This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hello, Greg Miller from Eugene, Oregon. Started looking here when trying to repair a Hanns-G 28" monitor. Power supply issues, lifted traces, bad caps, now looking to simply replace the power supply, but they are almost as scarce as hen's teeth. Will keep searching here as I try to repair other's flat panels.

Comment

Hello.

My name is Greg Norrie, and I have been thrust into the world of Monitor Repair both kicking and screaming.

I have been in electronics and micro-computers since the late '70s (think RCA 1402, into the KIM 6502 and 8080), went to college for BSEET in 'computer interfacing and communication' LOL, our most advanced machine was a shiny new TRS80! woohoo. I have worked at an Aerospace Company testing components for electronic scales that weighed everything from fractional grams, to the space shuttle center fuel tank. Then worked in Medical Electronics for a few years. I found a company that did exactly what I liked and worked there from 1988 to 2010. Then I got let go. Then some other people left, then I got hired back to work in their CUSTOM MONITOR DEPARTMENT. And here I be.

This looks to be a fun forum, and I hope I can learn and share alot. I am not as component oriented as many of the folks here are, but I am getting experience thrown at me in large quantities every day and I am not good at ducking. Thanks amd Cheers All! - gNorrie
      Never take s**t from any silicon life-form!

Comment

Hello... I thought I'd registered here years ago, but apparently not (or maybe my account got pruned for inactivity). I've learned quite a bit from reading threads here, and I've already fixed some stuff (monitor, graphics card, motherboard... :P). Thanks!

Comment

Hi,
          I have experience fixing game consoles and working with BGA machines.

I hope that I will learn something new here, and help others in fields that I know

Comment

Hello

Comment

Hi, my name is Tomas and I am 33 years old computer geek from Czech Republic. Besides my family I love to (mostly try to fix any piece of broken hardware which comes under my hands, from cellphone through TV to hair dryer. And, as You can see, apologizing for my bad english all the time

Comment

You are from the Czech, we can't expect you to speak good english. Welcome aboard.

Comment

Hello all, Ryan in Wisconsin. I've been using the repair forums for about three years and was always able to find a fix that another had sucess with. I have absolutely zero formal education or training to repair anything. Completely self taught. Like many here electronics are not my only hobby/interest. I been learning what make things tick (and how to get rid of the tick if needed) since I was about 7. Small engines, cycles, cars, snowmobiles(owned thirty-two vintage sleds in 1986) Current non electronic projects are a 1970's John Deere electric riding lawnmower a 40 to 50 year old Westinghouse air compressor and my birthday present was a 1920's Delco light plant.
                  I have been repairing panel tv's and monitors for about three years, I'm watching the debate on a 60" LG that I only have about $225 into. right now I have about 20 flat panels waiting for me, need a break from part time college and full time work otherwise I get an hour or two a week to work on them.
                  I want to thank everyone that posts a problem and all the good people that offer solutions.
                  Have a great day, Don't forget to Vote. It's really going to suck if the Mayans were right.

Comment

hi, already found great info here enabling me to fix a dodgy monitor... great site!

Comment

Hi all, my name is Edwin and I am from The Netherlands. I registered with this forum so I would be able to see the pictures in order to understand more.

You see, I fiddled around with some electronics starter kits for 8 year olds when I was ... 15, and I always sucked at physics in school. Severly. However, that never stopped me from becoming a hardware enthusiast and computer fanatic. I am quite familiar with the basics of computer hardware, but let's just say it; when it comes to the more advanced level (you know like stuff with caps) I am a total noob. Also when it comes to soldering... I also confess that I am a lurker on almost every forum I register, because I want to read and learn, rather than pollute a forum with meaningless posts. Apart from this introduction, contributions on my part might be quite rare.

Nevertheless, I am quite anxious to read up on almost any subject, and because I am now looking at two supposedly "dead" Benq FP937s+ displays I stumbled across this topic, and as said earlier decided to register in order to see the attachments.

Btw, "prutser" in Dutch roughly translates to "tinkerer", "bungler", "idiot" or "potterer". Perhaps you know a few more nice ones?

Seriously, this forum is a great and impressive place to learn, thanks so far!
                      Last edited by pruts0r; 10-17-2012, 02:33 PM. Reason: typo's

Comment

Old dog here trying to learn new tricks. Spent most of adult life in TV service. Worked for two manufacturers as field engineer. Retired, but still moving and learning. I live in Central Florida and love to fish. dan

Comment

thank you topcat for the welcome .
                          I have some education and experiece in the elctronics indusry. Not real happy with
                          software. Just trying to keep up with the industry as people are always brining me their
                          broke stuff.
                          thanks again bj

Comment

Peter from Melbourne Australia here. Just bought a dell optiplex at a junk sale and with the help of your site I hope to get it up and running. Excellent information, keep up the good work.

Comment

Hello

Comment

Welcome!

Comment

Hi, I'm an electrical engineer from Virginia, and my TV is broken: I'd much rather replace a couple $1 components than buy a new $500 TV. I don't normally get into component level repair, and suck at soldering, but I do enjoy a good challenge. Unfortunately, I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out just exactly which components failed. Not quite as straightforward when I lost 3 motherboards at work about 10 years ago to counterfeit capacitors, mobos which the idiot contractors kept replacing with boards well known to have bad caps, and which I could look in every day and watch them venting worse and worse... ah, memories.

Don't normally post "hi!" messages but I do understand why you've got a spam filter.

Comment

My name is Bill and I am an amateur electronic repair person. I am not much of a forum person but I learn quickly. Since I am beginning I thought it would be good if I joined a electronics related forum, for when I get stuck.

Comment

Hello, my name is Joe. Although I was taping batteries and light bulbs together by age three, and tinkering with discrete components all through my teens, electronics was never more than a hobby. My degree is Industrial Management from Georgia Tech, but my career has always focused on computer user support; whether doing programming, LAN Administration (I'm a [lapsed] CNE, which I learned by doing, not classes), or hardware builds and break/fix, I've always kept in mind that it's not about playing with toys (no matter how fun it is!) but about helping someone get something done.
                                      I'm a some-time gamer, mostly RPG/Adventure like Elder Scrolls, Guild Wars [2], etc. I play some casual stuff too, but don't worry, no Zynga schlock. I'm no good at FPS due to having an uncoordinated L-hand and being deaf in one ear.
                                      My signature song is Boston's Don't Look Back, as it pretty much describes my gung-ho attitude after getting a load off my mind in 1980.
                                      I've encountered the bad capacitor problem a few times, but the only re-cap I've ever done was a single 100uf cap I knocked off an ASRock board while getting too energetic with some cable management.
                                      I am here based on a reference to the site at HardwareSecrets. I still retain some interest in electronics, and fixing things, so I'll probably mostly lurk, although if I can contribute I will.

Comment

First of thanks badcaps owner to make nice forum. I join today and after reading some old thread I am able to fix my LN55C610 Samsung which has vertical lines all over screen.

Thanks again

Comment

Hi all,
                                          just found this forum seeking for information on the power supply of a LCD monitor (Medion 19inch, discount brand in Germany) with a Mirage electrocincs AD-1700 Ref F board.

PWM IC and current measurement R of FET burned.
                                          With some hints in this forum I found that they used NCP1203D6 as PWM regulator. Will try now to find a local source for that in Germany.

HoRa0815

Comment

Working...
                                          X