X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

Integrated Power Designs SWR-45-3001-6

330uF 35V Nichicon PJ before output inductor with 47uF 50V Chemi-Con KME after it on +6V 2A and -6V 1A rails.
    680uF 35V Nichicon PJ x5 before output inductor with 330uF 35V Nichicon PJ x2 on -2V 10A rail.
    180uF 400V Nichicon LQ primary unit.
    FES8BT rectifier for +6V rail; MBR1045 x2 (parallel pair) rectifiers for -2V rail.
    IRF830 primary switcher.

Power Systems PSI-1724

Note that the defective surge protection MOV-diode assembly and mains fuse was removed for replacement when I took the photo.

3300uF 25V Nichicon PL x2 on -5.2V output; 3300uF 25V Nichicon PL on +5V, +15V and -15V outputs.
    820uF 6.3V Nichicon PF for primary side rise time control.
    1200uF 200V Nichicon GQ x2 primary units.

SB540 x4 (parallel) rectifiers for +5V 14A rail.
    UF5402 x2 (parallel) rectifiers each for +15V 4A and -15V 4.5A rails.
    80SQ035 x2 (parallel) rectifiers for -5.2V 13A rail.
    KBU6J bridge rectifier.
    MJW16010A primary switcher with BUK454-800B synchronous clamper.
    Attached Files
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

SFE-9FD

It's surprisingly good for $6. The input wires, transformer, and soldering quality look horrible, but I wasn't expecting it to have so much input and output filtering and a switching IC. It even has real X and Y class caps.

Input: inductor, X cap, 4 1N4007 diodes, and a 6.8uF 400V "RC" brand cap
      Output: SR260 rectifier diode, 470uF 16V cap on pi filter input, 220uF 16V cap on pi filter output

All caps except the big 400V one are LSHC brand CL series.

I'd say that it could be improved, but it isn't as bad as some of the cheap power supplies I've seen. It isn't very well regulated, but it's probably good enough for most things that need 9V input.
      Attached Files

Comment

Yeah it looks pretty good. For a 6W adapter, I'm also surprised to see a switching IC. Nice! I'd just redo some of those solder joints and call it a day. What's the fuse rating?

Comment

I didn't look at the fuse rating, and I didn't see how bad the soldering was until I had already put it back together and looked at the pictures again.

This is a new power supply, but the TOP222 has been discontinued. I wonder how old it really is. At least the IC is old stock (or fake, but it works well enough that I think it is a real Power Integrations chip).

Comment

Well for 6 watts at high voltage, do you think a fake would do worse? ;-)
            Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
            Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Well this is my first post in this awesome thread, I have many atx power supply's that I will take pictures of and share them to see what you guys think.

Here is the first psu that I have recently recapped as it was full of fuhjyyus, its a hiper hpu 4s525 rated to output 525w max its manufactured by andyson and seems good enough for 450w. It has 3 powerlogic sleeve bearing fans that are controlled by a fan controller on the back where the ICE connector is.
              Specifications listed:
              Active pfc forward design with a pfc booster that takes the rectified dc and boosts to 385-395 vdc then its divided and forwarded.
              I couldn't see what the primary transistors are.
              5vsb is controlled by an Ic.
              Transformers are decently sized (height and width)
              Output capacitors were all replaced from fuhjyyus to jamicon for the smaller caps and for the larger samxon, ucc and Panasonic.
              5v 1* 4700uf 10v ucc ky 1* 3300uf 10v samxon rs
              3.3v 1* 4700uf 10v ucc ky 1* 3300uf 10v samxon rs
              12v 2* 3300uf 16v samxon rs
              -12v 1* 1000uf 16v Panasonic Fr
              -5v 1* 1000uf 16v Panasonic Fr
              5vstb 1* 1000uf 16v Panasonic Fr
              Fan controller 1* 2200uf 16v ucc kze
              Primary capacitors 2* 820uf 200v
              Output rectifiers are all double banks of sbl3040pt on all rails.
              Please could you let me know what you think about this psu is it decent it hasn't ever been used so its all brand new?
              I replace fuhjyyus on site.
              Attached Files
              Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Here is a zalman 460aps psu that is rated for 460w its manufactured by spi seems good but came full of blown capxon capacitors that caused a massive amount of voltage ripple, they were all replaced with good brands and the voltages returned to normal.
                Specifications listed:
                Double ball bearing nmb fan controlled by thermistor mounted on the underside of the secondary heatsink.
                Gbu805 bridge rectifier.
                Active pfc.
                Pair of 10n50 transistors.
                Transformers aren't that big but ok.
                Output rectifiers are all double banks I could read there ratings as its so densely packed.
                This psu has low uf output capacitors but ripple is ok:
                12v 2*1000uf 16v Panasonic Fr
                3.3v 2*1000uf 16v Panasonic Fr
                5v 1*1000uf 16v Panasonic Fr 1* 2200uf ucc kze
                Primary 330uf 450v Panasonic
                Smaller capacitors Jamicon
                Let me know what you think about this psu.
                Attached Files
                Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

Comment

It's an FSP! Not bad!

