Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to De-solder an Xbox Elite series 2 gaming controller.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to De-solder an Xbox Elite series 2 gaming controller.

Hello my name is Tj and I'm very new to electronics and honestly forums in general. I just recently finished my first project which was an alarm clock soldering kit from Amazon. My friends Xbox controller is broken and me just finishing this clock figured I could help him out. I think I found the component that is the cause but I can't get the solder to melt and stick to my solder wick. I can't even get it to melt when I stick the iron straight on it. I'm using a X-tronic model #3020 soldering iron controller at 450°C. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Trying to De-solder an Xbox Elite series 2 gaming controller.

You are going to have issues with multi-layer boards are sometimes hard to work with
    I have had to use a Desoldering Gun and a temperature controlled hot air gun

You do have to practice using this setup on boards that you do not give a shit about
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 08-14-2020, 05:14 PM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

try adding new solder first .

Comment

try not burning the flux, you dont solder at 450' - you need 350'

Comment

Like SAM noted, try practicing on some scrap boards first to get a feel for SMD work. Also, forget about using wick with that soldering iron - it's not going to work well at all. You need good flux instead, as that is key to SMD soldering. Would also probably be useful to have some 60-40 leaded solder around (if not straight low-temp melt solder) to soften some of the lead-free solder on the board.

Originally posted by stj View Post
          try not burning the flux, you dont solder at 450' - you need 350'
          350C won't be any good though, as his station uses 900M series tips. Those are just not good enough for soldering on tougher Pb-free ML PCBs (which the Xbox is.)

T12 is where the money's at. With a powerful-enough station, those can transfer a lot more heat. I regularly use my 75-Watt T12 station to directly desolder TO-252 MOSFETs from Xbox 360 motherboard with the help of a 30-Watt iron. No hot air or pre-heating needed at all.
          Last edited by momaka; 08-23-2020, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X