Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Do You Think Are The Worst Capacitors ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Do You Think Are The Worst Capacitors ?

Ok Chaps, this Poll is to help give everyone a good insight into some of the WORST capacitor brands and series out there. Do note that some of the brands listed only have defects in particular series but other series are ok for example Samxon Gf caps suck but the Gd are good in my experience but you get the general idea. Feel free to vote then write down your experiences with the caps.
    Gsc/Evercon/Sacon/Capsun
    0%
    Capxon
    0%
    Fuhjyyu
    0%
    Samwha
    0%
    Samxon
    0%
    Rulycon/Jee
    0%
    Gluxon
    0%
    Teapo
    0%

The poll is expired.

Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Re: What Do You Think Are The Worst Capacitors ?

Capxon is definitely one of the most "consistently worse" capacitor manufacturers. I've seen their 2013/2014 caps fail on some Vestel sets. Whatever process failure is leading to that still remains unresolved - and I doubt they care to resolve it.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Not the first thread regarding this topic of discussion, and understandably, probably won't be the last.

I voted for CapXon, Fuhjyyu, Rulycon, and GSC. Rulycon aren't in production anymore but those are probably the worst, followed closely by Sacon/GSC and CapXon and Fuhjyyu. Not to say any of the other brands are impeccable (I'm looking at YOU Teapo!) but they seem to be capable of lasting a while, at least under lower thermal duress. Process failure? More like failure by way of deliberation.

There are many issues with cheap Taiwanese and Chinese capacitors, namely the traces of copper found in the lower purity of aluminum foil (and the aluminum is amorphous), the cheap, alkali-based electrolyte that doesn't have the proper phosphate and nitro compounds to deal with any overabundant hydrogen and reduce hydrogen gas or the right oxidizers to stabilize the dielectric with respect to the electrolyte's (with high amounts of H2O) tendency to act aggressively and violently toward the rest of the materials (it will consume the anode oxide film until it's no more and therein convert the aluminum into hydroxide, causing aluminum hydration and you know the rest). Another issue is imbalanced pH values (often too high).

These processes can reach occurrence on the shelf, operating temperature and voltage need not be anything but an expediting factor.

And GF isn't Samxon's only problematic series. GK and GL are known troublemakers and even GD and GC don't have a fantastic track record (alarming premature failures to be found on older EVGA/NVIDIA boards and many Intel 945 boards). But I will allow Samxon the benefit of the doubt with the window of possibility that they were counterfeits (though I see no evidence for that either, except for a notice they issued regarding the matter). Still, the fact that they can't manufacture good, entry level ESR range capacitors doesn't bode well to me for the rest of their capacitors. I would honestly consider Taicon better, except for their HD and HI series.

As a closing statement, though, each and every brand has had their issues, the Japanese included. Chemi-con's KZG and KZJ series has a higher failure rate than most "mediocre" brands and Nichicon had major issues early on with their HM and HN series with an equally high failure rate if not higher. If you are inquiring the worst brand that is the most commonplace, though, at least in modern equipment, undoubtedly CapXon. More so in recent years, though.
      Last edited by Wester547; 06-25-2015, 06:04 PM.

Comment

In my opinion none of those are bad compared to the bottom of the barrel chinese caps - Jwco, Rukycon etc. My general rule is that if the manufacturer uses the bullseye bung as standard - its probably crap.
        Last edited by Jooo; 06-27-2015, 11:13 AM.

Comment

GSC/Sacon. I've never seen them last longer than maybe 2 years. Sacon FZ also hold the record for the fastest death I've seen - 3 months.
          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Thats bad 3 months, I have seen capxon fail after 3 years in a be quite pc psu :L
            Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

Comment

Poll still open

Comment

if we are talking psu's then obviously Fukyou has a strong lead, followed by Teapo

those are the ones i see blown like a volcano!

Comment

i voted fuhjyyu as from personal experience, i had fuhjyyu caps in a thermaltake toughpower xt 575w psu i bought. when loaded, the psu gave off a musty damp smell. psu died after around only 1.5 years of total continuous usage and it actually had 5 years warranty!!! barely lasted 30% of its rated warranty lifespan!

a few months prior to dying, i also suspect the psu dmged and partially killed my gigabyte ep35-ds3 board that had all 100% jap solid poly SEPC caps. now, the board cannot enter the bios without locking up. since i am a power user, the board is now practically useless to me as i can no longer change the bios settings.

srsly, fukyou fuhjyyu! if there was a hell for capacitors, fuhjyyu would be satan or the devil.
                  Last edited by ChaosLegionnaire; 08-16-2015, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Yeah I agree, sorry about the board as well. Fuhjyyu are pure crap when ever I have encountered them in power supplies they are failed. Complete crap.

Comment

I think all these capacitors shit all except Teapo and Samwha excluded because personally have not seen any and I can not comment.
                      And the worst thing for me is Gluxon and GSC.
                      Here a test of my hatred of Gluxon capacitors:

Bye
                      Gaming pc:
                      nVidia RTX 3080 TI, Corsair RM750I.
                      Workshop PC:
                      Intel core i5 8400, Intel SSD 256GB, nvidia gt1030, asus b365-a.
                      Server:

Comment

Originally posted by kevin! View Post
                        I think all these capacitors shit all except Teapo and Samwha excluded because personally have not seen any and I can not comment.
                        And the worst thing for me is Gluxon and GSC.
                        Here a test of my hatred of Gluxon capacitors:

Bye
                        I agree but however what vent does that Gluxon cap have it might be made by teapo. I have seen lots of of the Teapo made Gluxon brand failed in tvs.

Comment

That looks like a pre-Teapo Luxon LZ.

