Help with Toshiba Satellite L355D Linux install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Toshiba Satellite L355D Linux install

Hi guys hope you ok on this difficult time.
    my son brought me a Laptop Toshiba Satellite L355D Amd Turion 64x2 TLco 2.ghz ,3Ghz ram 32bit with vista installed,but it's sluggish and might have virus and lack of updates,in the end doesn't work right,no updates no assistance from Microsoft.
    i tried to install XUbuntu 18.04 from a CD,it downloads right and after download it starts to install but some time after it goes blank and hangs in there ,it wont install, i restart and it asks for a boot cd , anything that i can do different?thanks.

Re: Help with Toshiba Satellite L355D Linux install

Please describe more clearly what's happening and at which step (post pictures if you cannot explain it properly).
    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

will it run a live version ok ?

Comment

before you scrap windows, make sure the bios is upto date,
        you cant flash it from Linux.
        and booting from usb to flash only works if the bios is not in a damned wrapper.

Comment

Thanks guys issue solved. i've got fooled by Amd Turion 64x2 TLco , i thought it was 64bit and tried to install 64 bit ,but i installed the 32bit and now all good.

Comment

strange, turion *is* 64bit.
            what part number is it, TL68?

Comment

Some manufacturers didn't add proper support for 64 bit in BIOS probably.
              A HP DV6356 w/ a Turion TL-60 I used to have couldn't boot or install Win7 x64 for the life of it.

Swapped in a Intel PM965 based DV6700 board w/ GF8400M GT and so far it runs butter smooth, and relatively cool much to my surprise, x64 of course.
              Main rig:
              Gigabyte B75M-D3H
              Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
              Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
              16GB DDR3-1600
              Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
              FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
              120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
              Delux MG760 case

Comment

Turion definitely supports 64-bit with no problem. And I personally haven't seen a laptop sold with a Turion where the BIOS didn't have 64-bit support.
                Even a dv5140eu runs smoothly under Lubuntu 18.04 64-bit. Note that this is a socket 754 one so it doesn't support Windows 10 (only up to 8, not 8.1). All S1 socket machines should run W10 fine.

That's as long as you don't have a failing northbridge btw… RS780/RS880 (for S1g2 to S1g4 sockets) are not very reliable. S1g1 often have a 690 northbridge that's not as bad but you never know what can happen.

An Nvidia 8400M is definitely way less reliable…

On Intel platforms it's a bit more complicated as Core was 32-bit only while Core 2 was 64-bit but the underlying hardware platform supported both CPU. It often required a BIOS update to install a Core 2 on a machine that came with Core, and not all of them did get an update. Even more confusing on the desktop side with Pentium 4 and Pentium D…

Comment

Originally posted by piernov View Post
                  Turion definitely supports 64-bit with no problem. And I personally haven't seen a laptop sold with a Turion where the BIOS didn't have 64-bit support.
                  Even a dv5140eu runs smoothly under Lubuntu 18.04 64-bit. Note that this is a socket 754 one so it doesn't support Windows 10 (only up to 8, not 8.1). All S1 socket machines should run W10 fine.

That's as long as you don't have a failing northbridge btw… RS780/RS880 (for S1g2 to S1g4 sockets) are not very reliable. S1g1 often have a 690 northbridge that's not as bad but you never know what can happen.

On Intel platforms it's a bit more complicated as Core was 32-bit only while Core 2 was 64-bit but the underlying hardware platform supported both CPU. It often required a BIOS update to install a Core 2 on a machine that came with Core, and not all of them did get an update. Even more confusing on the desktop side with Pentium 4 and Pentium D…
                  thanks mate this one is 32bit,and not worth to mess around,besides no support for vista, besides it seems my son don't want the computer;one more to my scrap,i have 7 more computers of all kinds
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by ivtec; 04-16-2020, 10:22 AM.

Comment

TL60 is 64bit.
                    i dont care that they used a 32bit windows - that was to be cheap

Comment

Maybe it's just my case, but my DV6356eu did not work with Windows 7 x64. I had a Geforce 6100 chipset along with the 7200GO, and it would freeze at the final stage (Completing Installation). Windows 7 32 bit would work just fine though.

And believe me, a 8400M GS was much more welcome than a 7200GO that was heating up even worse

I stopped using the DV6700 a long time ago, ever since I moved to a DV6 and now to a nice Acer Aspire 6930G w/ 9600M GT that runs fairly cool, despite being nVidia.
                      Last edited by Dan81; 04-17-2020, 06:04 AM.
                      Main rig:
                      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                      16GB DDR3-1600
                      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                      Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                        Maybe it's just my case, but my DV6356eu did not work with Windows 7 x64. I had a Geforce 6100 chipset along with the 7200GO, and it would freeze at the final stage (Completing Installation). Windows 7 32 bit would work just fine though.

And believe me, a 8400M GS was much more welcome than a 7200GO that was heating up even worse

I stopped using the DV6700 a long time ago, ever since I moved to a DV6 and now to a nice Acer Aspire 6930G w/ 9600M GT that runs fairly cool, despite being nVidia.
                        Mate you mean HP DV6? i have 2 Laptops HP DV6 1254DX and DV5 1245US and both work flawless for what i need.

Comment

I have 3 of those Quanta AT8 boards with that garbage NVidia chipset obviously dead. I also have 1 Quanta AT2 with NVidia dGPU, the dGPU actually gave up before the chipset.
                          It's not because they run especially hot (really the CPU is what heats up like crazy on those) but rather because they are known defective series. So I wouldn't be surprised if a partial failure resulted in having issues with installing Windows 64-bit, even though interestingly enough it worked with 32-bit.
                          The 9600M shouldn't have those flaws and the 6930G runs with an Intel chipset so nothing wrong there.

Comment

I have 3 of those Quanta AT8 boards with that garbage NVidia chipset obviously dead. I also have 1 Quanta AT2 with NVidia dGPU, the dGPU actually gave up before the chipset.
                            It's not because they run especially hot (really the CPU is what heats up like crazy on those) but rather because they are known defective series. So I wouldn't be surprised if a partial failure resulted in having issues with installing Windows 64-bit, even though interestingly enough it worked with 32-bit.
                            The 9600M shouldn't have those flaws and the 6930G runs with an Intel chipset so nothing wrong there.
                            My DV5 1245US has that heating up issue, but DV6 1254 dx ATI RADEON RS780M is ok i guess hp fixed the heating up issue
                            Last edited by ivtec; 04-17-2020, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ivtec View Post
                              Mate you mean HP DV6? i have 2 Laptops HP DV6 1254DX and DV5 1245US and both work flawless for what i need.
                              Nope, DV6000 series. Old one was a DV6356EU w/ mobo 433280-001 , and the newer one is a DV6728eo w/ mobo 460900-001 (GF 8400GS + PM965).

I do have a DV6-2125so though, if that's what you're asking.
                              Last edited by Dan81; 04-20-2020, 12:26 PM.
                              Main rig:
                              Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                              Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                              16GB DDR3-1600
                              Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                              Delux MG760 case

Comment

Ok guys i was able to install Xubuntu 19.04 64 bit on this Toshiba L355D and it runs great now,what i did different . I did another new CD iso,

Comment

Working...
                                X