• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Compaq Presario CQ61 - Fan spins, no display

Originally posted by mielta View Post
    Hi
    To 99% it is GPU Problem
    Do a mild Reflow on them and check if picture come
    On this model with ati-not even 99%, its 100% bad gpu. Reflowing will be waste of time. You need to change the chip. However, reliable chip are very hard to find.

Comment

Make sure you *don't reflow* and *don't use flux*… Just heat the northbridge die to 200°C max for a minute and a half and it'll come back to life. And it'll fail again a few days later, so it has to be replaced.

I've had luck with the RS880M from see-ic. Not saying they're 100% trustworthy (they aren't), but there's not much else you can do.
      OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Originally posted by piernov View Post
        Make sure you *don't reflow* and *don't use flux*… Just heat the northbridge die to 200°C max for a minute and a half and it'll come back to life. And it'll fail again a few days later, so it has to be replaced.

I've had luck with the RS880M from see-ic. Not saying they're 100% trustworthy (they aren't), but there's not much else you can do.
        Why not reflow and not use flux though? Isn't heating it up for a minute and a half called reflow?

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteWolfHellas View Post
          Why not reflow and not use flux though? Isn't heating it up for a minute and a half called reflow?
          It's failed internally rather than it being an external BGA failure.

Comment

Reflow is for bad solder joints under bga chip. In case of RS880M-more often its the internal die on top of the chip which fails. Perhaps, thats why piernov has asked just to heat the die on it and not reflow it. Hope that clears your query.

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
              Reflow is for bad solder joints under bga chip. In case of RS880M-more often its the internal die on top of the chip which fails. Perhaps, thats why piernov has asked just to heat the die on it and not reflow it. Hope that clears your query.
              Yes, thank you for the information.

I found a thermal pad with thermal paste on the gpu when I removed the heatsink. Isn't that wrong? I mean it is not how it leaves the factory, this was replaced by another technician, right?

Comment

in my opinion using thermal pad is worst in dissipating heat that is why many gpu that uses it breakdown prematurely. i rather use an copper shim to directly transfer the heat to the gpu heat sink. i replaced a lot of defective bga gpu chip that uses thermal pad and i always placed copper shim to the new bga gpu and it lasted a lifetime... warning using copper shim that is too thick will kill the gpu.. i learned that the hard way... .
                Last edited by Duranitron; 07-13-2020, 06:18 AM.
                Never stop LEARNING because life never stops TEACHING!

Comment

In my opinion using copper shim is usually a bad idea. If the cooling system was designed with thermal pads in mind you risk damaging the die by using copper shim, or having alignment issue so the copper shim or the heatsink doesn't sit perfectly flat on the chip (so one side isn't properly conducting heat).
                  Also even laptop is designed with thermal paste (rather than pad) between GPU and heatsink, unreliable GPUs will end up failing anyway.
                  OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Working...
                  X