No announcement yet.

Windows 10 benefits - Are there any?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows 10 benefits - Are there any?

not on mine.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
      my first pc, a 286 had 4MB of memory,
      win311 and dos both work fine with more.
      Right you are... GB, not MB! I catch myself doing that all the time... this time I didn't catch it.

Originally posted by momaka View Post
      You CAN have more than 4 GB of memory in Windows XP 32-bit, but you need to enable PAE...
      I didn't hear about the PAE tricks until after I made the jump. FWIW, I tried the Win 7 x86 patch (wj32.com/PatchPAE... new one out today, how about that?) to enable PAE before I went to 7x64 on my laptop, and it didn't work (and despite what the author of the page says, I did follow the directions precisely).

Upon further research, several Windows updates that were already on my system were listed as possible reasons it didn't work, but I didn't want to have to worry not only about nefarious updates (GWX, telemetry, etc.), but also about not breaking the PAE patch, so I just started over with x64. I'd only finished installing 7 x86 and getting everything working (even the fingerprint reader) and updated a few days prior... I had not even activated the x86 version yet (it uses the same key for 32 or 64 bit, of course).

Personally, I haven't found a need yet to go past 2 GB of RAM. Even 1.5 is enough for what I do these days. Maybe a year or two from now, when the web bloats even more, I will need 2+ GB.
      I have 8GB on my main PC, and it's woefully inadequate for my needs. The system hits the page file so hard that my SSD can almost be heard audibly complaining (though it should still last ~10 years at the rate data is being written to it). Firefox x64, in particular, with my 30 some-odd addons, seems to think that the goal is to use every last byte of memory available. Granted, I tend to let it keep going forever (until it uses up all the memory, at which time I restart it), and I rarely close tabs other than when I restart Firefox, so I regularly see a hundred or two tabs open. I've read that Chrome is even worse when a massive number of tabs are open.

Comment

not on mine.
        Same here. With AU turned completely OFF (including the service), I don't see how that will happen.

Originally posted by Ascaris
        I have 8GB on my main PC, and it's woefully inadequate for my needs. The system hits the page file so hard that my SSD can almost be heard audibly complaining (though it should still last ~10 years at the rate data is being written to it). Firefox x64, in particular, with my 30 some-odd addons, seems to think that the goal is to use every last byte of memory available. Granted, I tend to let it keep going forever (until it uses up all the memory, at which time I restart it), and I rarely close tabs other than when I restart Firefox, so I regularly see a hundred or two tabs open.
        No offense, but leaving over 50 tabs open... sounds just lazy . How can you even keep track of that many anyways? I know I can't (but I am a bit slow too... so maybe that's why ). I read what I read, but at the end of the day my PC has to be shut down and all browsing history and cache is cleared. No exceptions. And yes, I have to restart my browsers mid-session sometimes too. While FireFox is indeed a bit memory-hungry, it isn't the only one. Even good old Opera 10/11/12 will hoard too much RAM after a while. I think it's more to do with the web coding and active content these days - many websites load way too much unnecessary crap for no reason. Badcaps and a few other small websites are really the only places that I haven't seen degrade to that path. I can still view BCN on my Pentium 3 laptop with 512 MB of RAM never hit pagefile, even after browsing all day.

But with FireFox 24, I can have a maximum of 10-20 YouTube tabs open before I run out of RAM (1.25 GB on this PC) and start hitting pagefile. I suppose that is good enough for now, though.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
          No offense, but leaving over 50 tabs open... sounds just lazy .
          Oh, I am! Won't deny that.

How can you even keep track of that many anyways?
          Addons, mostly. Classic Theme Restorer colors the unread tabs differently, and I have Tab Mix Plus to make sure that daughter tabs are opened just to the right of the parent (current) tab, so I can see the new ones and know what order they were opened in.

As for the tabs that have been open longer, I use the All tabs list and the tab groups display (from which I can search the open tab titles).

I actually started to reply to this topic before, but I got distracted when I saw that my tab groups display had a warning that the feature was being removed soon, and I had to go see what that was about.

Sigh... remember what I wrote a few messages ago, about using addons to fix Mozilla's flubs? Add this to the list. Now this feature I use is being removed and will have to be added back with an extension. I really don't get the logic-- The developer tools are built in, even though very few people are devs as a percentage of users, but they keep taking out regular user features and leaving it to the aftermarket to put them back.

They've been on this "Let's do whatever Google does with Chrome" kick for a while, and it's getting really annoying. If I wanted Chrome, I would have it. I sometimes wonder if they're not just tired of it and trying to kill Firefox off... but if that's so, why not just leave?

I read what I read, but at the end of the day my PC has to be shut down and all browsing history and cache is cleared.
          I never shut down the PC unless I am going to work on it, and I don't get rid of the browsing history. It's too valuable! I always want to go back and revisit things from days ago.