Am I the only one that thinks there is a slight difference from GSC, Sacon, and Evercon? In my experience I have noticed that Evercon hold up a little better than the other two, Sacon being the worst. But I always laugh when I see "125C" temp rating on those blue/gold Evercon ME caps. I call bullshit Is this just because the Evercon caps are newer, since they went GSC-->Sacon-->Evercon?

Comment

That's either G-Luxon LZ, LD, or LU (LZ would otherwise have white stripes and light green sleeves). I only consider Teapo SC a hair or two better than G-Luxon LZ (pre-Teapo acquisition).

No, I don't think there's even a glancing difference between GSC, Sacon, and Evercon. They are just somewhat inconsistent and unpredictable like any other crap brand. If they couldn't bring to bear a single decent product, they wouldn't be in business. It's why they had to change their company name three times in a row. Capsun is the actual company that produces capacitors for them, and probably a sundry of other bad brands.

Truth be told, Teapo and Samwha are very bad capacitors (IMHO). Teapo are often failed without any signs evident to the sensory, that's why they 'appear' okay. Yes, the 125*C rating is definitely bunk. I'd group Teapo and Fuhjyyu under the same category, only a whisper above CapXon and GSC. And yes, I've seen G-Luxon resleeved Teapos fail too. I consider Teapo SH to be worse than G-Luxon SM. Teapo polymers might be okay, but not their lytics.

EDIT: Samwha's general purpose capacitors do last longer than their low ESR capacitors (not dissimilar from Samyoung in that respect), I will give them that.
                            Last edited by Wester547; 08-19-2015, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
                              That's either G-Luxon LZ, LD, or LU (LZ would otherwise have white stripes and light green sleeves). I only consider Teapo SC a hair or two better than G-Luxon LZ (pre-Teapo acquisition).

No, I don't think there's even a glancing difference between GSC, Sacon, and Evercon. They are just somewhat inconsistent and unpredictable like any other crap brand. If they couldn't bring to bear a single decent product, they wouldn't be in business. It's why they had to change their company name three times in a row. Capsun is the actual company that produces capacitors for them, and probably a sundry of other bad brands.

Truth be told, Teapo and Samwha are very bad capacitors (IMHO). Teapo are often failed without any signs evident to the sensory, that's why they 'appear' okay. Yes, the 125*C rating is definitely bunk. I'd group Teapo and Fuhjyyu in the same category, only a whisper above CapXon and GSC. And yes, I've seen G-Luxon resleeved Teapos fail too. I consider Teapo SH to be worse than G-Luxon SM.
                              I think that samwha are ok caps. Yes they did have several cock ups like the Wb, Xc, Wl, Wd and Va series which tend to fail prematurely however other series like the Rd, Rz, Rh, Ra, Pt ect are decent and will last many a year even if abused. Where as I think teapo are just pure shit I dont know how people call them ok I have seen too many failed to even consider them as a ok brand.

Comment

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
                                And GF isn't Samxon's only problematic series. GK and GL are known troublemakers and even GD and GC don't have a fantastic track record (alarming premature failures to be found on older EVGA/NVIDIA boards and many Intel 945 boards).
                                Yeah, it is really strange that after aprox. 8 years we find bad ultra-low ESR caps when Rubycon, Panasonic, Nichicon, Sanyo caps of similar type are failing too. It is all bad Samxon while the others are crystal clear. I see

Especially on Intel Pentium 4/Pentium D boards which have like 2-3phase VRM for 100watt processors.
                                Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                                GSC/Sacon. I've never seen them last longer than maybe 2 years. Sacon FZ also hold the record for the fastest death I've seen - 3 months.
                                I think I've read here around it somewhere that some of those infamously fuhjyyued Antec PSUs were also able to fail within a few months under heavy load.
                                Last edited by Behemot; 08-26-2015, 10:25 AM.
                                Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                                Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Well Fhyjyyu win !

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                                    Yeah, it is really strange that after aprox. 8 years we find bad ultra-low ESR caps when Rubycon, Panasonic, Nichicon, Sanyo caps of similar type are failing too. It is all bad Samxon while the others are crystal clear. I see

Especially on Intel Pentium 4/Pentium D boards which have like 2-3phase VRM for 100watt processors.
                                    Wow, don't know how I missed this before. Well, ever since you've conferred with Man Yue and found out that their QC testing process isn't the best, I think we can both agree upon the notion that they can be called mediocre overall. Those GC/GD capacitors on those EVGA/nVidia boards would often fail after a year though, but again, due to being shafted to the lower end of Samxon's QC testing division, not because Man Yue is a terrible company in so many words.

Of course feeding Prescotts and Pentium Ds with 2 phase, 2 choke VRM buck converters doesn't help any, nor do those scorching hot (and at times, freestanding) FETs with very thin and small copper planes that don't do well to dissipate heat. Also remember that heat only accelerates whatever defects which may already exist in the chemistry of any solution or solvent.

Fuhjyyu may win in the poll in question but I think it can be universally concurred here that no brand is worse than GSC/Sacon/Evercon. YEC might tie with them, but those weren't as common, like with Rulycon. And those Fuhjyyus failed so quickly, even being Fuhjyyus, because the fan controller was way too lax for its own good.
                                    Last edited by Wester547; 11-17-2015, 11:46 AM.

Comment

wonder why ost wasnt included in the list of options? ost are quite a pain on boards that i've had. a very common symptom is the cmos settings being reset/wrong on a power on. nightmare to have to go into bios to recustomise all the settings again and again. utter garbage ost....

Comment

OST are fine if you dont cook them.
                                        i'v had 20+ year old AT psu's from 386's with ost's in them still working.

Comment

Working...
                                        X