RIP Silicon Graphics Inc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP Silicon Graphics Inc.

SGI is being bought out by Rackable Systems for a mere $25 million USD.

http://www.sgi.com/company_info/news.../rackable.html

Feel free to discuss, although we all know what killed them..... I'm typing on one of these "killer micros" right now.

Re: RIP Silicon Graphics Inc.

SGI litteraly went on sale: the bare IP is worth 10 times that price. Moreover I have the sinister feel SGI won't come back into server businnes, let alone the graphical workstation one. Pity

Zandrax
    Have an happy life.

Comment

Yeah, I think Rackable Systems just wanted some larger server designs to play with.

Their Visual Workstation lineup was nice if no longer unique..... its a good x86-64 box with an NVIDIA workstation card or two strapped in. No insane custom hardware like they had in the 1990s.

Its still sad to see the inventor of OpenGL go down like this.

I still have my Octane... and I still love it for its uniquely SGI funkyness.

Comment

Alas, hopefully out of the darkness of such a loss, specific things like the Irix source code, becomes available to the net.
        Here I am with seven SGI systems and now I'm having to look to external sources of the stuff they once had. I'm going to miss them.
        Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Comment

Is Rackable Systems any good? I keep seeing a 450W 1U power supply on craigslist and wouldn't mind snagging it to replace the 250W in my blade server, but I don't know if they're any good.
          Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Comment

To be honest, I have never heard them in my life.
            Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Comment

They should be decent..... they wouldn't be around long in the server market if their components were garbage. Id pick up the PSU...chances are its good.

If you do buy it, post pics of the internals!

Oh and I do hope they open up IRIX....or at the very least allow people to freely distribute the disc images. (seriously...what would Rackable want with that old code?)

Comment

If I understood the news correctly, they paid a few millions for the company, but they also became accountable for the huge debt SGI accumulated.

Comment

Originally posted by jpdoe
                  If I understood the news correctly, they paid a few millions for the company, but they also became accountable for the huge debt SGI accumulated.
                  I do believe that is correct. They "assumed some liabilities" as part of the transaction..... what that actually means will be seen when the transaction is completed.

Comment

Originally posted by hardwareguy
                    They should be decent..... they wouldn't be around long in the server market if their components were garbage. Id pick up the PSU...chances are its good.

If you do buy it, post pics of the internals!
                    Up on Page 19 of the build pictorial thread.
                    Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Comment

Working...
                    X