Cookies, though, get deleted as soon as the tab is closed, and I have an addon to do it manually as well (I use it before and after using Google).

Comment

Originally posted by Ascaris View Post
            Sigh... remember what I wrote a few messages ago, about using addons to fix Mozilla's flubs? Add this to the list. Now this feature I use is being removed and will have to be added back with an extension.
            *Sigh* browser updates

Just as annoying as OS updates, though probably a little less important. I only update my browsers when pages stop displaying right (and even then, I still continue to use my old browsers sometimes.)

They've been on this "Let's do whatever Google does with Chrome" kick for a while, and it's getting really annoying.
            That's how everything is in the tech world nowadays. One company does something, and then the next instant they all are doing it - regardless if it's bad or good.

I never shut down the PC unless I am going to work on it, and I don't get rid of the browsing history. It's too valuable! I always want to go back and revisit things from days ago.
            But you can do that with Bookmarks/Favorites too.

At least I do. Which is why I like Opera 10/11/12 so much - saving and organizing bookmarks is extremely easy.

Cookies, though, get deleted as soon as the tab is closed, and I have an addon to do it manually as well (I use it before and after using Google).
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMAsZGjpxx8#t=2m51s

Comment

Only one good thing about Win 10, it's free. I can't tell you how many Win XP and Win Vista PCs I've Installed a semi legal version of Windows 7 on, before upgrading to full on legal Windows 10. Makes resale value go from "absolutely zero" to "at least it's worth my time".

Comment

Originally posted by LLLlllou View Post
                Only one good thing about Win 10, it's free. I can't tell you how many Win XP and Win Vista PCs I've Installed a semi legal version of Windows 7 on, before upgrading to full on legal Windows 10. Makes resale value go from "absolutely zero" to "at least it's worth my time".
                That is what the Nazis told the Jews when they got off the trains, the showers were "FREE".

Comment

Trojan horse analogy fits much better^^
                  "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                    Trojan horse analogy fits much better^^
                    No. My analogy fits just fine. It would not be a Trojan Horse when people with some common sense keep telling others exactly what the main purpose Microsoft has built into Windows 10 which is spyware.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkey55 View Post
                      That is what the Nazis told the Jews when they got off the trains, the showers were "FREE".
                      That is an absolutely correct train of thought. I am not a politically correct person, so it doesn't offend me....
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                      http://folding.stanford.edu/
                      Team : 49813
                      Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

politically correct is a dumb term anyway.
                        does it mean someone is a lying greedy satanic piedophile?

Comment

does it mean someone is a lying greedy satanic piedophile?
                          I dont know....it would depend on the person and the context.
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                          http://folding.stanford.edu/
                          Team : 49813
                          Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

in the context of being like the average politician!

Comment

What do the bangs mean? I imagine that it would be that it can be done, but with aftermarket solutions. I'm especially looking at the one about uninstalling all bundled "apps." I'd require that before 10 would become an option-- and I mean ALL "apps," including bits of the UI that use apps instead of traditional dialogs.

Windows knows my PC is not a mobile device with a tiny touch screen meant to be operated with big, fat, clumsy fingers, so there's no reason I should ever be looking at any metro/modern/universal stuff, whatever they are calling it these days.
                              I am not sure this is possible 100%, but there is Win10 Enterprise LTSB which is the closest to what you are looking for. For businesses only unfortunately, and you also lose things like the Edge browser. On telemetry, be aware of https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...r-organization, including the "security" level.
                              Last edited by yuhong; 05-19-2016, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Anyone know why my Windows 10 always crashes when I plug my MP3 player into any USB it always crashes ? Its not the MP3 as it works fine in other Win7 Pc's lol Win10 is actually shit though its slow, glitchy and goofy as fuck no benefits at all to the hunk of shit OS !
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by ReeceyBurger123; 05-19-2016, 04:12 PM.
                                Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

ignore that technet pile of lies.
                                  for a start, it lists about 5 servers - all m$ domains.
                                  we already know the data is sent to something like 20 - half of them dont look like they are m$ addresses.

Comment

Originally posted by ReeceyBurger123 View Post
                                    Anyone know why my Windows 10 always crashes when I plug my MP3 player into any USB it always crashes ? Its not the MP3 as it works fine in other Win7 Pc's lol Win10 is actually shit though its slow, glitchy and goofy as fuck no benefits at all to the hunk of shit OS !
                                    lol - "we are just collecting some mp3 content info to upload to the MPAA - please wait"

Comment

ignore that technet pile of lies.
                                      for a start, it lists about 5 servers - all m$ domains.
                                      we already know the data is sent to something like 20 - half of them dont look like they are m$ addresses.
                                      What list of 20 servers are you referring to? If you are referring to https://archive.is/QFL8e , I do wonder what the akamai servers refer to. But note that you can't choose the security level during installation (you have to use registry or group policy), so it most likely reflects "basic" level.
                                      Last edited by yuhong; 05-19-2016, 04:37 PM.

