Laptop ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop ID

A customer called earlier today and asked me about a Twinhead E14A laptop which he needs repairing. I don't even know what the specs of the laptop are or even what it looks like. Tried the internet with no luck so far.... anyone able to help?

Thanks.
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Re: Laptop ID

Twinhead efio! E14A

http://www.twinhead.de/produkte/efio14A.htm

edit:

drivers
    http://www.gammatechusa.com/CSD/CDROM/driver/n14pa/
    Last edited by Scenic; 04-20-2009, 06:24 AM.

Comment

Thanks. Just what I need.
      Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

philips laptops are rebranded twinhead
        capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

As soon as I heard twinlead I thought of 300 ohm antenna cable .
          Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

H... not L lol

Comment

Wow I can't believe I misread that .

I think I've been dealing with TVs too much lately.
              Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Remember, once you service it, you own the consequences.

I did some routine anti-virus work on a customer's Windows ME machine, and it died in my arms. That one cost me about 3+ hours for a no-charge rebuild.

It is OK to decline dog work that only bites you in the butt.

Comment

Phillips makes laptops, whoa! If something dies on me, it dies on me. No telling when stone age equipment will kick the bucket. I'd tell the customer: "Sorry, it died. Do you want to pay to fix it or buy a new one." If I broke it, I'd feel guilty and fix it for free. If I know it just died then sucks to be you. The mechanic won't replace your trans if it dies after he changed the spark plugs.

Comment

Hi, NxB
                    The problem with that kind of thinking is that it would cost you a customer. So it comes to you to decide whether the future income offsets the additional work needed to fix the problem.
                    I guess it boils down to people's expectations. The auto mechanic's clients are acostumed to be charged that way. The PC repairman's clients usually don't understand the concept of "work in progress" and freak out when you tell them that the software gave up on you while you worked on it, and that you have to reinstall windows and charge them accordingly. They assume it's your fault. The problem is, there's no mechanical wear and tear equivalent for software.
                    Last edited by jpdoe; 04-23-2009, 06:39 PM.

Comment

This is a issue at our work as we specialize in repairing TVs but very, very occasionally work on notebooks. They have a risk if it totally tits up either you hold the whole bag (had happened!) or deal works out in the end. That's a Errr!

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

You may lose a customer. I don't know with a customer who brings in a windows ME computer.... Reinstalling windows is only an hour anyway. If hardware fails then tough for them. Had things like TVs and water damaged laptops fail while being worked on.

Comment

On paper, a Windows install is an hour away.
                          In reality, there are always driver issues, all the Windows Updates,
                          (
                          where is my Microsoft Office???
                          where is my eFax???
                          where is my ____fill in the blank
                          I was using Palm Desktop for my contacts, where are my contacts???
                          )

User data is the sort of problems you get with a rebuild.
                          The solution is imaging their entire bad installation (45 minutes to an hour)
                          Installing Windows
                          Installing updates
                          Installing all their old software
                          Restoring all their data

This is a long, tedious, and unpaid job.
                          No thanks.
                          Better to turn that kind of business away entirely.

Comment

Exactly. NxB, this is what we do NOT do on software. Windows is looong drawn out reinstall. I even try to avoid it!

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Working...
                            X