Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > General Topics > General Computer & Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2020, 07:43 PM   #1
RJARRRPCGP
Badcaps Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
City & State: North Springfield, Vermont
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 118-127V 59-63.5 Hz-> actualizo: pérdido de voltaje
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 5,295
Default PCs aren't extinct! (version 2.0)

Clearly, the years 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 were the "PC malaise era"!

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...t=48153&page=2

I noticed things were much better in 2019 and even now in 2020, with the new coronavirus, things are much better!

2018 was shit, because of the insane video card prices!
__________________
MSI B450 Tomahawk

Ryzen 7 "Matisse" 3700X

16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 SDRAM

XFX Radeon RX 580 8 GB

eVGA Supernova G3 750W






"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Don't eat yellow snow!" -Salem

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 06-04-2020 at 07:50 PM..
RJARRRPCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:46 PM   #2
Topcat
The Boss Stooge
 
Topcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
City & State: Salem, MO
My Country: United States
Line Voltage: 240V @ 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 13,403
Default Re: PCs aren't extinct! (version 2.0)

The first month of CV19, I sold every laptop I had. Month 2 of CV19, I'm into the desktops....and still selling.

I've been advertising a "work from home special"....base model starting @ $199 with upgrade options.
__________________
<--- Badcaps.net Founder & Owner

Badcaps.net Services:

Premade Capacitor Kits
Badcaps.net Capacitor Master List


Motherboard Repair Services


If you've come here in search of replacement capacitors or repair services, please use the links above.
----------------------------------------------
Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
http://folding.stanford.edu/
Team : 49813
Join in!!
Team Stats
Topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:03 PM   #3
RJARRRPCGP
Badcaps Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
City & State: North Springfield, Vermont
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 118-127V 59-63.5 Hz-> actualizo: pérdido de voltaje
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 5,295
Default Re: PCs aren't extinct! (version 2.0)

I got super creative on January 3, 2020, I suddenly found a bunch of new goodies in stock at the West Lebanon, New Hampshire Best Buy and got everything for my first Ryzen build!

I didn't need to get a PSU or SSDs, because I had them already.

Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 06-04-2020 at 08:04 PM..
RJARRRPCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:47 PM   #4
BigTroll
Badcaps Veteran
 
BigTroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
City & State: Jefferson
My Country: LAMBDA SOND
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Hardcore Geek
Posts: 1,072
Default Re: PCs aren't extinct! (version 2.0)

Yep with Ryzen pushing innovation and helping get intel off its ass its never been a better time to build. on the laptop front AMD has the amazing 7nm ryzen 4000 series, now you can get an 8 core laptop for under 600 bucks I think credit should be given to AMD for revitalizing the industry.

BTW also watched pirates of silicon valley tonight, I can recite the movie line for line and watching it as an 8th grader I give it credit for fueling my interest in computers.
__________________
My Computer: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 16GB Geil EVO X DDR4 3000, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,EVGA GTX 1080 SC, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro
BigTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:55 PM   #5
Topcat
The Boss Stooge
 
Topcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
City & State: Salem, MO
My Country: United States
Line Voltage: 240V @ 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 13,403
Default Re: PCs aren't extinct! (version 2.0)

Meh, I wouldn't go as far as say 'revitalized'....the golden era of the desktop is long gone and won't come back.....you can thank the micro devices for that. There is certainly a demand for 'big iron' systems still; servers, workstations, and the niche crowd (gamers). Massive CPU power isn't a big necessity amongst the average user these days.... The average user can do just fine with the I3/I5 AIO, 8gb RAM and a SSD.... Anything faster or more expensive, they wouldn't notice the difference other than their wallet being a little lighter...upgrading would yield no real gains....other than, well, their wallets being a little lighter....
Topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:10 PM   #6
BigTroll
Badcaps Veteran
 
BigTroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
City & State: Jefferson
My Country: LAMBDA SOND
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Hardcore Geek
Posts: 1,072
Default Re: PCs aren't extinct! (version 2.0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
Meh, I wouldn't go as far as say 'revitalized'....the golden era of the desktop is long gone and won't come back.....you can thank the micro devices for that. There is certainly a demand for 'big iron' systems still; servers, workstations, and the niche crowd (gamers). Massive CPU power isn't a big necessity amongst the average user these days.... The average user can do just fine with the I3/I5 AIO, 8gb RAM and a SSD.... Anything faster or more expensive, they wouldn't notice the difference other than their wallet being a little lighter...upgrading would yield no real gains....other than, well, their wallets being a little lighter....
There was a marketing term somewhere went something like "The PC is at the center of your digital universe" So I guess the Golden area is gone in that sense, where many people use a smartphone UGH as there main device or a tablet. I feel constricted using a smartphone and don't understand how some people can stare down at it all day like a zombie.
BigTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:22 PM   #7
RJARRRPCGP
Badcaps Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
City & State: North Springfield, Vermont
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 118-127V 59-63.5 Hz-> actualizo: pérdido de voltaje
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 5,295
Default Re: PCs aren't extinct! (version 2.0)

If people think that a good PC era isn't in the works, then why do I see a lot more gaming gear than I had in a while?

I remember that in the early-2010s, the West Lebanon, New Hampshire Best Buy hardly had squat for PC stuff, IIRC!

Why were there so many hardware supplying issues back in the early-2010s and possibly a bit before the 2010s? This includes the insane HDD prices in 2011 and likely 2012? Yes, I know that there was a flood in Thailand, where many HDDs are from.

The computer industry, is the most gaming-industry-driven that I saw in a while! Albeit both gaming and heavy-computing in general. I'm seeing lots of stuff in stock that are of course overkill for an "office machine".

Yes, there are a lot of rookies/noobs that will buy a POS PSU and a POS motherboard...

Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 06-04-2020 at 09:28 PM..
RJARRRPCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:34 PM   #8
BigTroll
Badcaps Veteran
 
BigTroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
City & State: Jefferson
My Country: LAMBDA SOND
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Hardcore Geek
Posts: 1,072
Default Re: PCs aren't extinct! (version 2.0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
If people think that a good PC era isn't in the works, then why do I see a lot more gaming gear than I had in a while?

I remember that in the early-2010s, the West Lebanon, New Hampshire Best Buy hardly had squat for PC stuff, IIRC!

Why were there so many hardware supplying issues back in the early-2010s and possibly a bit before the 2010s? This includes the insane HDD prices in 2011 and likely 2012? Yes, I know that there was a flood in Thailand, where many HDDs are from.

The computer industry, is the most gaming-industry-driven that I saw in a while! Albeit both gaming and heavy-computing in general. I'm seeing lots of stuff in stock that are of course overkill for an "office machine".

Yes, there are a lot of rookies/noobs that will buy a POS PSU and a POS motherboard...
I agree preach it Randy! Remember the good ole days of FRYS ECS motherboard CPU/COMBOs the cpu with the ecs board was cheaper then just the cpu at most places and the motherboards were usually huge turds with GLORIOUS OST CAPS and beautiful PURPLE PCBs what more could someone want!
BigTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:46 PM   #9
RJARRRPCGP
Badcaps Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
City & State: North Springfield, Vermont
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 118-127V 59-63.5 Hz-> actualizo: pérdido de voltaje
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 5,295
Default Re: PCs aren't extinct! (version 2.0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTroll View Post
I agree preach it Randy! Remember the good ole days of FRYS ECS motherboard CPU/COMBOs the cpu with the ecs board was cheaper then just the cpu at most places and the motherboards were usually huge turds with GLORIOUS OST CAPS and beautiful PURPLE PCBs what more could someone want!
Of course, I was talking about a lot of stuff in stock that are likely made better than that. They usually use caps that aren't so failure prone, except for PSUs that are less than gold-rated, especially bronze-rated PSUs, AFAIK.

