Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the correct way solder a coin battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what is the correct way solder a coin battery?

I sometimes encounter laptop batteries that use coin type batteries, and the full part with connectors is no longer manufactured, and I need to replace the battery, and the actual battery portion is an easily available type. So I want to reuse the original connector and wires, or else use a well made battery holder.

So if I was going to reuse the original connector and wires, what is the trick to soldering wires to a coin type battery, without damaging the battery and also getting a strong physical connection so that the wires will not fall off of the coin battery?

or perhaps a well made battery holder is a better option? (not sure if well made and coin battery holder belong in the same sentence!)

here is a photo of a battery I need to replace, for clarity:

the BIG 4

~~~ the top tier of low-ESR electrolytic capacitors ~~~

Re: what is the correct way solder a coin battery?

I sand the surfaces (about #300 to #400 paper), apply flux, tin them, and then I tin the wires before soldering them to the battery.

Is that a rechargeable battery? My Toshiba A205 (Compal) uses a rechargeable lithium.

Comment

no, it is basically similar to a CR2032

the BIG 4

~~~ the top tier of low-ESR electrolytic capacitors ~~~

Comment

Be careful applying heat to these cells, I blew one up once trying to solder tabs on, luckily I had my specs on or I would have been hit in the eye.

nowadays I just fix the tabs to the cell with tightly wrapped insulation tape or heat shrink.

Comment

Pretty sure you will not find any of these batteries factory soldered. They spot weld them (less overall heat to dissipate).

Comment

for fucks sake - your all trying to hurt yourselves.

first remove the plastic and see if it's lithium disposeable, or lithium-thionyl-chloride rechargeable.

once you know, get one with tabs.

or if you have room, fit a low profile holder.

Comment

Perhaps even easier than that if you are in the US

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IWK9FUG/...G&linkCode=asn

Also available on ebay search GC02000KH00
              Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

You can get batteries with tabs already soldered to them. Here's an example: http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...657-ND/2404062

You can solder wires to those tabs easily.

You can spot weld wires and tabs to batteries but the equipment is not cheap...it's cheaper to just get a battery holder and once you solder the wires to the iron holder, you can just use some heatshrink material to prevent the battery holder from shorting something.

Holders: http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...=0&pageSize=25

Comment

Another thing you could do is get *any* model of battery that is the right chemistry\voltage, which comes with *any* leads pre-attached, then cut them off and splice the old wires on. Don't forget the heatshrink!
                  "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                  -David VanHorn

Comment

I bought some cheap battery holders from dx.
                    I've seen a few hacks where a spot welder has been made using a transformer from a microwave. Looks very dangerous to me though.

Comment

I just tape them together tightly. Works fine.
                      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Thanks for info, assume same principle for laptop power batteries which are also used in power tools battery packs. I replaced a dead cell in a powerpack for a handheld trimmers from with a laptop cell (same power specs), next time will just try heat resistant tape.
                        If done right a glue-gun might also work.
                        -----------------
                        A simple cheap SMD airflow tool is a handheld gas soldering iron without the iron :. is a selective hot airflow which can be regulated by turning up/down gas, also no onerous air lead. I have replaced many components without damaging them or the solder pads all within seconds... can also be used as a soldering iron & on heat shrink
                        .----------------

Comment

i would cut the wire from old battery and with a solder iron and some solder flux paste (the acid ones) i would solder the new battery in and cover with some kapton.

Comment

Originally posted by dellxps15 View Post
                            i would cut the wire from old battery and with a solder iron and some solder flux paste (the acid ones) i would solder the new battery in and cover with some kapton.
                            +1

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Orange View Post
                              Thanks for info, assume same principle for laptop power batteries which are also used in power tools battery packs. I replaced a dead cell in a powerpack for a handheld trimmers from with a laptop cell (same power specs), next time will just try heat resistant tape.
                              If done right a glue-gun might also work.
                              dont do stupid shit with big lithium ion cells - that's how things blow up.

those cells must be replaced as a set or they will be out of balance when you charge them.

there was some foto's on candlepower forums of what can happen when they fail.
                              a guy had one explode in an aluminium torch,
                              it blasted the aluminium shrapnal across his kitchen so hard that it punctured the stainless-steel body of a coffee pot!!!

lucky for him, he was out when it blew!

Comment

There are many conductive epoxies that will work. The best is Silver epoxy, but is expensive. Other have nickel or some other form of metal to reduce the cost, but still offer low resistivity. Some epoxies set with high temperature and others set at 77 degrees F. If you buy some make sure at what temp. it sets up at.

Comment

Just buy one that already has solder tabs or wires spot welded to it... they're not hard to get...
                                  "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                  -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                                  X