• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG18650MH1 18650 Cells on EBay listed as New but remove from equipment

Here is the link if anyone is interested in them

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-x50-...53.m2749.l2649

I have bought a set of them I will let you know what I think about them
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 03-08-2020, 09:54 AM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Re: LG18650MH1 18650 Cells on EBay listed as New but remove from equipment

Here is the results of the first battery that I tested

First of all the battery came fully charged
    The battery voltage is about 4.something
    According to the IMAX charger 0 amp in the charging mode

So I ran the discharge cycle and the results are as follows (3200 milliamperes hour batteries )

02874 milliamperes hours 3 hours elapsed time at 1 amp setting

This is about 10.9 % from what a new one should test at this was done on the IMAX charger

( I ran this test today on the IMAX charger because I want to make sure that I did not have to get in touch with the seller because of false claims about these batteries )

Not what is claimed 5% loss but I am not going to split hairs about this only because this is only the first battery

I have to run these test on my other battery tester machine and will post the results later on this week when I have time to run it

I want to see what the charge and discharge cycle curves look like and see if it is like the other LG batteries that I have tested before
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 03-11-2020, 08:08 PM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

cleaning the remaining bits of nickel off with be a bitch!

Comment

Dermal tool with a grinding stone makes it fairly easy to do as long as you do just the surface and take your time doing it
        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 03-12-2020, 02:37 AM.
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

i know how,
          but it's simpler to remove the spikes after ripping the strips off - cutting them flush causes more work

Comment

Sam can you rip those spot weld strips off of a 18650 with out causing damage?

Comment

yes,
              the nickel is very thin compared to the battery casing, so the strip leaves little spikes of nickel behind and you rub them down.

i do it all the time with salvaged laptop cells
              but dont rip them, lift the edge and flex it from side to side - it will break off clean.

Comment

Thanks Stj I have no experience with 18650 batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by ron350 View Post
                  Thanks Stj I have no experience with 18650 batteries.

Are you thinking about using this type of battery in a project of some kind

If so yes you can do a good job of removing the tabs from cells but you have to take your time and remove the metal until the surface is flat

But unless you have a battery tester something like the IMAX charger to log battery performance you will shooting in the dark

You need some type battery spot welder

Soldering to the cells can be done but I DO NOT Recommend this unless you have a lot of experience doing this I have only done this a couple of times because I was using very narrow tabbing and my battery spot welder was not doing the welding very strong when I use wider tabbing I do not have this problem

Then you have to use some type battery protection board to keep the batteries from being over charged and or over discharged

You will probably run across people who say you use this type of battery with out using a battery protection device but what some of them are not telling you is that you have to have a battery monitoring device which nothing more than a 6 or 8 channel meter with some type of alarm when either one or more cells get below a certain voltage or if the pack voltage is to low or to high which is better than nothing at all but the user has to keep track of the results and take the right measure to use this type of setup

BMS balancing protection board are one type of protection board but not all BMS protection boards are the same and you have to do your home work and research and testing of the boards themselves to know if you have picked the right type or not

The most important thing to keep in mind that miss use or being sloppy using this type of batteries can be dangerous either you can have the battery burst into flames and or have thermo run away

I have had some mishaps a couple of times using this type of battery before so I recommend being careful and take your time

The correct voltage range for the most common type of 18650 batteries is discharge value is not less 3.00
                  unless you have a battery tester machine that you can chart where the drop off voltage curve is ( this is where you set the cutoff voltage at 2.5 volts and chart it I have seen the cutoff voltage any where from 3.00 volts and as high as 3.50 volts this information is needed when you use certain types of BMS balancing protection boards I personally do not recommend running this type of test more than a few times )

The MAXIMUM charging voltage should never exceed 4.20 or you are going to have serious problems with the battery over heating

In the chart below you can see where the voltage in blue and the current is in red where you see the voltage and the current take a nose dive this is the voltage drop off curve I was talking about earlier
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 03-12-2020, 07:21 PM.
                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                  1 Dell Mother Board
                  15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

be carefull, not all 18650's are equal.
                    some can deliver 35A or more for tools or vaping, but the ones in laptops can only deliver 2.5-6A before they overheat!

