Vizio VW42L HDTV10A no picture or sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vizio VW42L HDTV10A no picture or sound

Question: Could a defective inverter also kill sound?

Comment

Not usually.
      However, how do you know if the right channel is selected, or if the TV is muted??
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I guess I cant know for sure w/o picture. I rescued the TV so I'm not certain but I did try volume and source selector. I have not tried to connect cable or any devices. Do you know if these auto mute if there is no source? Sounds like the master inverter is definitely bad though based on the fried spot on the IC so I'll start with that. Thanks for your help!

Comment

Yes, there will be no sound without a source.
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by chris30506 View Post
            Question: Could a defective inverter also kill sound?
            I have noticed that you could have it either way with these Tv models that have that have the master and slave inverter configuration.

When the Master dies - No sound, No picture.

When the Slave dies - Sound but no picture.

I have had this multiple times on multiple sets, from Philips to Vizio.
            The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

Thank you all so much for the great advice! I fixed the TV and learned a lot in the process! I ordered a Master inverter repair kit http://www.ebay.com/itm/110635396199...84.m1497.l2649
              and a chipquik kit http://www.ebay.com/itm/130883522497...84.m1497.l2649
              I had no trouble removing the old components and cleaning the board surface but was unable to add new solder to the new chip. I tried but created multiple bridges and almost ruined the new chip. Fortunately there was enough solder left on the pads that I was able to carefully solder the chip w/o new solder. Guess my solder technique needs some work. I also bought a watch repair magnifier loupe http://www.ebay.com/itm/261190033575...1497.l2649that helped me to check the solder connections. The TV works like new now and my total investment will be about $80.00 (I told the thrift store I would pay $50.00 if I was able to fix it). I could not have done this without the Chipquik because of it's low melting temp.

THANKS AGAIN!!! YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!!!!!

Comment

Wow, thats a lot of info, before I try to replace all the common stuff that goes wrong like U3, any of you had this problem, TV turns on, works great but I can't turn it off, its not a button/remote problem because all the other buttons work, I need to unplug the tv, and sometimes, the vizio logo turns white but no picture/sound, I need to pull the power cable and try again multiple times.
                Thanks!

Comment

Id try just the normal stuff first. It may fix all of your problems.
                  The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

I was working on a Vizio VW42L and all the regulators are good. The TV would turn on with no picture. So I replaced the capacitor CE27 but also CE18 & CE23. I also noticed CE21 & CE43 had bulging tops so I tested those and they were completely fried so I replaced them

I put the TV back together and it worked for 30 minutes and then the Vizio light was blinking rapidly and I could not power off the TV. I switch with another main board and same thing so I suspect it's the power supply.

No visual blown caps. Tested the main filter cap and it was 125uf instead of 150uf. I'm about to pull all the caps and test them.

Comment

I found Capacitor C242 bad on my power board. I'll have to change it out tomorrow and see if it makes a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane711 View Post
                        I found Capacitor C242 bad on my power board. I'll have to change it out tomorrow and see if it makes a difference.
                        Are the Caps on the master and slave boards on the inverter boards ok?

Comment

Yes, I repaired those a while back. Working on the TV today, still haven't figured it out. Going to try swapping boards to identify the problem board.

Comment

I suspect an IC chip part # DLA001D on the power board.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane711 View Post
                              I suspect an IC chip part # DLA001D on the power board.
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNFzBJELFoU

Comment

I seen that video before, all my regulators are fine. The TV plays for 20 to 30 minutes before it turns off.

So I swapped out the power board and the TV has been playing non stop 24 hours a day for 2 days now so that tells me most definitely the power board. I been waiting before posting an update because just seeing if the TV would cut off but after 2 days I guess that is conclusive.

So I order 10 pieces of the IC DLA001D from China. I also have 3 other power boards that are completely dead and they all have the same IC chip so I will replace the IC chip on those boards as well to see if it fixes them.
                                Last edited by Shane711; 10-25-2020, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X