Compaq Presario CQ61 - Fan spins, no display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compaq Presario CQ61 - Fan spins, no display

Hello, I have this laptop and it turns on, fan spinning but I have no display or backlight on the screen. I connected it to an external monitor through HDMI but no display. Removed one Ram, reseated the other and swapped them, nothing changed. Motherboard is DA00P8MB6D1 REV: D
    Can anyone help me repair it?
    Last edited by WhiteWolfHellas; 07-07-2020, 02:30 AM.

Re: Compaq Presario CQ61 - Fan spins, no display

disconnect all power remove CPU RAM BIOS battery hold the power button for 10sec & try , dose the key Bord LED flash if so how many times or any beeps ? check the voltage of all BIG Gray Coils & update ?
    Last edited by Techtiger; 07-07-2020, 02:37 AM.

Comment

check dc adapter for proper voltage.. check bios ic voltage and also the rtc cmos battery.
      Never stop LEARNING because life never stops TEACHING!

Comment

Originally posted by techtiger View Post
        disconnect all power remove CPU RAM BIOS battery hold the power button for 10sec & try , dose the key Bord LED flash if so how many times or any beeps ? check the voltage of all BIG Gray Coils & update ?
        Did that but nothing changed. I have attached an image of the motherboard with the voltages.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Duranitron View Post
          check dc adapter for proper voltage.. check bios ic voltage and also the rtc cmos battery.
          RTC battery = 3.1V
          Power adapter = 18.3V

Comment

I maintain a fleet of 8 CQ61s of various configurations for a client.
            I've reflowed or replaced the Radeon IGP on more than one to fix an intermittent/no graphics issue.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteWolfHellas View Post
              Did that but nothing changed. I have attached an image of the motherboard with the voltages.
              can you confirm PL10 PL5 voltage are missing ?

Comment

look for something that over heats..specially on the processor or gpu area then measure the gpu or processor voltage and post it here..

Comment

Athlon II version? Probably the motherboard or CPU failed. Look for one of the LEDs on the keyboard flashing like once per 5 seconds. Probably board reporting a CPU comm failure. Possibly bad SMD caps. (maybe the power brick)
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Hello. Try to reprogram BIOS with clear ME region.

Comment

Originally posted by krawat274 View Post
                      The one I received to reinstall Windows on, was the Athlon II version and it had Windows 7, IIRC. In April, 2013 and it was BSOD'ing at stock clocks. Very strange, as it should be throttling or shutting off instead of a Windows error!
                      Then it looked like I received the same one again in November, 2014, it was dead, with the motherboard apparently flashing a code for CPU comm failure!
                      Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 07-07-2020, 11:23 AM.
                      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

I bet on yet another dead RS880M.
                        OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

do we solve the problem of op WhiteWolfHellas or this is another case..?

Comment

Originally posted by techtiger View Post
                            can you confirm pl10 pl5 voltage are missing ?
                            pl10 = 1v
                            pl5 = 0.5v

Comment

Originally posted by Duranitron View Post
                              look for something that over heats..specially on the processor or gpu area then measure the gpu or processor voltage and post it here..
                              The PL7, PL8, PL9, PQ39, PQ40, PQ42, PQ43 are really hot but PQ36 and PQ37 (SOP-8) are too hot to touch. Can't even touch it for more than 2 seconds.

I have voltages on the CPU area 1.8V.
                              In the GPU area I have 1.8V, 1V. I didn't have the time to check in detail.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by WhiteWolfHellas; 07-08-2020, 05:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                                Athlon II version? Probably the motherboard or CPU failed. Look for one of the LEDs on the keyboard flashing like once per 5 seconds. Probably board reporting a CPU comm failure. Possibly bad SMD caps. (maybe the power brick)
                                There are no LEDs flashing

Comment

Originally posted by krawat274 View Post
                                  I can reprogram the BIOS, but what is "clear ME region"?

Comment

"ME" is management engine.

That's the Intel portion that interfaces the processor with the motherboard, at least partially.

That's only on Intel.
                                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Hi
                                      To 99% it is GPU Problem
                                      Do a mild Reflow on them and check if picture come

Comment

if nothing works.. try the suggestion of mielta.. reflow the gpu.. make sure you use solder flux. if nothing happens.. you need a new gpu...

Comment

Working...
                                        X