Comment

I don't have a use for any batteries yet.

I was reading about a guy who wanted to replace the 18650's in his drill battery packs and was wondering how much was factual.
                      Lots of talk about how you can't solder straps on lithium ion batteries.
                      http://budgetlightforum.com/node/71659
                      Last edited by ron350; 03-12-2020, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                        be carefull, not all 18650's are equal.
                        some can deliver 35A or more for tools or vaping, but the ones in laptops can only deliver 2.5-6A before they overheat!
                        Yes and the high current output batteries you need to be even more careful using them
                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                        1 Dell Mother Board
                        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

I don’t have a use for any batteries yet.

I was reading about a guy who wanted to replace the 18650’s in his drill battery packs and was wondering how much was factual.
                          Lots of talk about how you can’t solder straps on lithium ion batteries.
                          http://budgetlightforum.com/node/71659
                          For the most part most of what is in this form page is correct but some of the type of method talk about I have a problem with and that when they were talking about BMS balancing protection boards while it true that some of them when you remove the cells from them they might not work correctly again this is mostly true computer battery packs ( which I personally do not have any use for)

Tool battery packs I personally have put new cells in have not had this problem except with the 12 volt Milwaukee battery packs do not work correctly because you have to have the battery charge and discharge curves need to be the same or needs to be very close to each battery in that battery pack

Milwaukee brand 20 volt version battery packs can not really be re-cell-ed because they use plastic circuit board tabbing which nothing can be done with

I have had very good results with Ryobi 20 volt version tool battery pack and Kobolt 24 volt version tool battery pack from Lowe’s protection board is very easy to work with LG brand batteries in them the Kobolt protection board is the easiest one to use

Harbor Freight has one of there brands the battery protection board is very easy to work with and they use LG brand batteries in them there is a 12 volt and 20 volt version I have only used the 12 volt version so far the battery packs look very much alike

Other brands of battery power tool pack I have not worked with so I do not know how they are set up

Now there is a new generation of BMS balancing protection board that has a wrinkle in them and it this they have a micro computer controller type of chip in them that track the battery charge and discharge cycles how many times the battery has been locked out because of being totally discharged at what the highest and the lowest temperatures the batteries have seen / find your battery if has been misplaced if your battery needs charging and so on

I sure you can not replace the batteries in type of battery pack
                          Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 03-12-2020, 08:32 PM.
                          9 PC LCD Monitor
                          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                          1 Dell Mother Board
                          15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Sam hanks for all the good information.
                            It sounds like you have rebuilt a few battery packs to have your own spot welder.

Comment

i just use the cells in holders for low current work like test gear and i put them in *reasonable* flashlights.
                              and a few powerbanks - BUT YOU MUST USE MATCHING CELLS!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                i just use the cells in holders for low current work like test gear and i put them in *reasonable* flashlights.
                                and a few powerbanks - BUT YOU MUST USE MATCHING CELLS!
                                Where do you find decent battery holder at please post website link
                                9 PC LCD Monitor
                                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                1 Dell Mother Board
                                15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

aliexpress or ebay
                                  2 types, one has pins - the best.
                                  the other has crimped wires

like these:
                                  https://www.ebay.com/itm/312401009401

Comment

I bought this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-Black-.../122118364697?
                                    Never stop learning
                                    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Sam hanks for all the good information.
                                      It sounds like you have rebuilt a few battery packs to have your own spot welder.

Yes I have a few of them I going to be building some battery pack very soon again
                                      9 PC LCD Monitor
                                      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                      1 Dell Mother Board
                                      15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Here is some testing results for these batteries

The setup Pram are

0.500 milliamps
                                        2.50 cut off voltage
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 03-22-2020, 07:03 AM.
                                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                        1 Dell Mother Board
                                        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Working...
                                        X