Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kenwood DNX570HD No boot Red Triangle Lit - Characteristic Fault?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kenwood DNX570HD No boot Red Triangle Lit - Characteristic Fault?

I'm hoping to find the answer to a no boot, red triangle illuminates fault in a Kenwood DNX570HD. I have two of these double-DIN head units and they both have the same failure mode, which makes me think it may be a characteristic fault, but so far I haven't been able to unearth any intel on this.
    The symptomology for both is: when power applied to red/yellow leads, the red triangle illuminates for about 40 seconds and the fan starts. After this time passes, fan stops and the triangle goes dark. Pressing the red triangle reset causes the same sequence to repeat.
    I have the service data on this unit and checked the voltage regulator module, IC200 (syscon IC) reset and clock oscillators. I cannot say for certain if IC200 is not seeing a monitoring input it needs or if its firmware is corrupt or if it has failure to communicate with one of the sub-micro's, such as the front panel controller.
    Unfortunately mum's the word from Kenwood on this, so if the nature of this fault is know, please give us the golden key.
    Thanks, Jeff de AC4AQ

Re: Kenwood DNX570HD No boot Red Triangle Lit - Characteristic Fault?

I have one of these as well, with the same symptom. I haven't really looked into it yet. We have just purchased another one.
    I have seen a few on Ebay, with the same symptom.

Comment

I've seen over a dozen Kenwoods with the same issue. It seems to affect multiple double din models and years from the DNN and DNX 4 digit models to the newer 3 digit models. Right now I have at least 4 of them sitting on a shelf hoping I can find a fix.

A separate issue is the nav software gets corrupted on them and will cause a blank screen or a garbled screen if nav is selected. I can fix that - there is a micro-sd card inside the unit. Has a funky partition scheme but I can copy it. You can also put the card in the external slot leaving it out of the internal one as well and even put updated maps on it. I know this part pertains to the 2013, 2014, and 2015 models (example, DNX690HD, DNX691HD, DNX692).

On the 2016 models Kenwood changed them from running WindowsCE to Linux and the nav software is on a flash chip on the daughter board instead of a micro sd card. The 2016 and newer are also a lot faster but a few other differences - nag screen is on system boot instead of when launching the nav. Multiple hidden menus can be accessed by tapping the screen in particular spots and a particular order. I've also seen at least one 2016 model that has the same "death" where you just get the red triangle.

From what I've been able to figure on all of them is there is not a hardware problem. The main system firmware on an on-board nand chip has become corrupted in some way. I think the key to fixing them will be getting a chip dump from a working unit and somehow flashing that onto the chip in the dead unit either in-place or by replacing the actual chip (still would require the correct firmware).

I've not had time to poke enough yet but what I've been hoping for is to potentially locate a serial or lower power TTL serial set of contacts on the main board. If that could be located then its quite possible one might find a bootloader and be able to reload software via a serial console which would be much easier (for me anyways).

Some other info in this thread - https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30525

Now - specifically for the DNX5080EX, DNX570HD, DNX690HD, and DNX890HD I have a factory "dealer" updater that will likely fix the 570 units you have. It fully loads ALL software including the Garmin software and it will be at an old version but you can update it afterward. I wish I could get ahold of this type of an updater for later models too. I have a couple of 691's, a 572, a 692, and a 693 around that are all pseudo-dead.

I have uploaded the "dealer" updater for the 570HD here - take a look and let me know if it fixes yours. I have used this to recover several 570HD units.
      https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mi...gRKq1zY_1vgWgH

Comment

Thanks for all that.
        I will try it out, and let you know about the outcome.
        Last edited by tibimakai; 01-09-2020, 09:48 AM.

Comment

The USB has to be formatted in FAT? I have tried FAT32 and nothing happened.
          On mine, the backlight turns on, but nothing else.

Comment

Just to be clear, mine does not show any kind of image since it is started. The only thing that comes on, other than the red triangular LEd, is the backlight.
            I can turn it off, by the button, so something is working alright.
            Most likely, my issue is different than yours. Yours has a corrupt Garmin software.

