Samsung HL67A750 DLP with bad caps!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung HL67A750 DLP with bad caps!

My precious gave up the ghost tonight. She's been having problems with turning on for a while now, we've just been leaving her on, and today, my 17 month old pushed the big blue button and now she won't come up. when I plug her in, she tries to turn on, and tries valiantly. After a short while, she clicks, tries again, waits a bit, clicks and tries one more time, then she just flashes her three forlorn lights at me and says sorry dad, no go. It used to be that I could sit there and try to cycle her repeatedly and she would eventually come up, but alas, not tonight. So I cut her open, ripped her guts out with a screwdriver and my bare hands and took pictures of the carnage - (4) 2200uF 25V caps BADLY vented at the top, 2/4 have a small bit of black crust in the creases of the vents. All 4 are Samwha WBs. Here's my question - aside from the space issues inside the chassis, how important is it that the replacement caps are the same physical size (height and diameter) as the ones that are in there now? Do I need to rip the back off again and measure that? Or can I just go ahead and order them from Digikey? I won't ask what kind to get, cause I know that causes holy wars
    Attached Files

Re: Samsung HL67A750 DLP with bad caps!

Poor thing. Samwha are not very good. Time to replace all of them not just the vented ones. It's not so much diameter that is important, but ESR and ripple ratings. You want the ESR to be the same or slightly lower, and the ripple rating to be the same or higher. I would use Panasonic FC, nichicon PW, Chemi-con KY

Comment

KY seems right for my baby lol. But in all seriousness, The Panasonic FC over Nichicons? I'm new to this part of the game, I just know that everyone has their personal favorites, Wondering what the reasoning behind that choice is?

Comment

I wasn't listing personal preference, just ones that would be suitable Any of those series with the right diameters, and they most likely have better ripple ratings

Comment

So I do need to measure the diameter of the caps? That was the other thing I wasn't sure of.

Comment

Near as I can tell with a tape measure, they are 11/16" (.6875") diameter and 1 1/16 " (1.0625") tall. The three that I see closest to that diameter on DigiKey are all .709" diameter. Will .0215" in diameter make a difference? or can we assume that since I was using a tape measure and not a set of calipers that maybe my measurement was a leeeetle off? In that Diameter, they have a Panasonic FC , p/n EEU-FC1E222S, a Chemicon KY, p/n EKY-250ELL222MM20S, and a Nichicon PW, p/n UPW1E222MHD6. All three of these come in at a height of .787" (20mm), well below the current cap height. It looks like the KYs have the highest ripple at 2.86A, and the lowest impedence at 26mOhm. Can anyone tell me, are those better ratings than what I'm replacing?

Comment

I can't find a spec sheet for the WB series... I found this on Mouser, any thoughts on better/worse? It's within a penny of the same cost as the ones from digikey. My daughters are freaking out that they can't watch TV today, and I have got to get these ordered and shipped. Anyone have any feedback?

Comment

As long as you can get them into the board the diameter and height are unimportant, the Samwha's are middle of the road caps, panasonic, nichinon, and rubycon are great caps as long as you dont get the ones with the least amount of ripple you should be fine. If it was me I would go for the Panasonic Fm, Smaller in diameter, 3.75 ripple rating, 12mOhm impedance

Link to digikey
                http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...=0&pageSize=25
                Last edited by Caleb; 08-29-2013, 08:49 AM.
                Liberating magic smoke one part at a time

Comment

Thanks Caleb, I'll take your advice and go for those. Dear god, my wife is going to kill me if I don't get this TV fixed tomorrow lol.

EDIT: annnnd tomorrow isn't happening. There is no way I am paying $90 for overnight shipping on 4 caps!
                  Last edited by Tiezane; 08-29-2013, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Just realized, the Panasonic FMs won't fit, they're too tall (the power supply board for this TV sits vertical, right up against the shell, and the uppermost cap is practically brushing the top right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiezane View Post
                      Just realized, the Panasonic FMs won't fit, they're too tall (the power supply board for this TV sits vertical, right up against the shell, and the uppermost cap is practically brushing the top right now.
                      Yep indeed. Plus I think the 12mOhm esr is too low for a switchmode PSU. That is 0.012 ohms!

