Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Latitude E7270 shut down issue

Hi Guys and Gals,
    I have a really strange issue with the above titled Ultrabook.
    Quick spec's, i7-6600 with intel HD520 graphics, 8GB DDR-4 RAM, 256GB M.2 SSD, 12" screen, Wifi, Finger print, NFC.
    Use of the laptop is out on sites, remoted into a NAS just for files, software installed Win10, Office 2019, Teams, Printer software. Thats it, sledge hammer to crack a walnut.

OK, the issue. 4 days prior to me getting it, just after login, approx 15 secs the laptop will shutdown. Not as in power off/cut, no restart, it goes through the shut down procedure. This is without entering any software, it could just be sitting there.

Initial thoughts were issues with the O/S or software installed. Unable to run any sort of internet security, as is shuts down to quick. Booted to safe mode, same issue arrises. So I though, reinstall Windows. Made a backup of the SSD with Acronis to a normal HDD, cleaned the SSD and did a reinstall with an universal image I have made of a Windows 10 install. Everything went through with no issue, and stayed alive once completed. Cool, or so I thought. I installed all the drivers that were missing, all the way up to the last driver, Dell Radio, it goes into a shutdown procedure. Unable to get back into the install, so I re-did the installation again, installed all the drivers with exception of the Dell Radio. Again, goes into shutdown after 15 or so seconds. Again another clean install from the image, this time, I did a restart after every driver install, problem arose after installination of the Graphics driver. Another instalation of the image, shutdowns after the NFC driver... total random point of the problem arising. This time I do a clean install from a USB with Windows 10 v20H2, same thing at random points of driver installs, the shuts downs will start. Unable to get into safe mode as the shut downs occur there. Went back to Windows 10 v2004/ 1909 same problem arises. Changed the SSD for a 128Gb, same issue, swapped the RAM out, again same issue, did notice the CPU was getting a little hot (50c at idle), so re thermal pasted the CPU, cleaned the radiator/fan, no improvement. The laptop will sit in BIOS without having a hissy for as long as I care to leave it, overnight at one point. Same goes for getting to the login screen, leave it on that, it will sit happy. Disconnected all pluged on components, so just left with the mainboard and power supply, plugged in a USB mouse/ keyboard, connected a monitor via HDMI, boot into BIOS, sitting there no issue. Reconnected the 128GB SSD, get to desktop, 15 or so seconds, Windows is shutting down.

I have noticed on Dells support page for this model ultrabook there is an urgent BIOS update, issued on 2nd DEC 2020, so I have managed to flash this, remember I can get into a stable place without any drivers being loaded. Alas, again still no improvment. Mainboard has been removed, looked at under a scope, no liguid or visually damaged/ corroded or anything looking like it wants to give up on life is evident.

So what seems to be a software issue, clearly isnt, especially after various installs, clean installs, lots of banging head on the wall, I am convinced it is a hardware issue. I have eliminated all plug in components. My inclination is a CPU issue, mainly because it reaches 50c on idle, not in itself unusual, not managed to get a temp reading as it is not alive long enough to test when its running any type of program.

Customer has informed me that no new programs had been installed, no new equipment connected.

Short of a new/ replacement mainboard, would any of you guru's have any other pointers where I should be looking????

Many humbled thanks in advance...

Meant to add, just to eliviate my thoghts of the CPU getting to hot, I placed the laptop on its side and had a desk fan blowing onto the base with the cover removed, no improvement
    Last edited by pc1staid; 12-19-2020, 01:30 AM. Reason: more info

Re: Dell Latitude E7270 shut down issue

Boot from a rescue system or in a mode that doesnt load the drivers and examine Windows event log. Windows has several features that will cause this and are unrelated to drivers and hardware, such as the emergency shutdown if auditing fails.

Comment

I have tried booting in via MS DART but it fails to show me the event log. Only other mode I can think of getting into apart from safe mode will be safe with command prompt, run explorer then try to access the event log from there. I will give that a go Monday morning.

Comment

Originally posted by emestee View Post
        Boot from a rescue system or in a mode that doesnt load the drivers and examine Windows event log. Windows has several features that will cause this and are unrelated to drivers and hardware, such as the emergency shutdown if auditing fails.
        Malware (including a virus) or battery-related issue.
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

check also in all usb are really ok....

could be a bad resistor on 19volt rail not opening mosfet properly...

Comment

Working...
          X