Comment

I tried the dealer firmware reload but so far I can't initiate the upload. The instruction in the .pdf at Step 4 is ambiguous: it says connect the USB memory device to the USB terminal, not to the I-pod terminal then turn ON. The only USB on the DNX-570HD is the one on the extension cord, the only I-pod connection is by Bluetooth, I believe. (I don't have an I-pod.) I can't turn the unit ON, when I connect 13 VDC to the Main and Backup terminals, the red triangle illuminates, the fan starts and both stop after about 40 seconds.
              I suspect the data on IC500 likely is corrupt, but I can't figure how to reload it. The only choice may be to buy the NAND E2PROM from PacParts before they go NLA, the PCBA is already. If I go to that much effort and expense, I will read the IC before I solder it on, so I'll have a "pure" fileset, for the next time it croaks.
              Thanks for the help, Jeff/jHh

Comment

Yeah on both that sounds like the main system is corrupted. There is a way to reprogram them but ONLY if you can get ahold of the correct and specific files that it needs. The internal daughterboard has a connector that can be used for USB debugging and firmware loading via Telechips FWDN utility. You have to remove the disc drive, tie a USB cable into three pins, then short a couple of pads while powering it up and it will show up in Windows Device Manager (also need the FWDN drivers and it only works on Windows 7 and older) and the FWDN utility can then connect and start uploading the firmware. If FWDN does not make a connection after about 20 seconds the unit shuts back down. There is a guy with an electronics service business in Johannesburg South Africa (he is legit) that can get the software as well as provide instructions on how to connect, where the pads, etc are and then will walk you through the process. I think he charges $100. https://www.facebook.com/karstensaudio

I cannot vouch for him myself as I've not used his service but someone I know and trust referred me to him.

Comment

Do you mean the Micom is corrupted?
                  I had this issue in the past with another unit, and Kenwood has replaced the Micom.

Comment

System Mi-Con IC206.

Comment

Hi guys, I new on the forum, I have a DNX890HD that I´m sure that use the same software that 570HD Unit. I have removed the IC 500 (NAND Flash Memory) from the daughter board, because I think that the software on it is corrupted.
                      I think that we can create a image bank for it Flash Memory and others units to fix this recurrent issue on Kenwood car radios. I would appreciate if anyone can share a valid dump of the DNX570, 5700, 690,5230, 5330 etc.to try load on my flash memory. If someone are interested, I have a dump of the DNX9980HD, just let me know and I will share this file.
                      Thanks in advance.
                      Geo
                      LU1CHD.

Comment

That would be nice to have dumps, but I don't think, that there are to many that have one.
                        Which reader did you use, to read the dump?
                        The 9980 has a different IC, the newer ones, I believe use a Toshiba IC and requires a more expensive reader.

Comment

I know that not all people have possibility to take a dump of the his car radio, but could be good idea to make a repository since the flash memmory is not cheap to buy one every time that we need to repair a unit. Personally, I´m using a RT809H eprom programmer.
                          The 9980HD, uses the same 2Gb flash memmory like the 570HD with different software inside.
                          Sorry if my english is not clear.
                          Regards.
                          Geo
                          LU1CHD.

Comment

I have only a TL866, which I don't think can read the IC.
                            I agree with you, it would be great, but not to many people repairing Kenwoods.
                            Once, I have purchased the IC for a DNX6990 and I have fixed it, it was around $60. Not cheap at all.
                            Last edited by tibimakai; 02-25-2020, 10:13 AM.

Comment

My dnx570 has the corrupt gamin issue. Everything else still works fine but navigation only works for a couple minutes before it goes haywire. A reset fixes it, but only for a couple minutes again.

I see you mention the internal sd but do not say what needs to be done here. I imagine my data is fine, but the sd is just not able to keep up anymore.

I would also try flashing the entire firmware but your link is no longer valid.

If anyone has any info on either of these possible fixes I would love to try them. I am removing the unit but it really works fine outside of navigation.
                              Last edited by SMDFlea; 04-28-2021, 04:19 AM.

Comment

I have DNX Ver. 1.6.0 firmware 78MB, which has a bunch of Garmin files as well as other ROMs. Here is a pic of the files in it. PM if you have a big mailbox for it.
                                There's a separate load for DAB V3.18.11.0.2, but IDK about it.

These Kenwoods are really finicky about power on/off and I find that scrambles things if they are not finished booting and you key off or start with a weak car battery.
                                Attached Files

Comment

I'm curious about that "dealer" software you have linked in your post, but the link doesn't seem to work. I very much doubt it will help me any, but I'm just wondering if there's anyway that you can repost it, send me the link etc... I don't mean to be a bother and just happened to stumble across this site today after hours of Google searches and finding tons of people with the exact same issue. Plus I'm a cheapskate and don't want to deal with sending in my unit to Kenwood.

Comment

I have just fixed mine. I have reflowed the main CPU on the GPS daughterboard and it is working now. Others have resoldered the Toshiba IC, on the same board, but in my opinion, the BGA solder balls are cracking most likely.

Comment

Thanks, but as I mentioned on the previous post, that I have reflowed the main CPU on the daughter board and it turned on. It is already sold.

Comment

Try reflowing the BGA chip on the daughter board.

Comment

Working...
                                        X