Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PN50B400P3D 50" Samsung Plasma Won't Turn On.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PN50B400P3D 50" Samsung Plasma Won't Turn On.

Hello, This is my first tv repair project. I've done some research but nothing seems to match up with this issue. I bought this TV with the information that "It was working fine and then the picture went black but it has great sound". It came with no remote. I plugged it in, it goes "click click....*3secondpause* click click" with a constant red power light. I've tried tapping, "pushing", & "pushing" and holding the power button, no change. I've disconnected the power supply from the X main, Y Main, & both and and tried to turn it on & no change. I had a live RCA video and audio input while testing. No sound or video, just a solid red light. There looks to be no obvious bad, bulged capacitors. Here are pictures of the back of the tv, X, Y, power boards & my voltmeter. Whats the next step? If I need to get a reading, please tell me where to put the leads & what setting my meter should be on. Thanks.

MODEL NO:PN50B400P3D
    Model Code: PN50B400P3DXZA
    MFD: Nov 2009
    Version: LU04

Re: PN50B400P3D 50" Samsung Plasma Won't Turn On.

You might want to try this: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...61&postcount=2
    LG Plasma Mal-Discharge Correction Service

Comment

Thanks capkid, I believe this is my control board (see below) I've identified the 4 pin connector & the pin's are labeled, I however do not know which cable is the LVDS cable? Mine does not appear to be the same as shown in that thread & the cables looks similar to my untrained eye.

Comment

The LVDS cable is the one at the top of the control board.
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks! Below is how I tested it, with a live video feed & no change.

Comment

Does the green light come on at all when you press power or is it always red? I just fixed a COBY LCD that would turn green then back to red. It was just a single bad capacitor that I replaced and it is as good as new.

Comment

I forgot to say that in my experience a capacitor does not have to look bad or bulged to be bad or not at full capacity. I would definitely check them with your multimeter.

Comment

The light in front never turns green, it blinks once 1 second after being plugged in & then stays solid red. There is a green light on the control board that comes on for 6seconds or so in between the clicks. What setting should my meter be set on to check them? Thanks

Comment

It's possible, but I highly doubt you have bad caps in this TV. A lot of these newer Samsungs are not known for having cap problems, since Samsungs were notorious for having bad caps in earlier models; they've since corrected a lot of those issues.

Did you try disconnecting the Y-buffer from the Y-main, leaving the Y-main and X-main connected to the power supply? Warning: When you go to reconnect the Y-main to the Y-buffer after this test, you need to monitor the voltages at the Y-main connector or you'll see a spark if the voltage is too high when you try to reconnect the two. I usually wait for the voltage to drop below 1V, or I discharge the caps on the Y-main. You can potentially cause damage if you don't wait for the voltage to drop.
                  Last edited by capkid; 09-22-2013, 04:44 PM.

Comment

I haven't tried that. If I leave the tv unplugged for 15 minutes before reconnecting the Y-buffer, will that eliminate the chance for damage?

Comment

Originally posted by Dowd, Elwood P. View Post
                      I haven't tried that. If I leave the tv unplugged for 15 minutes before reconnecting the Y-buffer, will that eliminate the chance for damage?
                      It could, but I'd still do a voltage check to be on the safe side.

Edit: It might be a good idea to disconnect the X-main from the panel at the same time.
                      Last edited by capkid; 09-22-2013, 04:51 PM.

Comment

ok thanks, I'll give it a try.

Comment

Just to be certain, which one is the Y-buffer? There seems to be a buffer boar on the left side & on the bottom. The board on the bottom was un plugged when I got the tv, I plugged it in but no change. I unplugged it for the rest of my testing.

Comment

The Y-buffer is the long, vertical board on the far left when you're looking at the TV from the back. Which board specifically has been unplugged while you've been testing?

Comment

This is the board that has been unplugged. it runs the entire length of the TV on the bottom.
                              Last edited by Dowd, Elwood P.; 09-22-2013, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Ok, I don't think it will make much of a difference, but I'd plug it back in anyway.
                                Last edited by capkid; 09-22-2013, 05:26 PM.

Comment

There looks to be 4 connectors for the Y-buffer. Would I just check one for voltage before reconnecting?

Comment

It wouldn't hurt to check all four. If I remember correctly, checking one is a good indicator.

Comment

Just remember with the long bottom board do not plug in while live.
                                      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I plugged in the bottom board, disconnected the Y-buffer, plugged the tv in & no change.

Comment

Working...
                                        X