Logisys 575W

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Logisys 575W

What do you say about this? One of my friends bought this for his computer, and it somehow ran dual 8800GTS's. Not sure how, but it did.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817170017

I peeked in there when he changed it out (for a PC P+C silencer 750W thankfully,) and it is a lesson in cost cutting. BH branded caps and Canicon primaries, small heatsinks, almost no input filtering, 450W continuous, and 575W max? HUH? That's a rather large leap.

UL certification sticker, but no UL number either, hmm...

Re: Logisys 575W

Hahaha I had a '480 watt' Logisys which is a similar story - nonexistant input filtering, tiny fuhjyyu input caps, tiny heatsinks, and the same BH brand output caps. Turns out it's actually 330W, with a MAX LOAD of 480. Yeah, right. It had been powering my dual Xeon server for a year and a half when the current inrush limiter blew. I replaced that, and it works again, but I definitely don't trust it. I'm going to use it for soldering practice before I recap my brother's Antec PSU, and keep it around (with the new caps) for a backup. The PCB says 'KEERDA ELECTRONICS FACT0RY' Anybody heard of them?

Comment

Hehe I remember seeing Logisys pushing PSUs in acrylic cases with blue backlighting a few years back.

I wonder if when the PSUs finally melted down if they would melt right through the case ?

I guess the resulting plastic blob would be a nice piece of modern art.
      Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

People seem to think that in no way, shape, or form is one power supply better than another, and that all the trusted companies that have been around for a long time are trying to screw you for more money.

Just as there is no such thing as low quality and high quality in life, I mean, you can buy a office chair made in Bangladesh, and it is just as high quality as one made in the US or even china, even though it exploded and fell apart 2 minutes after you took it out of the box.

Comment

Oh I forgot to mention, one of the INPUT caps is bulging a bit....love those fuhjyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyu's....

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife
            What do you say about this? One of my friends bought this for his computer, and it somehow ran dual 8800GTS's. Not sure how, but it did.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817170017

I peeked in there when he changed it out (for a PC P+C silencer 750W thankfully,) and it is a lesson in cost cutting. BH branded caps and Canicon primaries, small heatsinks, almost no input filtering, 450W continuous, and 575W max? HUH? That's a rather large leap.

how bout some pics?
            btw we had a logisys seller come into the shop with a bunch of stuff to try to sell.the power supplies were typical "gutless wonders".
            none of the other items were anything to write home about either.
            like led fans marked ball bearing but having lots of endplay.ball bearings have zero endplay unless totally worn out.
            i noticed the ul logo but no "e" number too.newegg should know better than to sell junk but i guess there is good money to be made serving the walmart shopper folks.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
              how bout some pics?
              +1. This thread needs bacon

newegg should know better than to sell junk but i guess there is good money to be made serving the walmart shopper folks.
              "Good money" is probably an understatement. You see "700 watt" units priced at $30 with not even half the components that you'd get in a 300 watt FPS for the same price. And because the customer thinks that those "700 watt" units are such a great deal, they buy them like crazy.
              Last edited by momaka; 06-03-2009, 11:43 AM.

Comment

I'm pretty worried for the SLI certification: I fear it's fake given little to no filtering, marginal caps, small heatsinks ... just add small transformers and unrealistic outputs to complete the picture.
                Max load is most likely overrated, maybe continuous load too: post photos to see if is at least able to output the continuous 450 W or, more likely, about 300

Zandrax.
                Last edited by zandrax; 06-03-2009, 03:49 PM.
                Have an happy life.

Comment

"KEERDA ELECTRONICS FACT0RY"...
                  I've seen a couple of these PSUs. On one of them, the PCB had "ATX-1000" silkscreened; the other had "ATX-2000" on it. The most obvious difference between them was that the former had only one capacitor per each output (5v, 12v, 3.3v), while the latter had two. There was no inductance between them... the output filters consisted simply of one capacitor in the first case, and of two in parallell in the second.
                  Both had a resistance dangerously close to the capacitor filtering the 5vsb...
                  Both PSU lasted 1 1/2 years, 5 days per week, 5 hours per day. After that the 5vsb filtering cap was history.

Comment

Here are some pictures of my "480 Watt" Logisys.

Like jpdoe said, no inductors in the output filter. There are spots for a couple, but nothing there. The brown stuff on the output cap is glue.

Can anybody find the input filter? I can't either...all you get is a fuse and a current inrush limiter. That's the replacement one, the first one exploded.

Let's see if I attached the pictures properly...
                    Attached Files

Comment

This is not SLI compliant.

Get oen that is certified and it will cost pretty penny. 500-600W is enough. Preferably Seasonic retail.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife

LOL! "UL certified"!

Maybe, just possibly you're confusing the "Underwriters Laboratories" or "UL Recognized" logo with the very similar "(Reprobate/)Unscrupulous Losers, petty thieves, cutthroats and politicians of greater china" logo (UL or RU for short) which doesn't use a unique number because none of the members can count past three.