You simply should have gone with this one you found before:
                      EKY-250ELL222MM20S
                      Last edited by ben7; 08-29-2013, 11:34 AM.
                      Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

now I'm lost ben, thanks lol. I thought lower ESR was better? I found a specsheet for the WB series, http://www.evita.lt/getPdf.php?id=5845. I was looking at the Panasonic FC, http://industrial.panasonic.com/www-...BA0000CE22.pdf It would like like the Panasonic actually have a LOWER ripple, and higher resistance? So the FC would not be a suitable replacement?

Comment

Hey folks, I'm in a panic now. How important is it for Ripple to be the same or higher? I ask because according to the Samwha WB spec sheet, the ripple on those things is 3460! Most of the recommended models of caps on here have a much lower ripple, in the 2400-2800 range. The impedence is listed at 15 mOhm as well, and most everything I'm seeing that is a good fit for size is 20+.

Comment

i have replaced caps on 5 tvs and 1 monitor so far

i have used all panasonic fr,fm,fc series
                            these always seem to be the first choice to go with on this site and i have had no issues with them
                            and i always buy what is suggested since the guys on this site know what they are talking about

as to physical size of the caps i have tried to get the same exact size if not then as close as i can get
                            sometimes you get lucky and get the same size but not always since i started to replace caps

when i order these from digikey i just select panasonic and fr,fc,fm and pick the cheapest ones with the closest match in size and of course uf/voltage ratings
                            Last edited by jose6326; 08-29-2013, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jose6326 View Post
                              and i always buy what is suggested since the guys on this site know what they are talking about
                              You're right, and I should trust them, I just have a hard time when I'm hearing two conflicting bits of info. Especially when I'm going to be paying ~$40 to have the parts delivered asap. That said, after looking some more at Newark, and their shipping costs, I'm ordering the Panasonic EEU-FR1E222S, which seemed to be the closest match. Fingers crossed, I payed for the next day by 4:30 PM shipping, so I should have them in time to watch this TV again this weekend!

Comment

it only takes 3 days from digikey to my location in chicago
                                and i only pay $4 for shipping if under a pound

and i really neverhad any conflicting info on caps
                                its always panasonic for the first choice since i started on this website
                                Last edited by jose6326; 08-29-2013, 03:25 PM.

Comment

you don't have kids, do you? I have a 4 year old and a 17 month old who love their sites. try telling them that the tv isn't going to work for 6 days and they will go nuts. I didn't want to risk it, and the over night shopping from Newark was cheaper than digikey's 2 day for me. As for conflicting info, what I meant was that aol over this forum I see the experts saying to replace caps with the same or lower ESR, and the same or higher ripple. that's the only reason I was asking, because I wanted to make sure of what I was ordering.

Comment

Well after you get this one fixed you may try picking up broken free tvs, then you can have a backup... or two or three. I have 5 working now and 4 more under going repair, my wife rolls her eyes when I start talking about tvs. I hope for your sake that the blown caps are the only trouble present or you may be locked out of the house next week Btw you may be able to get it to turn on again by waving the magic hairdryer over those caps for a minute, get them warmed up and it may give you service until your caps arrive.
                                    Last edited by Caleb; 08-29-2013, 06:40 PM.
                                    Liberating magic smoke one part at a time

Comment

lol Thanks Caleb. I actually have started finding TVs on craigslist, I have a few queued up, one I'm actively working on is another Samsung, LN40B650, that one I had to replace the mainboard on, I'm just waiting for it to ship. I also have a Maxent 42" plasma and a Dell W2600 LCD, but the DLP had to jump up and take precedence today lol. I'm actually about to try an EEPROM reset on the 650 to see if I can breathe some life into that before the mainboard gets here. If the Caps on the DLP don't fix it, I may be on the street before the weekend is out. I'll give the hair dryer a shot for the DLP too, but honestly, I think those caps may be too far gone. when I pulled the board to take the pictures last night, the TV came on briefly after I reconnected everything, but the light engine kept flashing on-dim-off-on-dim-off without showing anything, except when I changed inputs it would briefly show the input label before going off. Eventually it just cycled back to the three flashing lights, and it's sat there ever since. The only way to stop it is to unplug it.

Comment

Well, tried the hair dryer, no luck. I was able to jerry-rig a 19" monitor for tonight.tomorrow, it'll have to do. It looks so.... tiny sitting in front of a 67" lol. Thanks for all the help folks, new caps should be here tomorrow (today!) and I should be back up and running. I'll post photos

Comment

Working...
                                        X