Pioneer VSX-1122K won't turn on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pioneer VSX-1122K won't turn on

I'm starting a new thread for this receiver.
    I don't have a service manual for this receiver, so I really need some help there.
    This receiver is completely dead. I don't know which key combination resets the receiver.
    I have tried the usual Pioneer button combinations, but it is still dead.
    The power supply is totally different then the 1022k model. It s a SMPS style power supply.
    It seems like the standby voltage of 5V is present, at the main capacitor, there is 161V which is present.
    I have applied 6V on the relay and it clicked, so this one most likely it's not the cause.
    There is a TOP258MG IC on the board.
    What seems weird to me, is that the double diode after the transformer shows AC voltage on all three pins. There is another glass diode, which shows only 0.088 on the diode testing setting. This seems to be installed at one of the output voltages.
    I have tested the TOP IC for short and I did not find any.
    Soon I will take some pictures.
    I have also turned on the receiver, with all the wire harnesses disconnected from the amp, still a no go.
    Any help would be appreciated. A schematic would be great.
    I'm wondering which other Pioneer receiver would have the same, or similar power supply?
    Last edited by tibimakai; 08-29-2014, 08:08 PM.

Re: Pioneer VSX-1122K won't turn on

I have found the service manual under VSX-60.
    It seems like this whole power supply, it's only for a 5.6V/3.2A power source.
    This would be the standby board?
    I have forgot to mention, that there is no relay clicking at all.

Comment

Comment

Anybody has any ideas what to do with this receiver?
        Since it is a SMPS power supply, can I do the resistor forced start up, like on TVs?
        The 5.6V is there, but there is nothing at the Mainpower input. I'm thinking, that would be the start up command(power on) signal.
        This signal is coming from the HDMI board.
        The relay get's 5.6V. but I don't hear any click, that is weird.

Comment

The relay has a cover, so I have removed it and forced it to turn on.
          I had the click this way, but nothing else happened. Tried the reset also, it's still a no go.
          The voltages from the transformer, that go to the front panel are there 2 x 2.7Vac, the connector CP1 2 x 41.5Vac going to the main base board(I believe it's the D board) are there. At the connector CP2 there is a 10.3V. At the connector CP3 there are 2 x 13.5V.
          I have tried with or without the amp connectors connected, no difference.
          Power button is good.
          So it seems, that the SMPS and transformer are working OK. Something else causing the problem.
          Just in case, I will take out the amp section and measure the finals, to be sure that there are no shorts.
          Any ideas would be appreciated.

Comment

Amp section looks good, did not find shorted finals.

Comment

OK, I have noticed in the service manual, that there is a troubleshooting for no power condition.
              I have followed the steps, all the way to check the 15MHz at quartz X3001.
              I don't know how to check this. The scope shows a wave form(sinus), but I don't know how do I know if it is 15MHz or not?
              After this step, there is the last step, is to check the reset IC IC3005(J126077004210-IL). I can't find any info about this IC. It is a four pin tiny IC and is available to purchase from pacparts.
              What this reset IC should do and how could I check it?
              Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

The previous owner, mentioned that it's possible that a lightning caused this problem.

Comment

I have managed to measure the 15MHz and it's OK.
                  The reset IC can be checked with a scope at pin #1 and #2.
                  These readings don't really look like what they are showing in the SM.
                  I'm not sure if I'm using the scope the right way though.
                  After this I thought to try another type of reset procedure, that I have read about on vs forum. I have held the power button for 10 seconds and the display turned on showing Power On. The problem, that it just sits there with that message. I'm trying other resets, or entering service mode and nothing else seems to work.
                  At least, it shows some "life". I'm not sure, what else can I do. Any input would be appreciated.
                  I'm thinking to replace that reset IC, but I don't know what it does in the fist place. I'm thinking if pacparts sells these parts, it could be a common issue with these receivers.

Comment

So many views and nobody has any ideas what could cause this symptom?
                    Just to recap the current situation.
                    Receiver would turn on only, if I hold the On/stby button for 10 sec. and it shows Power on and it's stuck there. It could be corrupted firmware?

Comment

Nobody has ideas?
                      Why would stop powering up? The speaker relays do not click.
                      When this happens on TVs(like Vizoi logo on screen), usually is corrupt EEPROM right?

Comment

Nobody?
                        The 10 sec reset, is not even mentioned in the SM. I don't know what is doing the receiver, when I do that. It just turns on and shows Power On.

Comment

Anybody could explain how these receivers work?
                          What it takes to get a fully turned on receiver?
                          It doesn't turn on the speakers(no second relay click), it could have some issues with the amp? But then, why is not showing an error code?
                          It could be a corrupt firmware?

Comment

After I reset it and it shows the Power on on the display, I have measured all the DC voltages after the main transformer and the voltages are there. +/-56V, +/-12V, +/-5V, 5.6V stby, power on 4.2V(?!) for smps power supply. The last one I haven't really checked yet, what it suppose to be.
                            There is another voltage -30V FV, which shows only -23V. I don't know if that is enough or not.
                            I could really use some help with this receiver.

Comment

The -30 fv is for the florescent display, being a bit low may cause the display to be a bit darker that it should but if the display is working don't worry about it for now.
                              The speaker relays will not turn on if there is dc voltage at the output of the power amp.
                              This is to protect the speakers, check for dc voltage on the relay contacts (on the amp side not the side going to the speakers) it should be less than a volt. if its close to + or - 50 volts there is a problem with that channel of the amp. (you may need to monitor that point as the amp is turned on) check each channel (you could also check the voltage at the junction of the emiter resistors ie (r424 and r430) (r517 and r511) etc. they may be easier to access
                              Last edited by R_J; 09-11-2014, 10:23 AM.

Comment

I have already tested the final transistors and I did not find any shorted one.
                                I will look into the relays. It's very hard to measure in there.
                                If I remove the back plate, I'm getting some kind of error and it won't turn on.
                                I'm placing wires to some boards to the chassy, but it still shows an error(blinking led).
                                Which board/output has to be grounded?
                                Thank you, for replying, I was getting desperate with this receiver. It almost seems, like a software problem.
                                Last edited by tibimakai; 09-11-2014, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Each amp has a test connector, so I have measured those points at pin#3.
                                  They are all between 0.020-0.030V.

Comment

The voltages that I'm getting are right?
                                    They shouldn't be half the supplied power(58V : 2= 29V)?

Comment

Any more ideas?

Comment

I have checked the protection circuitry.
                                        On page #35, there is a Temp protection circuit, where are two pins at IC3004, one is #72 and the other is # 81.
                                        On pin #72(TR_Detect/Normal 5V and TR Thermal 0V) I'm measuring 4.22V and on pin #81(TEMPSD5/Normal 5V and RADI THERMAL 0V) I'm measuring 5.027V. This look good.
                                        Not sure about that 4.22V it's not 5V though.
                                        Another protection circuit is the Overload and DC protection circuit. It's on page #33.
                                        There are two pins, that I should measure, pin #71(XOLERR) and pin #80(XDCERR).
                                        At pin #71, I'm measuring 4.405V and at pin #80, I'm measuring 4.865V.
                                        I don't know, how much these should be, but since the V+5V_ST is 5V and these voltages are after two resistors, they seem right no?

Comment

Working...
                                        X