What a Noob!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a Noob!

post the worst/dumbest/most funny thing you have seen a noob do.

try to keep it computer related- i will start a separate thread for non computer stuff in off topic/lounge...

WHAT A NOOB!!!!!!!!!!
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Re: What a Noob!

to start:

i once had a computer that the customer said the floppy wasn't working. the reason why: when i opened it, the cd sound cable was connected to the floppy drive's mini-berg power connector !

my friend's parents own a small computer shop out of thier house. they build machines with a-power power supplies. theyt say they have an excellent life span, 4 years. bullshit. i showed and told them why to ditch a-power and i hope they followed my advice. i showed them an a-power that i used to use with all of the el-cheapshit caps blown (blown bad) and pitiful heatsinks.

i had a teacher that gave me a 4-year-old computer for free (needed some parts and more ram) and referred it to it as a "dinosaur". an athlon in 2006? a dinosaur then would be pentium mmx and lower...
    sigpic

Comment

one of my friends wanted to add more RAM to his rig. easy, right? well...apparently not. I told him it only goes in one way, and is impossible to mess up. well, somehow, he ended up breaking both new RAM sticks, as well as the slots themselves. since then he lets me do all his upgrades...

WHAT A NOOB!

Comment

nice
        sigpic

Comment

Walk into a local small computer business, they have a inhouse computer that they make that is supposed to be a "reliable and powerful computer" more targeted at the gamers and general high performance users.

I ask to see the inside of one.

What do I see but a chiefmax leadman unit, crucible (no, not spelling that wrong, it was major crucial knock-off) with a pc-chips motherboard.

Cheapest piece of shit I have ever seen, and they were charging about $750 for it, and it was only a 3800+ with 1gb of ram and a 6200LE.

I told him to change out the cheifmax with the seasonic's they were selling and put one of their gigabyte motherboards in it. He was so convinced that chiefmax was reliable and so was pc-chips, but he hated ECS (didn't accept the fact that PC-chips are ECS)

Comment

good god! never shop there! they sell crap so you have to come back and buy overpriced repair service! dumb bastards!
            sigpic

Comment

oh and crucible refers to the thing you melt metal in. thats how hot the chips will get under minimal load (dos 3.1). burn baby burn!
              sigpic

Comment

I threw in some old memory chips in the crucible at our school's machine shop. The light up really quick, and then just turn into impurities floating on the top.

Comment

sounds fun. my shop class never has time for that- too busy welding old rusted through truck beds- a class full of rednecks who are very racist and mean
                  sigpic

Comment

I have too many to pick just one.
                    But out of the top of my head, I had a teacher that liked to babble instead of teaching the assigned subjects. He once commanded us to watch "The net" movie. Apparently it portraited technical computing matters very realisticly, and that made it a learning opportunity too good to ignore.

Comment

i had a customer that brought me a laptop that had xp hosed edition (by hosed i mean virus filled). she said "i only used it for limewire. you have to be online to get a virus, so i thought i needed none, right? i dont use ie and i seldom use firefox. im immune, right?" FYI- limewire= p2p= unlocked back-door= prepare for malware!

i also keep on seeing these usb powered vibrating massagers at my local goodwill. someone has been buying them, probably friyng usb ports every day. stoop!d noobs!
                      sigpic

Comment

My friend, my good friend killed another Dell Inspiron Lappy today. It only needed a restore because it would hang on the boot now and then. He runs no antivirus or spyware blockers at all, and he's online all the time. Well he decieded it was trashed so he took the drill motor to it. He put six three eigths drill holes in this Lappy. All he did was wreck the screen, and mobo! I took it out of his trash can and showed him how he missed the 80 gig HD. I wish that I had been quiet!!!! I would have that eighty gig HD to wipe clean and put in my Dell Lappy right now if I had. As it is I got the CD-RW/DVD-ROM Drive, its charger and cord, its Dell 56k dialup modem, and another Dell COA for windows Xp home. The funny part is that he has a much newer Inspiron Lappy in the shop, and he's almost ready to smash this one too! He just can't believe that if I pull its HD and give it back to him that there is no way anybody can steal his personal information. Fools and their money soon part!
                        His Father Inlaw just died, and in his house he has found a few real treasure too. The first is a Sharps Carbine in.45 cal. The other is one of the famous long guns of the Civil War. I told him when he deceides to drill a hole in these to please call me first! He said he wouldn't destroy them because they may be worth money! What an Ass!
                        This is also the person that I got my fine running 42" cut garden tractor from for nothing. It was his Father Inlaws, and has sat in the shed for the past five years, and not used. After $150.00 for all the crap it needed its almost perfect now. The needle & seat in the carb is still hanging, and flooding the oil with gas, but I will fix this. Cheap as the price was I'm just going to buy a complete carb for it.
                        "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                        Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                        John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                        Rod Serling

Comment

i hate it when assholes destroy good stuff just because they dont like it. half the time it was newer than what i have and i cant afford what they destroyed.

thats because we have a throwaway society. Like mmy mom's friend who is so anti-fixit that he would probably:

when the bulb burnt out in the lamp he buys a new lamp

or

when the batteries go out in his remote, new home theater system time. having his house nearly forclosed due to his lack of frugalness set him strait.

i also hate this one friend who told me to go to hell because i refuse to suck bill gates **** by using windows. he sais linux if for fags. he aint a friend no more. i have no friends anymore, they all abandoned me because i was diffferent

at least i still have my computers. they usually dont abandon me. they let me choose what i want for an os.

