• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
    sounds like it would be a good idea.
    done.

imho if it has a legit reason to be constantly dug back up, it needs sticked.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Edits to my post a more complete list:
      -2x power Mac g5. I combined 2into 1 so now 1 (gotta scrap it) has no ram, HDD, or graphics card, but the second one has 6.5gb ram, 500gb hdd, and dual 2ghz CPU.
      -apc ups... Seems to work nicely
      -elo all-in-one touchscreen thing, xp pro on a via CPU with 512mb ram. Cool but useless.
      -power conditioner, but it can only handle 0.625amps. Useless
      -3x LCD monitors, 2 17 and 1 19.
      -Dell windows xp pc
      -HP windows vista pc
      -keyboards, mouses, cables, etc.
      -rackmount server I think, didn't look much at it except it has 3x 360gb wd raptors in it!
      -pencil sharpener (lol?)
      -$100 and pizza for helping set up the new office.

Good day
      Attached Files
      Last edited by shovenose; 03-11-2012, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Put the 2nd Powermac on ebay or something. People are still nuts about those. I've seen totally bare bones Powermac G5's (no RAM, HDD, ODD, cards, ...) go for 100+ .. crazy..

On topic:
        Nesteq NA-5201 (520W "semi-fanless" ASM PSU)
        Bad caps. what else? lol

It's a Seventeam ST-520PAF/PAX (says both on the PCB, but none of the fields is ticked/marked)

Comment

I got a Canon Canonscan LIDE 30 for $5 today... it even included one of those gold series belkin cables. It works great and the only defect is a very tiny dent on the metal lid.

I also found a widescreen targus case that happened to fit the scanner for $3 as well; I plan to use it for travel since it is a bus-powered scanner, it has a durable metal lid (to protect the glass?),and it is very compact.

Good finds?
          sigpic

Comment

I have one of those LIDE scanners, they're pretty nice, especially being bus-powered.

Though what I'd love to get is one of those A3 scanners that does a whole page in 3 seconds
            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
            -David VanHorn

Comment

Around here, you can't even give scanners away, since they're included with printers for free.
              I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Well if you've got a fast A3 scanner you can't seem to get rid of, I'm all ears!
                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                -David VanHorn

Comment

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

not really in the dumpster, but when me and my dad were tilling the backyard, I found this deep inside the dirt

http://www.x86-guide.com/Photos/Gran...20-%20haut.jpg

We used to have a amd machine a long time ago. It was a 450MHZ athlon k7. Played doom back then. Man those wonderful times!
                  "There is no place like 127.0.0.1"

Comment

Originally posted by Gianni View Post
                    I found a naked Sharp LCD panel... the panel, PSU and the small PCB with buttons.

I thought it was dead but with surprise it was working... so why not to replace the old Philips 17" CRT? This one is 1280 X 1024 against 1024 x 768 and of course... it frees a lot of space on the desk for all my trash.

I bought some aluminium bars, aluminium plates, aluminium corners... the kind of material used to repair stairs/steps... and with a drill and some screws I built the panel chassis.

Ok it is not artistic... as you can see from pics... the corners are not perfect and the screws are visible... but it is working fine since end of 2004.
                    The worst part is the left side, I have never found a solution for the regulation buttons I glued only a small piece of rubber on the ON/OFF button.

The funny thing is when somebody sees it... at first they don't care but after few minutes they ask me where I bought it because they say it's quite original

Ciao
                    Gianni
                    Very cool and inspiring great find!

Comment

was on my way to a friends place yesterday.was almost to richmond in on us35 when i spotted a box with a bunch of tubing sticking out.i stopped quickly and got out of the truck.its some sort of antenna.well its 2 antennas!an m2 kt34 and a cushcraft 13b2!
                      i loaded up the truck and the folks who set them out came out.hollered you want some more scrap?
                      sure!.got 2 more antennas and a kenwood ts-430.their grandfather went sk years ago and this stuff was just gathering dust and getting in the way.
                      got 2 more boxes to get tomorrow when they get them out.they didnt think anyone would want this old junk.but they are happy to see it go to good use.
                      my friend gave an odd look as i unloaded the stuff into her barn.hey enough stuff to make your motorhome look like a porcupine too!

