Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASUS ROG Strix G15 G512LW-HW038 not powering up

Hi,

i would appreciate any help with this Board very much.

Model: ASUS ROG Strix G15 G512LW-HW038
    MB: G532LWS R1.3

History:
    slight waterdamage around U3505 (IT8299E) and PQ8817,
    someone else had a go at cleaning the board and resoldering U3505.
    i replaced 2 resistors (R5707 and R3021) and a few bad looking capacitors in that area.

Behaviour:
    Upon pressing the Power Switch, all voltage rails but +VCCGT come on for about 1 second with a current consumtion of about 1.84A, then the current drops to about 30mA varying for about another 4 seconds, then drops back to <1mA.

32KHZ clock RTC_X1 and RTC_X2 are present,
    24 Mhz is also present at XTAL24_OUT and XTAL24_IN

looking at all kinds of singnals during power on i noticed the following:

1. DDR4_DRAMRST# is at 0.11V, (see scope pictures), Resistance to Ground with no power: 650 Ohms. (this should be ok i guess since it has a 470Ohms pullup to 1.2V which itself has about 200Ohms to Ground)

2. VSUS_ON has some kind of Prepulse which of course produces the same kind of pulse in the dependent voltage rails like +3VA_DSW (again, see scope pictures) Maybe this is completely normal, i do not know.

3. No Communication at SMB_DAT_S, (see pictures) should there be communication already without DDRRESET# being High?

4. No RAM Clock (M_B_CLK_DDR0/1)

Other than that i could not find anything amiss.

Battery is charging properly, Fans do not start at all.

What i did so far:

- inspected the board under the microscope for additional waterdamage / missing or corroded parts
    - Tried different RAM modules (known good ones), without any change.
    - reflashed the bios chip with one from the internet (cleared the ME region first) -> also no change.

I will attach the bios files i used and the Schematic + Board View.

The Oscilloscope pictures always have ALL_SYSTEM_PWRGD as CH1 for reference. The Signal Name shown is included in the name of the Pictures.

i see this primarily as a learning experience and am happy for every piece of Info which could help to bring this board back to life.

Best Regards
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SMDFlea; 04-06-2022, 03:40 PM. Reason: Removed bios,this aint the bios requests section

Re: ASUS ROG Strix G15 G512LW-HW038 not powering up

i tried now for quite some time to read the EC Rom with no success.
    The Tool i use is SVOD V1,
    is anyone here aware if SVOD V1 is capable of reading this EC (IT5125VG-128)?
    The Schematic mentions IT8995VG as the EC in some places, are these compatible?

Best Regards

Comment

I ve got asus G17 with the same board, fans spin for one second , keybord flashes , I can see on thermal camera that GPu and CPU get hot , then everything dies after 5 seconds , no voltages , any suggestions,

thanks for the schematics..

Comment

can you telll me what kind of resistances you got cpu coils , mine seem low 1.7 ohm...

Comment

Start with the usual dcin mosfets.

Power adapter the original and suitable for this board?

Measure the voltages on the source, gate, drain of the 2 x dcin mosfets (PQ8901 & PQ8902).
          Last edited by mon2; 07-23-2022, 04:08 PM.

Comment

thanks for reply

I've got same readings on both mosfets:
            drains, sources 19.5VDC
            gates got 25.4 VDC
            Last edited by arthur_las; 07-24-2022, 09:47 AM.

Comment

The voltages appear to be ok and the high gate voltage means the charger IC wants the mosfets to pass the voltage to the logic board.

Let us confirm the mosfets are not shorted.

Remove all power -> meter in resistance mode.

Then check the resistance across each of the same DCIN mosfets as follows:

source (1-2-3) & drain (5-6-7-8)
              source (1-2-3) & gate (4)
              gate (4) & drain (5-6-7-8)

Post each resistance value and also the scale used on your meter.

If you see '1' or 'OL' on the meter -> switch to a higher resistance scale till you have a proper measurement. A low resistance = defective mosfet.

Comment

the charger is 180W it is written that is compatible with ASUS laptops but it is not genuine one

sometimes laptop tries to start sometimes not when it does I'm going to try to measure all the voltages now I've got nothing...

Comment

I've checked it already in diode mode for a short , resistances are within 2.5- 6 Mohm, between gate source and drain on both mosfets all various possibilities...

I couldn't find any hot spot, any shorts on the board, only GPU and CPU do get warm evenly to 50-60 degrees then everything stops...

thanks

Comment

The low CPU coil resistance @ 1R7 is of concern but wait on other comments.

Have you reflashed the BIOS ? Archive the original contents and attempt to reflash the bios to see if that helps.

Comment

so finally some shorts appeared on 1V rail and 1.8 V rail, maybe i was trying too many times to power up... checking now relevant ics

Comment

Post your resistance readings but as always, no power when checking resistance.

The low voltage rails may be ok with a low resistance but post the readings.

Comment

Originally posted by Rotter View Post
                          i tried now for quite some time to read the EC Rom with no success.
                          The Tool i use is SVOD V1,
                          is anyone here aware if SVOD V1 is capable of reading this EC (IT5125VG-128)?
                          The Schematic mentions IT8995VG as the EC in some places, are these compatible?

Best Regards
                          I'm actually looking for a programmer that might support the IT5125, the one I have gotten closer is the ELNEC series as it shown in this list.

https://www.elnec.com/sw/dev_html/it...._inc._dev.htm

Now that you mention the EC IT8995, I just checked some random pins and yes the pines declares as EC IT8995, has the exact same connection as the IT5125 shows on the schematic.

Comment

Please let me know, if you where able to read and write the EC bios with SVOD, since I'm looking forward to buy a programmer that gets the job done.

Comment

Originally posted by elvid018 View Post
                              I'm actually looking for a programmer that might support the IT5125, the one I have gotten closer is the ELNEC series as it shown in this list.

https://www.elnec.com/sw/dev_html/it...._inc._dev.htm

Now that you mention the EC IT8995, I just checked some random pins and yes the pines declares as EC IT8995, has the exact same connection as the IT5125 shows on the schematic.
                              Actually those readings do not necessarily means that you have a short, it is normal to measure really low impedance on CPU and GPU power rails. If you still need help let me know...

Comment

Working...
                              X