Dell Precision M6600 graphics issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Precision M6600 graphics issue

This has been in my project pile for a while. I’ve tried loading windows 7 on this and when I do, the display seems normal until I fully boot into windows, then I get the playschool my first computer graphics. I’ve tried swapping out the graphics card and the results are the same. I’ve tried different display drivers and it doesn’t really seem to like anything I’ve tried. If anyone has any ideas I could use a shove in the right direction.

Last edited by litsnsirn; 07-31-2022, 08:39 PM. Reason: Add image

Re: Dell Precision M6600 graphics issue

You do not have a valid device driver installed for your Windows OS and this graphics adapter IC.

Download the proper one from here:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en...-m6600/drivers

Select your target OS and install it.

If you right mouse click on the desktop you will probably see the screen settings to be in 16 colors.

Only after installing a valid device driver will the features of the hardware be applied to kick up the resolution and color depth.

Comment

I believe that I have loaded all the drivers that I can find, the one for the integrated graphics shows a problem.

Comment

It looks to me like the Nvidia driver is installed correctly but I still can’t get out of the 16 color graphics and no resolution.

Comment

Change the monitor type to higher than vga. Test again.

Is this the latest driver for your video chipset?

See if Nvidia has anything more current. Even better if they can auto detect the chipset using their tools.

Wait...you have 2 video outputs.

One is intel and the other is Nvidia.

Check the driver for each.
          Last edited by mon2; 08-02-2022, 05:10 PM.

Comment

There’s no choice to change the monitor to anything else.

I did find a slightly newer intel driver, I uninstalled the old one and installed the new one, but the end result is the same. The k3100m driver was installed with nvidia tools. In the device manager, the intel driver says that resources are not available.

Comment

Go-to Device Manager -> Display Adapters -> select the '+' to expand this hardware tree.

Share a pic of this screen.

Wish to confirm which drivers are installed on this box.

If the drivers are installed correctly, the labels will change for each video card.

If the driver is not installed, the label will be 'Standard VGA'.

Reference:
              https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/e...on-guide#Three

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...64&postcount=3
                OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Comment

Check to see if you have a more current bios available from the vendor. Do not use from any other website.

Also, check and install the latest chipset drivers.

The error code 12 has to be resolved. This is a function of the bios to grant enough resources to enable the hardware.

Comment

BIOS is version A18 and I downloaded it directly from Dell. The chipset drivers are from Dell too, with the exception of a couple that I let Windows Update do it's thing to. I can't see anything in the Device Manager that is either missing a driver or had a broken driver, besides the video adapters.

This laptop came with the base model AMD video adapter but it puked while one of the kids was using this laptop and the K3100M came from my pile of spares, and I've tried three different K3100's from my stash and they all act the same. The K3100's were working pulls.

Comment

Working...
                      X