Sony STR-KS2300 5.1 channel A/V receiver circa 2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony STR-KS2300 5.1 channel A/V receiver circa 2007

This belongs to my best friend. He came home one day after a heavy thunderstorm and it wouldn't turn on. Eventually I took the cover off, then removed the PS board for close examination. I found no sign of any burning, so examined all caps. There are many, at least 50, all white letters on black, and all Rubycon or Nichicon except two little Jamicon SKs, a 22uF 35V and a 100uF 16V. I removed the two suspects. ESR showing on my ESR60 for the 100 was about 1.6, so I put in an FR to replace it. For the 22 the ESR60 reported "open circuit or low capacitance". I found no brand name match for the 22, so put in a new SC, whatever that is, gotten many many moons ago from Jameco, reading about 22.4 and .64 ESR. Now the Sony powers up again, and my friend is seriously delighted. He really didn't want to undo and redo all the work involved in wiring that 5.1 system up in his house, and wasted a lot of time over many months fruitlessly pursuing an exact match replacement on Craigslist and eBay. to have been able to learn here about good and bad cap brands.
Working...
X