Help identifying these old caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help identifying these old caps

Hi everyone coreangel here i purchased some time ago a random case of all types of caps from Electronics Goldmine, and it had tons of Y,X Caps,Electrolytic caps,film caps,etc

Now while i know many are old or probably used or NOS, i still want to know your opinion on some of them i am uploading some of the pictures up to here for input and see if they are worthy to go in the good caps section

(The first one is a nichicon cap,it has no bung just a flat bottom. at first i thought it was a counterfit cap and it was going to have a tiny underrated cap in the inside... nope it's all electrolyte material, although it looks old? it's still moist which left me surprised .)

(The second set of pics is a Nc cap? made in japan 16v 10000uf(M) it says NASA CE 85C(degrees) 9535

the other one is a lilac A ce W Japan Cap 85C 2200uf 16v with no vent marking on the top just 7hK1)

the other one is a AM 470uf 10v cap rok9143 85c agr cap)

(The last set of caps

Ritchey 105C 63V 470uf ,

ITT 2200.0u 16.0S Cap, and a

chemicon KMG 25v 2200uf cap,and last but not least

Elna (looks audio grade) rjh 6.3v 4700uf ce105c 9840 s)

If you think that enough take a look at the rest

what am i supposed to do with it all i though it was just going to be a couple of caps not this:

Now should i test them all ( i have an ESR meter with additional functions on order)

the i also took a pic of an X-cap (phillips brand)

any suggestions, are they all crap caps? can they be used for repairs, or are they all just not worth it? thanks for all the help
    Attached Files
    Yes i love Nichicon MUSE Audio Capacitors...they would look awesome all over any motherboard

Re: Help identifying these old caps

Electrolytics look like general purpose caps. I've got some similar bins of NOS caps. They are useful for some things, just make sure to test each before using because some have lost forming and/or dried out over time.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveNielsen View Post
      Electrolytics look like general purpose caps. I've got some similar bins of NOS caps. They are useful for some things, just make sure to test each before using because some have lost forming and/or dried out over time.
      thanks thats what i thought about the electrolytics maybe they are just vintage stuff...However the rest of all the caps ceramic,film, should i test them all?...
      Yes i love Nichicon MUSE Audio Capacitors...they would look awesome all over any motherboard

Comment

i guess my post is not popular,or is too boring lol, i should have clarified what i wanted to ask,

Are these caps worth anything the elctrolytics and the ceramic ,and all the other caps?

Comment

elecrolytics are worthless, the tantalums and multi-layer ceramics are normally pretty expensive and usefull.
          the film caps are good if your into audio.
          how much did those packs cost?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
            elecrolytics are worthless, the tantalums and multi-layer ceramics are normally pretty expensive and usefull.
            the film caps are good if your into audio.
            how much did those packs cost?
            It was a box for 15-20 dollars i think 2 orders of random caps, i mostly got film caps as you saw, but the electrolytics especially the nichicons are what got me ( i wonder if they are fakes) i dont think i have tantalum caps, but i do have lots of x caps or y caps,and film caps, do they dry up like electrolytics? is there a time when they cant be used any more?

Comment

tantalums look like yellow or blue blobs on wires.
              you have lots.

i doubt anything you have is fake, just old.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                tantalums look like yellow or blue blobs on wires.
                you have lots.

i doubt anything you have is fake, just old.
                Thanks for the info

Yes i do have tantalum caps, mylar caps,mov,Ceramic EMI suppression caps,film caps,i have to sort them all out, however can they be used in any application as a replacement part? If i had a defective film cap can i use one of these? is there a set life when older film caps expire and can't be used.(my noobness is showing here

Comment

Originally posted by coreAngel View Post
                  any suggestions, are they all crap caps? can they be used for repairs, or are they all just not worth it?
                  The X and Y caps are very useful if you like to play with cheap power supplies.

The polypropylene/polyester/polystyrene caps are useful if you are building audio circuits or replacing old wax capacitors in very old electronics.