and here at badcaps, at least they treat me with respect and (most of the time) give good advice.
                          sigpic

Comment

I had a system I added a drive to like a year +.5 ago come in for file recovery on the D drive [She thought a virus got it but C drive was D.E.A.D. - 9 year old Maxtor and she leaves it on 24/7,,, no wonder..]
                            She FINALLY got a new system so all I had to do was get her files on to a portable drive, wipe it, and then it's mine.
                            Somewhere in between the last time I saw it and this time she replaced the DVD Burner. Also has a DVD player, both are IDE and connected on the same cable.
                            - But I only saw one in My Computer. [I put in another C drive for temp.]
                            So I popped a disc into the top drive to see if it showed up.
                            It did.
                            Using the mouse I clicked 'eject' to remove the CD.
                            The OTHER [bottom] drive tray opened.
                            -
                            Both were jumpered as Master. [And she was using it like that.]
                            Even with it connected that way it doesn't seem like THAT should happen.
                            Weird.
                            Mann-Made Global Warming.
                            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                            -

Comment

OK I'll jump in on this,
                              So a friend of mine "who will remain nameless" always asks me to fix this or that calls me and asks if i will show him how to use VNC. I always tell the guy you will never learn anything if I always do it for you. I also tried the "Google is your friend method". Keep in mind this was no one time deal, It was daily. Everything from will you turn this WAV into an mp3 to cleaning out his case. I said ok to the vnc.. emailed him a download link and while talking on the phone I asked his IP. Connected then right clicked and was going to act like I was deleting his my documents. But he had turned off the "Are you sure you want to delete this" Option. I herd a GASP over the line and POOF it was gone. It was not my intention to remove everything this the guy had saves for 5 years. Pictures, Guitar tab, Music, His Journal. I was going to act like it. Needless to say he does not ask me for help anymore. But on the positive side he is very good at maintaining his own machine now. I tried to recover the lost data but could only recover the names of each file. So it was torture him being able to see exactly what he lost without ever having it again. I still feel like a royal asshole.
                              ^Learning to walk on rice paper without leaving a trace,

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                                I had a system I added a drive to like a year +.5 ago come in for file recovery on the D drive [She thought a virus got it but C drive was D.E.A.D. - 9 year old Maxtor and she leaves it on 24/7,,, no wonder..]
                                She FINALLY got a new system so all I had to do was get her files on to a portable drive, wipe it, and then it's mine.
                                Somewhere in between the last time I saw it and this time she replaced the DVD Burner. Also has a DVD player, both are IDE and connected on the same cable.
                                - But I only saw one in My Computer. [I put in another C drive for temp.]
                                So I popped a disc into the top drive to see if it showed up.
                                It did.
                                Using the mouse I clicked 'eject' to remove the CD.
                                The OTHER [bottom] drive tray opened.
                                -
                                Both were jumpered as Master. [And she was using it like that.]
                                Even with it connected that way it doesn't seem like THAT should happen.
                                Weird.
                                setting jumpers like that is a recipe fo doom. i have seen drive do almost anything when you do that- go cable select!
                                sigpic

Comment

I have a sister inlaw like that. She ended up with four or five home builts from me for free. I'd build and program then deliever them to her home Which is eighty five miles from me. It would last two weeks, and windows would end up all screwed up, and she would be calling me to come down and reprogram it again. Well she started bad talking my builds...saying they were no good...ect. My best PC at the time was a Gateway P4. so I took it down there and just switched them out. I had not even gotten back home before she was calling saying it was a POS, and windows would not work! I told her to take it to the Geeks or something and get it fixed because I'm done screwing around with you. You cost me too much money! She put the Gateway in her closet and bought another PC from a "friend." This "friend" charged he $350.00 For a Pentium 75 with windows 98 on it....LOL It lasted a few days and it too was screwed. She then had the nerve to call me to fix it! I told her "No Frigging Way!" "Its not one of my PC's, and anyway its a POS that can't even run Xp." Didn't hear anymore about it until last weekend. She wanted to know why she can't play the games online....ect, and it wouldn't burn DVD's or download anything. It was giving her warning about the hard drive being full. Again I told her it was a POS and not worth messing with. Then she wants to know when I can setup the Gateway for her again. I said "anytime you want, and because you are family I'm only going to charge you $150.00 to do it. Keep in mind this is 85 miles away and ruins a whole day just for one job. She didn't bite thank god! I also found out what was killing all my builds down at her place. She lets a three year old, and a five year old play with her PC with no supervision at all. She just had them up here with her and first the five year old tried to pluck my Chihuahuas eye out with his thumb. The next day he tried to do the samething to my Bull-Mastiff! I went the hell off too! I don't care how stupid or retarded you are, you are not going to come to my house and hurt my dogs! When she left the other day I told her she can come back anytime she wants but the Brats are not welcome here again until they are 21 years old!
                                  "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                                  Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                                  John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                                  Rod Serling

Comment

I've never had a problem with Master/Slave [when it's done correctly] and I prefer it.
                                    Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                    -
                                    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                    -

Comment

CS dosen't really work well on some drives, especially older drives.

Comment

Originally posted by Junk Parts
                                        My friend, my good friend killed another Dell Inspiron Lappy today.
                                        What a complete dipshit.
                                        He probably drills holes in his head to relieve a headache.

As Bugs says, "What a macaroon"

Comment

Working...
                                        X