Marvell Gigabit controller stuck at 100Mbps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marvell Gigabit controller stuck at 100Mbps

My NAS is a Windows 10 1909 64-bit PC running on an EVGA Z68 FTW motherboard which uses a Marvell 88E8057 network controller.

The problem is that the network connection is stuck at 100Mbps. That really sucks when I'm trying to move large files around.

I tried a few different network cables, I tried moving it from my Asus router to my Netgear switch (both of which are obviously gigabit).

Driver version is 12.10.16.0 which was automatically installed by Windows. EVGA's website lists an older version than that. Marvell's website lists 12.10.17.3 but when I try to install it, it says "a newer version is already installed"

Not sure what the next step is besides putting in a PCI-E NIC which I really don't feel like doing.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by shovenose; 02-08-2020, 01:19 PM.

Re: Marvell Gigabit controller stuck at 100Mbps

Did you try other cats? LOL.
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

It wouldn't bee the first time a Windows driver has screwed up an ethernet connection.
      Uninstall the Windows driver and install the one from the EVGA website.

Comment

I would be pissed and think of wiping the drive and reinstalling Windows.

Especially Windows 10 with Windows Update errors.
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
          Did you try other cats? LOL.
          Yes, I borrowed my friends furry friend and tried to shove it in the second Ethernet port because the motherboard has too. Unfortunately, I got a hissing noise and some scratches, and my friend is now angry at me.

Comment

Did you try setting the speed to 1000Mbps manually?
            It's quite common to have auto negotiation issues with gigabit Ethernet.
            Intelligent switches and most NICs have some options to change to alleviate that
            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
              Did you try setting the speed to 1000Mbps manually?
              It's quite common to have auto negotiation issues with gigabit Ethernet.
              Intelligent switches and most NICs have some options to change to alleviate that

Nope, in the drop down on windows I can't pick gig. Only 100 or autonegotiate.

Comment

try a linux livedisk,
                try a new cable - check it has all 8 wires connected.
                100mb does not use all 8, 1000 does.

if you still cant get it going, check the transformer on the motherboard and any asociated ceramic caps.
                if the chip cant detect all 8 lines it will not run at 1000.

incidentally, most marvel chips can run a cable test and even have a built-in TDR function.
                try tracking down the software - i think asus used to supply it with the top-end athlon boards.

Comment

Marvel have a DOS diag utility,and a Virtual cable tester . https://www.marvell.com/support/downloads.html
                  All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Cable would be my #1 suspect as well...I've ran into this a lot over the years.
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                    http://folding.stanford.edu/
                    Team : 49813
                    Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

i would sugest getting a q tip + IPA to clean the ethernet connector pins i had problem with connection cause of debris on the pins

Comment

maybe the pins are bent in the marvel Ethernet port? seen that and the actual port being worn out (from plugging in and out too many times). Other than that I guess drivers. Maybe a boot linux from a stick and retest.

Comment

simple way to test
                          1 just plug same cable to laptop and check speed ( don't change any setup)
                          if laptop works on 1gbps
                          2 boot from live cd from NAS ( Any win 10 live cd-dvd-USB works)
                          if not going on gbps check network port pins are straight and clean ( use alcohol and q-tips to clean it.
                          If Live cd works then some thing wrong set in network card drive advance settings.

Comment

Sorry, forgot to update, no solution, have tried all the physical cleaning and testing. Will try Linux at some point. Switched my Plex server/NAS to a different system solved the problem.

Comment

Working...
                            X