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                        was on my way to a friends place yesterday.was almost to richmond in on us35 when i spotted a box with a bunch of tubing sticking out.i stopped quickly and got out of the truck.its some sort of antenna.well its 2 antennas!an m2 kt34 and a cushcraft 13b2!
                        i loaded up the truck and the folks who set them out came out.hollered you want some more scrap?
                        sure!.got 2 more antennas and a kenwood ts-430.their grandfather went sk years ago and this stuff was just gathering dust and getting in the way.
                        got 2 more boxes to get tomorrow when they get them out.they didnt think anyone would want this old junk.but they are happy to see it go to good use.
                        my friend gave an odd look as i unloaded the stuff into her barn.hey enough stuff to make your motorhome look like a porcupine too!
                        Awesome!

-Ben
                        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Lets see:
                          Few good motherboards and Cases
                          Vinyl Plotter machine for 5 dollars
                          2x 42" flatscreen tv's not working, 1 has cracked screen other needs a recap. selling the board on the cracked screen one.
                          Free old crt monitor but I have gave that away to someone.

Comment

wierd metallic orange gateway quad core gamer pc $10.bad power supply.
                            $5 "japanese cb" kdk 6m fm mobile.has a note inside the mostly kanji manual from the japanese guy who bought it in 77.works fine after cleaning pots and switches.
                            i love it when folks at garage sales dont know what they have.

Comment

I bought a pair of Nvidia Quadro FX 1400 128mb PCI-E cards for $10 ($5 per crad)... the place had like 10 more of them... Now to eventually build an SLI system to use them in...
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                I bought a pair of Nvidia Quadro FX 1400 128mb PCI-E cards for $10 ($5 per crad)... the place had like 10 more of them... Now to eventually build an SLI system to use them in...
                                Nice score. Not sure how good they would be for gaming or SLI, but they are definitely nice cards. Watch out for the power consumption, though. At least according to Wikipedia, they are rated for 70W. That's HOT!
                                Okay, I just Googled it. Seems the card is on par with the GeForce 6600 series or thereabout.

As far as video cards go, last week I got a GeForce 7600 GS 512 MB AGP for free without the heat sink. I might use a NB chipset heat sink from a dead ECS motherboard, though. Judging by the die size of the GPU and some pictures on the internet, the stock heat sink isn't much bigger or much thicker. With a good fan, it should be okay. IIRC, it's 20 or 30W TDP, which should be manageable.
                                Hope it works. I haven't tested it. Would be the best card I have right now.
                                Last edited by momaka; 04-23-2012, 06:57 PM.

Comment

I typically throw out a lot of slot one and pentium pro setups. It's just so difficult to find good homes for these things. This and a lot of vintage computing stuff.
                                  On a clear disk you can seek forever.

Comment

Last May, I got a free Dell Dimension computer: 1.5GHz Pentium 4, 384MB PC133 RAM, Radeon X1050, Seagate HDD. I use it to play movies on my 24" tube TV and it does its simple job great! Really silent too. I cracked it open and the Mobo consists of only Rubycon, and nichicon. The PSU has Rubycon's (Delta unit), and the GPU has purely Sanyo caps. This thing should keep chugging along for a long time!

Comment

Found a steal at Fry's today

They had a 100 pack of CD-Rs (Kodak 52x) marked 50% off... it was missing 4 discs. 50% off, but only 4% loss...

It came out to $10 when all was said and done... and I was out of CD-Rs (I have an OLD laptop that is CD-Only, plus I don't like killing DVDs over small files.)
                                      sigpic

Comment

Found a steal at Fry's today

They had a 100 pack of CD-Rs (Kodak 52x) marked 50% off... it was missing 4 discs. 50% off, but only 4% loss...

It came out to $10 when all was said and done... and I was out of CD-Rs (I have an OLD laptop that is CD-Only, plus I don't like killing DVDs over small files.)
                                        sigpic

Comment

Kodak used to actually make their own CDR's rather than the rebranded stuff you got (Probably CMC Magnetics - get an ATIP reader to check).
                                          "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Working...
                                          X