Comment

lol - "we are just collecting some mp3 content info to upload to the MPAA - please wait"
                                        Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Originally posted by yuhong View Post
                                          What list of 20 servers are you referring to?
                                          0.0.0.0 vortex.data.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 vortex-win.data.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
                                          0.0.0.0 oca.telemetry.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 oca.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
                                          0.0.0.0 sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
                                          0.0.0.0 watson.telemetry.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 watson.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
                                          0.0.0.0 redir.metaservices.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 choice.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 choice.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
                                          0.0.0.0 df.telemetry.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 reports.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 services.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 sqm.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 telemetry.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 watson.ppe.telemetry.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 telemetry.appex.bing.net
                                          0.0.0.0 telemetry.urs.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 urs.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 bing.com
                                          0.0.0.0 telemetry.appex.bing.net:443
                                          0.0.0.0 settings-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 vortex-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 survey.watson.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 watson.live.com
                                          0.0.0.0 watson.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 statsfe2.ws.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 corpext.msitadfs.glbdns2.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 compatexchange.cloudapp.net
                                          0.0.0.0 cs1.wpc.v0cdn.net
                                          0.0.0.0 a-0001.a-msedge.net
                                          0.0.0.0 statsfe2.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
                                          0.0.0.0 sls.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
                                          0.0.0.0 fe2.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
                                          0.0.0.0 diagnostics.support.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 corp.sts.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 statsfe1.ws.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 pre.footprintpredict.com
                                          0.0.0.0 i1.services.social.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 i1.services.social.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
                                          0.0.0.0 feedback.windows.com
                                          0.0.0.0 feedback.microsoft-hohm.com
                                          0.0.0.0 feedback.search.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 public-family.api.account.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 adnxs.com
                                          0.0.0.0 c.msn.com
                                          0.0.0.0 g.msn.com
                                          0.0.0.0 h1.msn.com
                                          0.0.0.0 msedge.net
                                          0.0.0.0 rad.msn.com
                                          0.0.0.0 ads.msn.com
                                          0.0.0.0 adnexus.net
                                          0.0.0.0 ac3.msn.com
                                          0.0.0.0 c.atdmt.com
                                          0.0.0.0 m.adnxs.com
                                          0.0.0.0 sO.2mdn.net
                                          0.0.0.0 ads1.msn.com
                                          0.0.0.0 ec.atdmt.com
                                          0.0.0.0 flex.msn.com
                                          0.0.0.0 rad.live.com
                                          0.0.0.0 ui.skype.com
                                          0.0.0.0 msftncsi.com
                                          0.0.0.0 a-msedge.net
                                          0.0.0.0 a.rad.msn.com
                                          0.0.0.0 b.rad.msn.com
                                          0.0.0.0 cdn.atdmt.com
                                          0.0.0.0 m.hotmail.com
                                          0.0.0.0 ads1.msads.net
                                          0.0.0.0 a.ads1.msn.com
                                          0.0.0.0 a.ads2.msn.com
                                          0.0.0.0 apps.skype.com
                                          0.0.0.0 b.ads1.msn.com
                                          0.0.0.0 view.atdmt.com
                                          0.0.0.0 preview.msn.com
                                          0.0.0.0 aidps.atdmt.com
                                          0.0.0.0 static.2mdn.net
                                          0.0.0.0 a.ads2.msads.net
                                          0.0.0.0 b.ads2.msads.net
                                          0.0.0.0 db3aqu.atdmt.com
                                          0.0.0.0 secure.adnxs.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.msftncsi.com
                                          0.0.0.0 live.rads.msn.com
                                          0.0.0.0 ad.doubleclick.net
                                          0.0.0.0 bs.serving-sys.com
                                          0.0.0.0 pricelist.skype.com
                                          0.0.0.0 a-0002.a-msedge.net
                                          0.0.0.0 a-0003.a-msedge.net
                                          0.0.0.0 a-0004.a-msedge.net
                                          0.0.0.0 a-0005.a-msedge.net
                                          0.0.0.0 a-0006.a-msedge.net
                                          0.0.0.0 a-0007.a-msedge.net
                                          0.0.0.0 a-0008.a-msedge.net
                                          0.0.0.0 a-0009.a-msedge.net
                                          0.0.0.0 aka-cdn-ns.adtech.de
                                          0.0.0.0 cds26.ams9.msecn.net
                                          0.0.0.0 lb1.www.ms.akadns.net
                                          0.0.0.0 az361816.vo.msecnd.net
                                          0.0.0.0 az512334.vo.msecnd.net
                                          0.0.0.0 msntest.serving-sys.com
                                          0.0.0.0 secure.flashtalking.com
                                          0.0.0.0 s.gateway.messenger.live.com
                                          0.0.0.0 schemas.microsoft.akadns.net
                                          0.0.0.0 settings-win.data.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 msnbot-65-55-108-23.search.msn.com
                                          0.0.0.0 vortex-bn2.metron.live.com.nsatc.net
                                          0.0.0.0 vortex-cy2.metron.live.com.nsatc.net
