welder zimmer 201 power control board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

welder zimmer 201 power control board

can anyone help me with pcb connection rail? the mosfet failed . i replaced . it but creat spark on the side of pcb on capacitor 1000v 0.033nf
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Boyxba; 04-24-2022, 04:10 AM.

Re: welder zimmer 201 power control board

Is the orange device an IGTB type module if so I would check it for shorts and I would also check the driver for the mosfet that failed as well
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

The orange device is the transformer.
      If the mosfet shorted check if the source resistor is also opens, also check the gate drive resistors, usually when the mosfet fails it damages the control ic as well.
      All the burnt black carbon around C2 needs to be removed from the pc board as well or it may start to arc across.
      Last edited by R_J; 04-24-2022, 01:55 PM.

Comment

the drive of mosfet is 3845b..ic the resistors near the mosfet are ok...the capacitor has replaced . in the holes missing capacitor 0.033nf 1000v . at the hole near mosfet has a rail which goes to smd resistance and after to driver ic . before i dont know the rail where was gone ? the mosfet replaced p10nk80zfp..shall i replace drive mosfet ?
        Attached Files

Comment

most likely you need to replace mosfet again, as well as the 3845 which needed to be replaced with the mosfet.
          I still don't get how the capacitor immolated, probably a track under the capacitor.

Comment

The return of the source resistors (6R81 x 4) should connect to dc ground. Here is what I believe it should look like and how the traces connected through a feed thru under the C2 cap
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
              The return of the source resistors (6R81 x 4) should connect to dc ground. Here is what I believe it should look like and how the traces connected through a feed thru under the C2 cap
              the 2 points i marked was the capactior 0,033 1000v non polarity..the one side rail will connect to the ground ?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Boyxba; 04-26-2022, 07:18 AM.

Comment

I think the one end connects to the negative of the power supply, If it went to the positive they would have a trace from the positive of the electrolytic cap to the .033µf.
                Last edited by R_J; 04-26-2022, 10:45 AM.

Comment

I have changed non polarity capacitor mosfet and ic drive mosfet and i am stil have arc under non polarity capacitor when apply voltage...Can someone draw the circuit connection from bridge rectifier to the mosfet...resistnce...and the two capacitors..?
                  Last edited by Boyxba; 05-06-2022, 01:00 AM.

Comment

One thing is that you must clean all the carbon of the board where the part when bad first then go from there with high dc voltage in that area is going to cause issues

I have repaired plasma cutting machine boards and if you do have them clean near where the high dc voltage it is going to arc and error out

I personally have these issues in the past
                    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 05-06-2022, 02:21 AM.
                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                    1 Dell Mother Board
                    15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

You had absolute right i cut the pcb in the burn area and the machine start up...it has another issue ..on ports of welder has only 10volt ac...and if i increase amp it does a little better arc but its still weak for welding. i think voltage must be at last 30volts... shall i check the big capacitors with esr ? or its something else?

Comment

Sorry 10v dc..

Comment

You also need to check your connector connections from the board to the connector to the outside world and the connector from the outside world to your work lead and your grounding clamp and make sure that they are in good shape

These connections need to be very clean because the board senses the the voltage and controls the current at least the ones that I have worked do it this way

If after you have made sure that the connector connections are clean and in good shape and you are still having issues then you might still have an issue with the controller portion of the controller board

I have not personally worked on this exact controller board that you have but I have work on two different versions of welding machine controller boards before and it is somewhat difficult to figure out what can cause it not to function correctly ( sometimes it might not be repairable depending on what the issue is )

The approach that I use is that I start from the high voltage/high current output and work backwards until I reach the controller portion of the circuit and decide if it is a high voltage/high current output or is it the voltage/current feedback section of the controller function is the issue and go from there

One other thing that I would highly recommend is that you very closely look over the entire controller board for burnt trace and separated traces but look very carefully around the connectors to the outside world connectors and also look at every component on the board for cracking burnt marks and carbon traces

I would use a magnifying glass to do this and take your time to doing this because you might get lucky and find an issue that you did not see earlier but carbon track ( or to much flux residue ) between traces is going to be an issue do not over look this

Post a picture of the welder and all of the parts inside of the welder

One note you can check the big capacitor with an ESR meter but I can not tell you what value would be considered ( bad ) but here is one way that you can check this type of capacitor

If you have a adjustable power supply that has enough voltage for the capacitor that you are testing for example if it is a 50 volt capacitor and you have a power supply that can get you very close to 50 volts

Then charge the capacitor up to close to or up to 50 volts very slowly until you reach the maximum voltage of the capacitor then remove the voltage from the capacitor and have a volt meter on the capacitor and see quickly it discharges it should keep it charge for awhile before it reaches 0 volts

Another test that you can do is also put a LED on the capacitor with the correct value resistor for this voltage to control the current on the LED and see how quickly it discharge to where you do not see the LED is not lighting anymore ( it should stay light for a certain amount of time )
                          Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 05-06-2022, 10:43 PM.
                          9 PC LCD Monitor
                          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                          1 Dell Mother Board
                          15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

i have found on the pcb on the bottom a rail which was burned ....i see a resistance with crack on it the green one which i dont know its resistance the letters are not recognized..and the capacitor behind tip 127 had leakage after i start up the machine without change the resistance. i check it with multimeter and i saw 48ohms...the others are 6kohm ..each
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Boyxba; 05-07-2022, 10:27 AM.

Comment

I would give each circuit board a good look over for dull or cracked and bad soldering joints
                              ( I once had a battery charger controller board on big magnet that picked up metal plates that had very dull soldering joints and that once I clean the board of solder and re-soldered every joint it came back to life ) ( yes this is an extreme case example but I mention it because it can cause all kinds of issues )

I would also recommend replacing the capacitors with a 50uf or lower because they are known to dry out easier than capacitors with higher UF values ( might be advisable to maybe replace all the capacitors if you are having issues with them leaking )

I would also clean the flux off the board as well especially around ic chips

I see that this controller board has several optic sensors I would recommend that you check each one off the board and make sure that they are working correctly because I had an issue once on a controller board that some of the optic sensors were flaky and that was one of its issues
                              Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 05-13-2022, 03:24 PM.
                              9 PC LCD Monitor
                              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                              1 Dell Mother Board
                              15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Working...
                              X