Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LG 47LW650S - no picture, no sound, no backlight, power ok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG 47LW650S - no picture, no sound, no backlight, power ok?

I had paused my media player and when I came back after 10-20 minutes the TV screen was black but the power LED was white, so the TV was still on. At first I thought it was a problem with my media player but soon I realised that it was the TV. I really want to (try to) repair it because they don't make new 3D TVs anymore.

Symptoms:
    - no picture
    - no sound
    - no backlight
    - can still be turned on/off, power LED works (red/white)

Product Code
    47LW650S-ZC.AEUYLJG

Power Board
    EAX62865401/8 EAY62169801

Mainboard
    EBT61401005 LD12C EAX63686303(3) 101216

I checked the voltages on the 24-pin connector between the power board and the mainboard with the TV turned on:

Code:
    3.5V  => 3.540V
    12V  => 11.93V
    24V  => 24.32V
    PWR-ON => 3.438V
    ERROR => 0V
    PWM  => 3.203V
    DRV-ON => 0.042V
    Anything else I should check before I use my hot air rework station on the SoC?

Re: LG 47LW650S - no picture, no sound, no backlight, power ok?

"DRV-ON => 0.042V" Looks like the mainbooard is not sending the proper voltage to turn the backlights on.

Comment

Try a simple reset, unplug tv for 5 minutes, hold power button in on tv for 30 seconds, plug tv in and try it.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
        Try a simple reset, unplug tv for 5 minutes, hold power button in on tv for 30 seconds, plug tv in and try it.
        That was the first thing I tried, but still no picture/sound/backlight. The fuses on the power board are good, the voltages are good and visually everything looks good. It probably needs a SoC reflow/reball but I want to be 95% sure I didn't miss anything else before I attempt a (temporary) repair with some hot air.

Comment

Try giving the bga a good heating with a hairdryer, see if it works if only for a bit.

Comment

The TV works again

- added flux around the edges of the SoC and tried to get it under the chip (not sure if this was necessary or had any effect)
            - used kapton tape to protect the nearby components from the heat/air
            - used my Aoyue 850C hot air rework station with the 9mm round nozzle on heat setting 5 and airflow setting 5 for about 1-2 minutes
            Attached Files

Comment

Nice job, thanks for feedback.

Comment

Bare in mind that this is often just a temporary fix so may be worth your while looking for a cheap replacement in the meantime.
                Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Originally posted by dick_barton View Post
                  Bare in mind that this is often just a temporary fix so may be worth your while looking for a cheap replacement in the meantime.
                  +10, might want to try a fan solution to try to keep the chip from overheating.

Comment

Working...
                  X