Another HDD issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another HDD issue

It sounds to me that having a HD that decreases in speed is caused by a software problem. The platter is just a magnetic hard disk. Most problems occur with the read head. Have you done a disk surface test? This test is suppose to remember the bad sectors and not write to them but can read from them if there is readable data. This is a site that has such a test for free. http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus...rface-test.htm

Comment

Originally posted by keeney123 View Post
      It sounds to me that having a HD that decreases in speed is caused by a software problem. The platter is just a magnetic hard disk. Most problems occur with the read head. Have you done a disk surface test? This test is suppose to remember the bad sectors and not write to them but can read from them if there is readable data. This is a site that has such a test for free. http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus...rface-test.htm
      More likely an ATA cable, ATA controller issue or a bad board on the HDD, if it consistently stays capped at a real low rate.
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Question, could the temperature sensor detect a rise in temperature and then slow down the computer?

Comment

Originally posted by keeney123 View Post
          Question, could the temperature sensor detect a rise in temperature and then slow down the computer?
          Yes, if talking about the CPU temp sensor.
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Yes, that is what I am talking about. It could be the sensor is bad or the fan is not working or the fan is set to passive instead of active.

Comment

I don't think you can set the CPU fan to passive (at least on many motherboards you can't). However, you could still have an overheating CPU if the fan is clogged, not spinning, or something like that. Check temperatures with SpeedFan, and check CPU speed with CPU-Z. Depending on how old your computer is though, you may see the CPU throttle-down when idle to save power. All recent CPUs (as of the last 8-10 years or so) have this feature. So if you see your CPU throttle down, don't panic. Open a browser and watch a random video on YouTube or do something CPU-intensive. The CPU speed should ramp up to maximum speed (unless you have Windows Vista or later and a very aggressive power-saving settings - in fact, check this before anything else).
              Last edited by momaka; 11-07-2014, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Sorry for late replies but this drive is slow in 2 different PC's using different sata cables... The vista virtual machine still works though and i installed all updates and other stuff to see if it would die and it hasnt, it just reallocated a few more sectors... it was running hot before i realised it was slow (around 56C) because the fan died that was cooling my drives and this one had intensive use

Comment

You might want to reformate the drive and load the operating system back on it or if you have a good drive with the operating system on it you could clone the good drive to your slow drive and replace the good drive with the slow drive and see if it is still running slow?

Comment

Originally posted by blasterboomer View Post
                    Is there any program that can read a certain area of the hdd endlessley to see if any bad blocks come back in that area
                    The MHDD diagnostic that RJARRRPCGP mentioned will let you specify the LBAs of the first and last sectors you want tested. I don't know if a different diagnostic, HDAT2, allows that.

Comment

im still running a windows 7 vm on it... and the vm goes over some of the bad sectors but it doesnt seem to care and works fine... even chkdsk within the vm finds nothing hmmm its slow as hell though

Comment

Have you tried to defragment the disk?

Comment

il do that now

Comment

EDIT: defrag finished.. slowly..

Gotta love that 6MB/s write speed

Last edited by blasterboomer; 11-28-2014, 11:09 AM.

Comment

So did the defrag help or not?

Comment

it made it reallocate more but its still slow, it took 3 days to do those updates... im just gonna keep running it till it dies

Comment

I wonder if you would run this diagnostic of my benefit? http://support.wdc.com/product/downl...&sid=3&lang=en

Comment

il run it and report back... so far this hdd is still running but now it doesnt show any bad sectors pending reallocation but when i do an error scan it shows new bad sectors, but never reallocates anymore or marks them as pending.

Comment

Originally posted by blasterboomer View Post
                                      il run it and report back... so far this hdd is still running but now it doesnt show any bad sectors pending reallocation but when i do an error scan it shows new bad sectors, but never reallocates anymore or marks them as pending.
                                      How many are reallocated? It might be out of spares.

Comment

It failed the quick test and currently is running the extended test. some screenshots from the quick test.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

This is the SMART info for the hdd. looks like it still has a few spares... i wonder if its running low so it gets more strict or something and only reallocates very bad ones
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X