Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Macbook Air A1466 2013 reboot and kernel panic

Hello,

I currently have a Macbook Air A1466 which has constant reboots or kernel panics without ever wanting to start.
    If I boot from a USB installation drive, everything is fine but when I run a new system installation on a new drive or external drive, it freezes after a while. I was able to detect a small artifact on the screen during the freeze but I'm not sure if it's specific.
    I measured some voltages on the motherboard and I could see that the 1.8V fell to 0V during the reboot but maybe this is normal? The other voltages (5V, 3V, 16V if I'm not mistaken) are ok and do not vary on reboot.

I changed the battery to test although I don't see the point...

It's a bit vague I imagine but have you ever experienced this kind of case and do you have a lead to start the investigation please?

Thank you very much
    Last edited by kurtspirit; 06-30-2022, 02:32 AM.

Re: Macbook Air A1466 2013 reboot and kernel panic

I did repair same model last week. Not related to your problem but have that board in my head. From what you describe if this was regular PC or latop i would test RAM and CPU.

Its not an easy FIX. I dunno about bootable usb with such testing soft for macs.

Comment

Originally posted by reassor View Post
      I did repair same model last week. Not related to your problem but have that board in my head. From what you describe if this was regular PC or latop i would test RAM and CPU.

Its not an easy FIX. I dunno about bootable usb with such testing soft for macs.
      Indeed, it makes you think of a RAM or GPU problem, but on these models, everything is welded.
      On the other hand, I had a big surprise at the back of the card, a lot of resistors had burned, so I changed everything but that didn't correct the fault...
      Attached Files

Comment

That's corrosion. Check all pads/via's in that area for continuity to other nets using the boardview.

Comment

Originally posted by reformatt View Post
          That's corrosion. Check all pads/via's in that area for continuity to other nets using the boardview.
          For sure It's done with bordview and schematic.
          A pad disappeared with the corrosion, so I made a bridge with a resistance wire to another one following the diagram. I don't know if it's good to do that but anyway, the problem doesn't seem to come from there in the end...
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X