The main offices of (R)ULptcapogc are located in a suburb of Beijing named "usa" which is world renowned for its manufactured goods.

This is of course not far from Beijing's other famous suburb, "Tipping", a city that bug, dirt and rat dropping eaters everywhere have never heard of.

(ka)POWmax!
                        Keri
                        Last edited by KeriJane; 06-03-2009, 07:11 PM.
                        The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

Hello

Seriously, didn't somebody somewhere calculate that a PSU with four Diodes instead of a Bridge Rectifier is limited to about 290 watts on the input side?

Meaning that even less is available on the secondary side?

Sounds like Logisys might not be such a great PSU.

Plug it in and
                          DUCK!
                          Keri

Comment

Originally posted by KeriJane
                            Hello

Seriously, didn't somebody somewhere calculate that a PSU with four Diodes instead of a Bridge Rectifier is limited to about 290 watts on the input side?

Meaning that even less is available on the secondary side?

Sounds like Logisys might not be such a great PSU.

Plug it in and
                            DUCK!
                            Keri
                            ROFLOL!
                            now we know why that lizard or whatever that is on the label appears to be running.oh shit they plugged it in. RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!

Comment

WoW, I have NEVER seen a PSU use fucking diodes as a rectifier
                              I'm betting $5 that POS will blow up if you try to load it with more than 250W DC
                              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by etnietering
                                Here are some pictures of my "480 Watt" Logisys.

Like jpdoe said, no inductors in the output filter. There are spots for a couple, but nothing there. The brown stuff on the output cap is glue.

Can anybody find the input filter? I can't either...all you get is a fuse and a current inrush limiter. That's the replacement one, the first one exploded.

Let's see if I attached the pictures properly...
                                Looks identical, but the 575w had a cheap looking bridge rectifier.

One of the really fat ones with 10ft long leads.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson
                                  WoW, I have NEVER seen a PSU use fucking diodes as a rectifier
                                  I'm betting $5 that POS will blow up if you try to load it with more than 250W DC
                                  Hi Per.

Oh, we get the 4-diode Gutless Wonders ALL THE TIME over here in the USA.
                                  Practically all of the computer cases with an "included" PSU use the Logisys / PowMax / Diablo / Deer / NoName / KnockOff style of gutless wonder with all of these wonderful features:

Little or no Input Filtering so that you can annoy your neighbors!

Four-Diode treatment on the Primary. because Four Diodes are Cheaper than Bridge Rectifiers. Unfortunately, the ones that are cheaper than Bridge Rectifiers are usually limited to around 300w. Total. Not output. 270w or 290 is what I thought I saw somewhere.

No Active or Passive Power Factor Correction.

Really cheap and undersized Capacitors.

Really cheap fans.

Lots of empty spots on the PCB and/or jumper wires instead of components.

Really thin metal casing.

Really bad soldering.

Really thin output wires.

"Dummy" Weights!

A data sticker that is a case study in FRAUD. Or sometimes no sticker or a nearly blank one.

Most of these fire hazards bear a fraudulent Underwriters Laboratories (UL) or UL-Recognized (RU) marking. This practice of allowing fraudulently marked devices into the USA from China started in the 1990's and continues to this day. This defeats the whole purpose of the UL.

Why on Earth would anyone buy such a lousy and potentially unsafe PSU? Because they're Cheap, and we (as Americans) are Stupid. Why, everyone knows that all those "pricey" brands are just overpriced! It's all the same stuff on the inside.

If you want to bet $5 this thing would blow up at 251w, I'll bet a Diode that it actually COST about $5 to manufacture!

Have Fun!

Keri
                                  Last edited by KeriJane; 06-04-2009, 07:29 PM.

Comment

ROFLOL!
                                    now we know why that lizard or whatever that is on the label appears to be running.oh shit they plugged it in. RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!
                                    No, that's a little devil that comes out of the PSU to take away your computer when it blows up. Sometimes he can even take away your house, or just bring the hot flames of hell in it.

Comment

...10 minute edit limit? Anyways...

Keri: Your estimates are about right. A rough example:
                                      In a standard cheapo PSU, 3 amp diodes are the norm. In a best case scenario, those diodes will be able to do about 330 watts (that's 110v x 3 amps) without taking in account temperature derating. Now add an optimistic efficiency of 75% for the PSU, and you get 247.5 watts for the output.
                                      If you're in Europe, though, you can push the same PSU more since the voltage is 220v... but then the primary switchers will probably blow up just a few watts higher.
                                      Now I've seen even 1.5 amp diodes used for the bridge in a JNC (aka L&C) PSU. That was actually in a PII computer we used to have. Surprisingly, the diodes held up just fine (thanks to the 220v line voltage), but I can't say the same for the self-oscilating 5vsb circuit - it was burned and crunchy. *Sigh* JNC...
                                      Last edited by momaka; 06-04-2009, 11:00 PM.

Comment

KeriJane; Yea I know, we have shitty crap here too
                                        But actually all Deer and dereviates I've seen have used a bridge rectifier, like this one... (bottom one)

"The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Working...
                                        X