P6t deluxe v2 dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P6t deluxe v2 dead

I'm new into repairing hardware. I was trying to repair a GPU and after replacing a few components I tought it was ready to test it.
    When I inserted it in the PCI-E slot of my motherboard (P6T DELUXE V2) I saw a spark on left side of PCI-E slot. After that, the motherboard restarted and, when I tested it with another GPU (Working) in any PCI-E slot, it doesn't show video signal.

I have a motherboard tester I bought from China that uses a PCI slot. It shows the following sequence:
    1. It stops for a while at B8 B7
    2. 02
    3. E8
    4. Return to B8 B7 and the secuence start again

I have checked the voltages of the PCI-E (12V and 3.3V). They are all correct.
    The motherboard has worked before with the same hardware and in the same configuration:

Motherboard: Asus P6T DELUXE V2
    CPU: Xeon x5670
    PSU: Urano TX 1050W
    RAM: 4 GB RAM HyperX (1 stick)
    GPU: MSI GTX 970

All those components (Except the motherboard) are proved to be working after the incident.

Tools I have:
    - Multimeter
    - Soldering station (Hot air gun and soldering iron)
    - Small oscilloscope 50Mhz

I have the Boardview (.FZ) file in case someone need it.

I have no idea which part of the motherboard could have been damaged. I would be grateful if someone helps. Anyway I will post any progress I do.

Re: P6t deluxe v2 dead

Can you post some good clear pictures of the area where you saw the spark
    All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

I didn't expect the spark so I'm not sure where exactly happened. I believe it was in the higlighted area depicted on the photo. I'm not sure if it was on the graphic card or on the PCI-E slot.

PS: The picture was edited. It's not a real spark
      Attached Files

Comment

After some research, I suspect the problem could be caused by one of the three IC rounded on the photo (posiblefault.jpeg).

Also, I have checked the voltages on the caps located over the north bridge, and one of them indicates 0 Volts, I don't know if this is normal. The voltages read on the north bridge are depicted on the attached photo "NorthBridge.jpeg".

That's what I learned from some indian videos that I don't undersand .

I added a photo of the Motherboard and the Boardviewer file.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by crazynoob View Post
          When I inserted it in the PCI-E slot of my motherboard (P6T DELUXE V2) I saw a spark on left side of PCI-E slot. After that, the motherboard restarted
          errr... it sounds like u inserted the video card while the power was still on! why would u do that? u're supposed power down the whole system and remove the ac plug from the power socket to prevent esd while inserting and removing expansion cards from the system. the spark looks like esd precautions were not followed!

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
            errr... it sounds like u inserted the video card while the power was still on! why would u do that? u're supposed power down the whole system
            Yep!
            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I'm sorry I think I explained it incorrectly. Probably I didn't spend enough time explaining the causes of the problem. Those are the steps I followed:

1. The power supply cable was conected but the PSU switch was OFF. This mean all the PCB was grounded to avoid ESD.
              2. I inserted the graphics card
              3. Turned on the PSU switch
              4. Turned on the system.

After a while being on (3-4 seconds) i saw the spark. I don't know if it was because of a light movement of the graphics card, which was fully inserted but not locked to avoid movement (I don't have a PC test bench) or it was random.

I'm 100% sure it was not ESD. As far as my knowledge extends, to avoid ESD killing electronic components, all of them must be grounded in order the electricity to have a lower resistance path to earth in comparison with an input or output of an IC. Thats why I always insert components on the motherboard with the AC plug but with the switch OFF.

Anyway I understand what you said and I appreciate your response.

Comment

Working...
              X