                                          0.0.0.0 www.vortex.data.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.vortex-win.data.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 https://www.telecommand.telemetry.mi....com.nsatc.net
                                          0.0.0.0 www.oca.telemetry.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.oca.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
                                          0.0.0.0 www.sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
                                          0.0.0.0 www.watson.telemetry.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.watson.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
                                          0.0.0.0 www.redir.metaservices.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.choice.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.choice.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
                                          0.0.0.0 www.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.reports.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.services.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.sqm.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.telemetry.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.watson.ppe.telemetry.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.telemetry.appex.bing.net
                                          0.0.0.0 www.telemetry.urs.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.urs.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.bing.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.telemetry.appex.bing.net:443
                                          0.0.0.0 www.settings-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.vortex-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.survey.watson.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.watson.live.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.watson.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.statsfe2.ws.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.corpext.msitadfs.glbdns2.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.compatexchange.cloudapp.net
                                          0.0.0.0 www.cs1.wpc.v0cdn.net
                                          0.0.0.0 www.a-0001.a-msedge.net
                                          0.0.0.0 www.statsfe2.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
                                          0.0.0.0 www.sls.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
                                          0.0.0.0 www.fe2.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
                                          0.0.0.0 www.diagnostics.support.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.corp.sts.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.statsfe1.ws.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.pre.footprintpredict.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.i1.services.social.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.i1.services.social.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
                                          0.0.0.0 www.feedback.windows.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.feedback.microsoft-hohm.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.feedback.search.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.public-family.api.account.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.adnxs.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.c.msn.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.g.msn.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.h1.msn.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.msedge.net
                                          0.0.0.0 www.rad.msn.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.ads.msn.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.adnexus.net
                                          0.0.0.0 www.ac3.msn.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.c.atdmt.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.m.adnxs.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.sO.2mdn.net
                                          0.0.0.0 www.ads1.msn.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.ec.atdmt.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.flex.msn.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.rad.live.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.ui.skype.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.msftncsi.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.a-msedge.net
                                          0.0.0.0 www.a.rad.msn.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.b.rad.msn.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.cdn.atdmt.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.m.hotmail.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.ads1.msads.net
                                          0.0.0.0 www.a.ads1.msn.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.a.ads2.msn.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.apps.skype.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.b.ads1.msn.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.view.atdmt.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.preview.msn.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.aidps.atdmt.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.static.2mdn.net
                                          0.0.0.0 www.a.ads2.msads.net
                                          0.0.0.0 www.b.ads2.msads.net
                                          0.0.0.0 www.db3aqu.atdmt.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.secure.adnxs.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.www.msftncsi.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.live.rads.msn.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.ad.doubleclick.net
                                          0.0.0.0 www.bs.serving-sys.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.pricelist.skype.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.a-0002.a-msedge.net
                                          0.0.0.0 www.a-0003.a-msedge.net
                                          0.0.0.0 www.a-0004.a-msedge.net
                                          0.0.0.0 www.a-0005.a-msedge.net
                                          0.0.0.0 www.a-0006.a-msedge.net
                                          0.0.0.0 www.a-0007.a-msedge.net
                                          0.0.0.0 www.a-0008.a-msedge.net
                                          0.0.0.0 www.a-0009.a-msedge.net
                                          0.0.0.0 www.aka-cdn-ns.adtech.de
                                          0.0.0.0 www.cds26.ams9.msecn.net
                                          0.0.0.0 www.lb1.www.ms.akadns.net
                                          0.0.0.0 www.az361816.vo.msecnd.net
                                          0.0.0.0 www.az512334.vo.msecnd.net
                                          0.0.0.0 www.msntest.serving-sys.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.secure.flashtalking.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.s.gateway.messenger.live.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.schemas.microsoft.akadns.net
                                          0.0.0.0 www.settings-win.data.microsoft.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.msnbot-65-55-108-23.search.msn.com
                                          0.0.0.0 www.vortex-bn2.metron.live.com.nsatc.net
                                          0.0.0.0 www.vortex-cy2.metron.live.com.nsatc.net
                                          gotta love that "NSAtc.net" address!!!
                                          m$ needs to go fuck themselves.

Comment

Working...
                                          X