Bot the X/Y and poly- caps don't age much without use, so you can use them with no worries.

The electrolytic caps you have look like general purpose stuff. Probably not suitable for motherboard, monitor, and power supply repair. Given that most of them are quite large in capacitance, they are probably fine for linear power supplies, though (i.e. simple power adapters with a line transformer + rectifier + caps). And should be okay for audio gear as well.

The only thing is, you might have to reform those electrolytic capacitors. This is done by hooking the capacitors in series with a resistor (10 KOhms usually works for one or two caps... use 2 to 5 KOhms for more caps) and charging them as close as possible to their maximum rated voltage. Leave the caps hooked to your charing power source for at least a few hours. And don't forget to discharge them before putting in a circuit.

I usually charge 6.3V caps with 5V, 10V caps with 9V, 16V caps with 15V, 25V caps with 20-24V, and 35V caps with 30V (I just have a bunch of wall-warts and small power adapters at my disposal for that).

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                    The X and Y caps are very useful if you like to play with cheap power supplies.

The polypropylene/polyester/polystyrene caps are useful if you are building audio circuits or replacing old wax capacitors in very old electronics.

Bot the X/Y and poly- caps don't age much without use, so you can use them with no worries.

The electrolytic caps you have look like general purpose stuff. Probably not suitable for motherboard, monitor, and power supply repair. Given that most of them are quite large in capacitance, they are probably fine for linear power supplies, though (i.e. simple power adapters with a line transformer + rectifier + caps). And should be okay for audio gear as well.

The only thing is, you might have to reform those electrolytic capacitors. This is done by hooking the capacitors in series with a resistor (10 KOhms usually works for one or two caps... use 2 to 5 KOhms for more caps) and charging them as close as possible to their maximum rated voltage. Leave the caps hooked to your charing power source for at least a few hours. And don't forget to discharge them before putting in a circuit.

I usually charge 6.3V caps with 5V, 10V caps with 9V, 16V caps with 15V, 25V caps with 20-24V, and 35V caps with 30V (I just have a bunch of wall-warts and small power adapters at my disposal for that).

thanks for the tip i have heard of reforming the caps but im still unsure about those behemoths of nichicons even though i thought they were fake i opened one up and sure enough a long roll of wet paper and aluminum film.So i just think they are old, ill test capacitance with my new meter when it arrives from china...

Comment

If it has a vent, then it is not that old. Be careful with really old (I think early 80's and older) vent-less caps. Those can explode when they gas-up good enough inside - literally !

Comment

Originally posted by coreAngel View Post
                        thanks for the tip i have heard of reforming the caps but im still unsure about those behemoths of nichicons even though i thought they were fake i opened one up and sure enough a long roll of wet paper and aluminum film.So i just think they are old, ill test capacitance with my new meter when it arrives from china...
                        They are not fake, but really really old. I see a 82 datecode on the Nichicon - that makes it 33 years old. On the capacitor marked nasa the datecode is 95 - so that is 20 years old.
                        Personally, I would not use them.

Comment

The Nichicon looks to be sealed with epoxy, so if it can be reformed without damaging the dielectric (and if it has a vent), it might be good for use.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                            If it has a vent, then it is not that old. Be careful with really old (I think early 80's and older) vent-less caps. Those can explode when they gas-up good enough inside - literally !
                            Like Apple II PSUs..... The caps in the PSUs seem prone to popping and oozing a fluid looking like coffee!
                            The electrolyte used by the manufacturer of the caps prone to blowing, looks at least a little different than many people remember electrolyte looking like, IIRC.

But, fortunately, by the time the caps bulge and ooze, they will easily be 30 years old or around that.

Nothing like caps in the 2000s. A possible exception would be MSI motherboards in 1999, where brand "Chhsi" possibly first appeared.

The circa-2000-period (includes a fewer caps in 1999) cap fiasco is why badcaps.net exists!
                            Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 09-26-2015, 02:21 PM.
                            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
                            X