In fact, you need to watch out for some pre-builds. I saw some marked-up cheap-ass-looking PCs. They didn't look as well made as Dell tends to make their PCs.

Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 06-04-2020 at 09:51 PM..
RJARRRPCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:00 PM   #10
Topcat
The Boss Stooge
 
Topcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
City & State: Salem, MO
My Country: United States
Line Voltage: 240V @ 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 13,403
Default Re: PCs aren't extinct! (version 2.0)

Me of all people would love to see a PC rebirth like it used to be....but sadly it's just not reality.

When I started (early 90's), if I quoted $4000 for a custom build, it didn't scare the buyer away. Quote $400 today and see what happens. The gamer crowd (niche crowd) has always been a driving force, that has never ceased....and it won't cease....but that alone isn't even close to being enough market share to create some big PC bubble to start building... Businesses still use PC's.....but 'big iron' (custom builds), not so much....they want mini PC's and AIO's....and most of all, cheap. What they use their PC's for, a Ryzen would yield them nothing....you don't need that kind of power for invoicing, spreadsheets, and web browsing.

I really hate being the 'negative nancy' with this one....but there's not a big PC rebirth on the horizon....I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am....but FWIW, I'll be one of the last to give up my monster workstation!
Topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:24 PM   #11
RJARRRPCGP
Badcaps Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
City & State: North Springfield, Vermont
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 118-127V 59-63.5 Hz-> actualizo: pérdido de voltaje
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 5,295
Default Re: PCs aren't extinct! (version 2.0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
they want mini PC's and AIO's....and most of all, cheap. What they use their PC's for, a Ryzen would yield them nothing....you don't need that kind of power for invoicing, spreadsheets, and web browsing.
True, if it's a place like HCRS, LOL! HCRS has a bunch of SFF PCs, the last time I checked in the main HCRS building. (tiny boxes)

Sure, I don't expect it to be near exactly like the days you're hoping for, but it sure is better than 2012-2016!

If anything, it looks like it's the coronavirus that's causing Best Buy to close!
Sadly, despite what you said above, it looks like I'm being forced back into e-tailers again. So it will feel more like 2015, but not because of an artificial crisis this time, AFAIK!

Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 06-04-2020 at 10:32 PM..
RJARRRPCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 01:57 PM   #12
RJARRRPCGP
Badcaps Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
City & State: North Springfield, Vermont
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 118-127V 59-63.5 Hz-> actualizo: pérdido de voltaje
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 5,295
Default Re: PCs aren't extinct! (version 2.0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
In fact, you need to watch out for some pre-builds. I saw some marked-up cheap-ass-looking PCs. They didn't look as well made as Dell tends to make their PCs.
BTW, the PCs I were talking about at Best Buy, weren't from Dell. The Dell ones tend to be better in build quality, at least noticeable in the cooling department.

"iBuyPower"?=I would at least change the PSU pronto, it you get a PC from them!
RJARRRPCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 02:29 PM   #13
BigTroll
Badcaps Veteran
 
BigTroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
City & State: Jefferson
My Country: LAMBDA SOND
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Hardcore Geek
Posts: 1,072
Default Re: PCs aren't extinct! (version 2.0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
BTW, the PCs I were talking about at Best Buy, weren't from Dell. The Dell ones tend to be better in build quality, at least noticeable in the cooling department.

"iBuyPower"?=I would at least change the PSU pronto, it you get a PC from them!
lol funny you mention that, our school bought some ibuypower computers for their esports gaming class and they had a 6 core i5 i think with RTX2060s in them and they were powered by some shit 500w non active pfc power supply, one took a dump already so I had them buy a evga 500 watt basic supply.
BigTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Badcaps.net Technical Forums © 2003 - 2020
Powered by vBulletin ®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:30 AM.
Did you find this forum helpful?