Comment

Nice job recapping those units, they both look good Love the Power Logic fans in the Andyson unit. Main transformer on that FSP is plenty big. Should be insanely reliable now, especially with that fan!

Comment

Yah. With a decent 2BB fan like an NMB and entirely Jap Caps, the PSU should never fail
                      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

A buddy of mine said this Delta was going to be taken to the dump, and he snagged it saying "I know a guy who would love this thing!" So I decided to recap it, and believe it or not, remove most of the glue.

Never seen this model before from Delta. It got about 5 years of use. All the caps were in the spec, however the Taicon after the coil on the 5VSB was barely in spec, and so were the Ltec LTG on the 12V rails. Each 12V rail uses a 20A schottky.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                          [snip]this Delta was going to be taken to the dump[/snip]
                          I hope your friend told the guy in no uncertain terms that Deltas must never be tossed out, especially if they are still working!

That looks like a really nice PSU, though. Definitely worth saving.
                          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Awesome thank you for your replies, I will post more pictures some time today

Comment

A buddy of mine said this Delta was going to be taken to the dump, and he snagged it saying "I know a guy who would love this thing!" So I decided to recap it, and believe it or not, remove most of the glue.

Never seen this model before from Delta. It got about 5 years of use. All the caps were in the spec, however the Taicon after the coil on the 5VSB was barely in spec, and so were the Ltec LTG on the 12V rails. Each 12V rail uses a 20A schottky.
                              Awesome psu why was he going to throw it out, massive components, rubycon primary and ultra precise output ratings 390w exactly great grab

Comment

Never seen this model before from Delta.
                                Well it's Delta, they probably have a ton of designs...

Anyway:
                                The design reminds me kinda of the GPS-400AA series I once had...

Comment

Yeah it is similar to GPS-x00AA/AB, main differece is this one is upgraded to active PFC and has two driving/protection ICs
                                  Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Hey, that looks like an NP160(?) I recapped a few years ago. That one didn't have APFC, but was similar. The heavy, staked secondary heatsink gave it away!

I do remember the glue being easier to remove than in the Bestecs.
                                    "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                                    Originally posted by shango066
                                    All style and no substance.
                                    Originally posted by smashstuff30
                                    guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                                    guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                                      Yeah it is similar to GPS-x00AA/AB, main differece is this one is upgraded to active PFC and has two driving/protection ICs
                                      my GPS-400AA also had aPFC...

Comment

The AB I got is passive with voltage doubler and switch selector.

Comment

This psu I brought off a boot sale for 99p, its a fsp250 60hen oem is spi this psu wouldn't power on when I first tried it this was due to two bloated capxon capacitors replaced with samxon Gf just to test the psu and make sure that it works before I install good caps, I replaced the main iec connector as the original had rusted and corroded, seems good for 250w maybe more ?
                                          Specifications listed:
                                          Yate loon sleeve bearing fan thermally controlled by thermistor mounted under secondary heatsink.
                                          Pair of 5n50c transistors
                                          Active pfc
                                          Br Gbu 406 bridge rectifier
                                          Out put rectifiers:
                                          3.3v Yn3045n
                                          5v Yn3045n
                                          12v mbr256cf
                                          Output capacitors:
                                          3.3v 2* 1000uf 16v ost rlp
                                          5v 1* 2200uf 10v samxon Gf 1* 1000uf 16v ost rlp
                                          12v 2* 1000uf 16v ost rlp
                                          5vsb 1 * 2200uf 10v samxon Gf
                                          Primary unit 150uf 400v ost
                                          Smaller capacitors are all teapot
                                          All capacitors will be replaced with Panasonic and ucc for out put and primary.
                                          Smaller capacitors will be replaced with jamicon.
                                          Let me know what you think.
                                          Attached Files
                                          Last edited by ReeceyBurger123; 10-12-2014, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X