Nichicon 6800uf 56wv CE 85c replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nichicon 6800uf 56wv CE 85c replacement

I can find no specs on these caps. They are bulged at top and test bad. Date code on top indicates 1993, so it's no surprise.
    Tests (OOC):
    4982uF .05 ESR
    5469uF 0 ESR
    They are from the PSU of a Sony STRD611 stereo receiver.
    Attached Files

Re: Nichicon 6800uf 56wv CE 85c replacement

3800ma general junk.
    Attached Files

Comment

Not surprising. Thanks. I did look for LK series in Nichicon but couldn't find anything.

Comment

The terminal style (one terminal offset 90 degrees) corresponds to Chemi-Con terminal code LI and with the current series of Nichicon snap-in units, I cannot seem to find units with this terminal style, although Chemi-Con still makes units with the aforesaid terminal style.
        My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Originally posted by tntnfree
          They're actually pretty poor quality, internally at least, compared to japanese polymers.

ALL polymers are better than wet electrolytics, what's your point???

When someone starts making 6800+ uf, 50+ volt, polymers your post may become relevant.

BTW, looks like the Nichicon LS series is the current replacement for the LK series, but anything with 3 amps of ripple current, or better, should be fine.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice and info. This is not a critical project and it's been tabled for the time being. The caps are from the PS of a Sony STRD-611 reciever I picked from the trash. I checked the specs on the reciever and it's not that great, however I could utilize a 75watt/channel stereo amp sometimes. I don't have anything close enough to replace the caps with even for a test and on a fixed income I've got to be carefull what I spend money on. Perhaps I'll find the caps in something else that comes my way but I don't think they are that commonly used.

Comment

given the fact that newer caps will be smaller and you need a 10mm snap-in,
              i'd be looking out for something like 10,000uf at 63v

Comment

Thanks STJ. I'm not concerned that they are snap-ins, I can fit radials if need be. Why do you say BOLO for 10,000uf? I know you can go somewhat higher on capacitance in many cases but that seems like a big jump. Is that because they are more common thus more likely to be found in used gear? Also, other than audio power supplies what other equipment is more likely to have caps that I could use for this?

Comment

The LK series (and 105C GK series) are large can general purpose parts, but I wouldn't call them junk. They were very good for their time - introduced in the late 80s, IIRC - and for filtering 50Hz/60Hz. By the time this stereo receiver was produced the LK series had been superceded (IIRC) by the LQ series. Nichicon tends to be really slow about obsoleting older, popular, series.

Comparing general-purpose snap-ins to low impedance electrolytics is an apples-pears comparison, and snap-ins vs. polymer is an apples-pineapples comparison. BTW, the highest voltage rating for a polymer cap I've seen - not that I've looked recently - is 35V. Put one of those in a 50V circuit and you may witness a launch!

I'd suggest replacing this with the current 105C series part, which may also be smaller, improving airflow.
                  PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                  To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Before we blame the capacitor, are the rectifier diodes ok?
                    I find it odd both went prego, being reasonable quality filter caps in an audio amp.

Comment

silly question with these snap in style caps.... the solder tab is much larger than a typical radial style, do these large tab style caps carry more amperage than a radial style of the same farad?

Comment

they can do,
                        the good news is most of them have the same distance between the tabs - 10mm
                        so you only need to watch the diameter & height when ordering.

there are some exceptions, very large caps may have between 3 and 5 tabs, but only 2 are used - the others are just to hold it to the board.
                        and there are some rare cans with 2 seperate capacitors in one can.

Comment

Originally posted by tntnfree
                          They're actually pretty poor quality, internally at least, compared to japanese polymers.
                          Way to go, one-quote-wonder.

You don't strike me as someone who'd even know the difference- coming in here and stirring up a little "fight" among members; a hell of a nerve, not even a proper comparison.
                          Whadda you care, probably got an agenda.

Originally posted by scammer/spammer
                          We provide guarantee to pass spanishprograms.com gmat with online exam training spanishprograms - spanish classes itil and you can also get best quality rosettastone mcat along with The Polyglot Club mcat for your guaranteed success.
                          Don't let the door hit u in the ass.
                          "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                          Originally posted by shango066
                          All style and no substance.
                          Originally posted by smashstuff30
                          guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                          guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

^
                            The can of meat has been removed (as has its manufacturer) .
                            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Working...
                            X