shorted celeron cpu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: shorted celeron cpu?

frankly, i would rather put proper capacitance and voltage even if it wasn't low-esr.
    (if old caps indeed are bad, then even general purpose cap will have lower esr than those badcaps..)

if it works, find low-esr caps later(if possible)...if not, ask yourself is it worth more effort etc.

Comment

If you live in Buenos Aires, you can see if you find proper caps on a place I've heard of. I don't know for sure if this place carry proper capacitors (I don't live in BsAs). I've found out about them via google.

http://www.yel.com.ar
      representante oficial de RS COMPONENTS LTD en la Argentina

Something to be aware of: the motherboard might have a shorted chipset. With the motherboard on, check if the southbridge is too hot.
      Last edited by jpdoe; 12-23-2009, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jpdoe
        If you live in Buenos Aires, you can see if you find proper caps on a place I've heard of. I don't know for sure if this place carry proper capacitors (I don't live in BsAs). I've found out about them via google.

http://www.yel.com.ar
        representante oficial de RS COMPONENTS LTD en la Argentina

Something to be aware of: the motherboard might have a shorted chipset. With the motherboard on, check if the southbridge is too hot.
        i already check that, both southbridge and northbridge are fine and
        yes i live in Buenos Aires it takes me 30 min to get to RS COMPONENTS LTD en la Argentina but unfortunately they do not carry any 1500uf x 16v low esr caps
        Many thanks anyway

Comment

Too bad they don't carry the caps you need. The way I see it, you have three choices:

1) Scrap broken motherboards or power supplies to get proper caps.

2) Use general purpose (that is, not low esr) caps. Just make sure they're rated for 105ºC. I've used them ocassionaly, mostly for Pentium-PII-PIII motherboards, and usually I've been lucky. I prefer to use general purpose caps than to choose option number one. I've fixed a couple of PIV motherboards this way, too. I don't know how much the PIV mothers will last this way, tough. I'ts been about 6 months since I've fixed these PIV mothers.

3) Buy proper caps from abroad (the owner of this site sells them).

One last thing: The PCB markings of ASUS / Asrock motherboards (that indicate where the negative cap leg goes) are reversed.
          Last edited by jpdoe; 12-26-2009, 11:42 AM.

Comment

I almost forgot... Use 1500uf 16v instead of 1200uf. All I usually find locally on 16v 105ºC is 1500uf

Comment

nice posts there jpdoe

>2) Use general purpose (that is, not low esr) caps. Just make sure they're rated for 105ºC. I've used them ocassionaly, mostly for Pentium-PII-PIII motherboards, and usually I've been lucky. I prefer to use general purpose caps than to choose option number one. I've fixed a couple of PIV motherboards this way, too. I don't know how much the PIV mothers will last this way, tough. I'ts been about 6 months since I've fixed these PIV mothers.

perhaps it was not just the luck: perhaps it's an urban myth that esr difference between gp and low-esr matters that much, esp. knowing that badcaps(ie those that start to make troubles to circuit they're in) usually have esr many times higher than even gp caps...
              in other words, people usually SAY "put low esr everywhere", while less people actually try putting gp caps.
              (offcourse, putting low esr in place of gp caps can be downright wrong, as example with pi filters for psus shows...)

in the end, i think those gp caps will last in those P4 boards, given that they're not overheating, etc.
              and even if it lasts just 2-3 years, it was worth it...as gps are cheap and you can recap anytime you want. no need to wait to source better caps.

oh yeah, something handy, and doesn't look too expensive:
              http://stores.ebay.com/PC-MotherBoard-Capacitors-Store
              if you wanna order new...

it's old stock, so care should be taken if they need reforming(probably not, they're not thatold) etc.

Comment

Thanks, i4004.

Comment

Working...
                X