2200uf 10v cap replace with 6.3v?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2200uf 10v cap replace with 6.3v?

i have a westinghouse monitor 19" that had been taking 5-15 minutes to come on, so i decided i'd open it up and check for bad caps. well, i found 1 bulging.

the bad cap is 2200uf 10v capXon p723. radioshack never carries anything and i dont want to wait 3 weeks to get caps over the internet. i happen to have a broken computer with a few 2200uf 6.3v sanyo n.e.91 caps. would one of those work fine? or would it just go bad right away since the slightly lower voltage rating?

and should i replace more than just the bulging cap?

Re: 2200uf 10v cap replace with 6.3v?

if the voltage is even close to 6.3v the sanyo will explode - literally.
    i wouldnt chance it.

if you have a broken computer, see what's in the psu - that's gotta have 10v and 16v rated caps in it.

Comment

i found a single 2200uf 16v SXE brand with
      (M)105c | 7(7) | 8I
      on the side, would this be a good replacement?

although, i just checked. i might not be able to get the case back together if i do use that one, its too tall. by about a quarter inch
      But! if i can run small wires and hot glue it in place elsewhere on the board... - is this a bad idea?
      Last edited by jasonbay13; 07-06-2014, 05:26 PM.

Comment

it is a bad idea,
        you could use it with the case open to see if it fixes the problem though.

what other caps are in the psu - 10v or 16v type?

Comment

there are no other 2200uf caps in the psu. others in it are 16 and 50v.
          why would it be a bad idea to extend the legs on the cap and place it elsewhere?

Comment

Yeah if it's too tall it would still be good for testing. If it works, great, you know what the problem was.

Then you should order some decent capacitors for a full recap anyway, especially if the rest are the same brand as the visibly failed one.

Originally posted by jasonbay13 View Post
            there are no other 2200uf caps in the psu. others in it are 16 and 50v.
            why would it be a bad idea to extend the legs on the cap and place it elsewhere?
            You could use a 16v one, higher voltage rating than the original is OK, just not lower.

Extending the leads is a bad idea as it introduces additional resistance which defeats the purpose of a Low ESR capacitor to begin with. Also may increase lead inductance which adds its own problems.
            Last edited by Agent24; 07-06-2014, 05:46 PM.
            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
            -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
              Yeah if it's too tall it would still be good for testing. If it works, great, you know what the problem was.

Then you should order some decent capacitors for a full recap anyway, especially if the rest are the same brand as the visibly failed one.
              if i have the choice, should i care about other factors besides the uf and voltage?

Comment

in that monitor its likely on the +5v line.
                the 6.3 will be fine.
                replace all on the power supply now or one at a time.your choice.

Comment

no it wont.
                  in fact it will work fine.it will see 5v in that position.
                  Originally posted by stj View Post
                  i wouldnt chance it.

if you have a broken computer, see what's in the psu - that's gotta have 10v and 16v rated caps in it.

Comment

if i have the choice, should i care about other factors besides the uf and voltage?
                    If you are talking about getting proper replacements as opposed to any old cap just for testing, then yes.

Capacitance (in this case, microfarads\uF) should be the same, voltage the same or higher, check the dimensions (as you already found, to make sure it fits) and ensure you get the ESR low enough.

Ideally you should look up the datasheets for the original capacitors and makes sure the replacements match - ESR same or lower.

In practice though you can generally get away with any standard Low ESR series from any decent brand.
                    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                    -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                      in that monitor its likely on the +5v line.
                      the 6.3 will be fine.
                      replace all on the power supply now or one at a time.your choice.
                      This. I do it all the time. If unsure, measure the voltage on the cap, if its 6.3v or less, a 6.3v replacement cap will be just fine.
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                      http://folding.stanford.edu/
                      Team : 49813
                      Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

thanks for all the input, i'm trying to desolder one of the 2200uf caps now. though it seems my tip isnt as effective as the first time i used it. do they require proper maintenance to keep working well?

Comment

as long as it's clean
                          i use a brass-wool tip cleaner - none of that wet sponge shit!

Comment

as long as it's clean
                            I've used a wet sponge for over 25 years, always been A-OK!!
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                            http://folding.stanford.edu/
                            Team : 49813
                            Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

thanks for all the input, i'm trying to desolder one of the 2200uf caps now. though it seems my tip isnt as effective as the first time i used it. do they require proper maintenance to keep working well?
                              The tip should be clean and a silver colour. If it's not, it's oxidized and you will have problems. Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_NU2ruzyc4

Is the capacitor on a multi-layer PCB? They are much harder to work on. Give photos of the capacitor and PCB if you are unsure.

What is your iron? Some may not have enough power. Make sure you add fresh solder to the joint first too, to ensure maximum heat transfer through the fresh solder from tip to joint.
                              -David VanHorn

Comment

Got it all soldered and put back together, plugged it in and the screen came right up saying no input signal. thx for everything.

The tip should be clean and a silver colour. If it's not, it's oxidized and you will have problems.
                                This ^^

What is your iron? Some may not have enough power. Make sure you add fresh solder to the joint first too, to ensure maximum heat transfer through the fresh solder from tip to joint.
                                I got a weller "medium duty" from lowes.

i have another thread in tv's. it has no backlight, it seems to be the inverter board, but no caps are bulged...: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...496#post461496

Comment

as long as it's clean
                                  I have used the wet sponge for over 40 years with no problems. I consider myself "Sponge Worthy", Sienfeld joke.

Comment

i have another thread in tv's. it has no backlight, it seems to be the inverter board, but no caps are bulged...
                                    That's when the fun starts
                                    But bear in mind not all bad capacitors bulge. That's where the ESR meter is handy.
                                    -David VanHorn

Comment

i wouldnt chance it.
                                      Are Sanyos more vulnerable to that than other brands? Because I replaced a bulging 10V, 2200uF Koshin brand cap with a 10V, 2200uF Sanyo, and 2 years later it bulged.

Comment

to make a capacitor bulge you either have to run it on it's voltage lmiit or put high rfequency ripple into a cap not designed for it.

what i posted was something else,
                                        as a design rule a cap's minimum voltage should be 1.5x the input voltage to allow for the ripple.
                                        5v x1.5 = 7.5 NOT 6.3 so using a 6.3v cap on a 5v line is asking for trouble down the road.

Comment

Working...
                                        X