X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

ignore. double post see below.
    Last edited by ratdude747; 09-20-2009, 11:21 PM.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

wow. i bet its too light to be a paperweight. that thing is only good for wire and a spare fan. and laughs. and sweet looking ac plug-im digging the blue. but thats all that looks good. the rest is trash.

btw, its labled demon because the effect on your computer is evil.
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Allow me to add a pic.
        How cheap can a ps maker be? This is scary junk.
        Itty-bitty caps. Four tiny diodes for rectification. Two diodes stuck together and screwed to the heatsink.
        The leg of what's left of something that blew apart on that burned spot.
        Attached Files

Comment

oo! wow! I'm impressed! Look at the wire on the input filter coil! And those diodes! The part that blew was probably the current inrush limiter - I had one blow once. I replaced it with one of these: http://www.goldmine-elec-products.co...?number=G14789
          I hope you didn't pay too much for that...

Comment

...and the crusty caps...
            I saw the tiny wire on that coil too. Wowsers.

I paid nothing. I pulled this one out of a dead computer. Fortunately the computer works fine with a good and proper ps.

Comment

Delta DPS-700FB-1 A

4 12v rails, 3 at 18A, 1 at 16A. 5v 24A, 3.3v 24A. Combined 50A for 12v.

Overall view of the bottom PCB. Mostly just the input filter, with one of the biggest input filter coil's I have seen right next to the bridge rectifier there, with an equally huge PFC coil and the PFC heatsink, and a giant UCC primary cap.

Overall view of the top. Huge transformer, with the primary heatsink. The secondary heatsink runs the entire length of the PCB with 8 TO-247 schottky diodes, but I will get into that next. Something interesting about those. All the caps consist of UCC or Nichicon. Interestingly, there is 12V sense on this coming from the 8pin cpu connector.

Here is 4 of the 8 secondary's. These four are for the 5v and 3.3v. All 4 are 30A, 45V parts. two for the 5v, 2 for the 3.3v.

Now here is the interesting part. Remember what I said about the 50A 12v rail? Well, here are the schottky's for the 12v. They are 4 40v, 100A for a combined capacity of 400A. Wow. Talk about being overbuilt.
              Attached Files

Comment

i like delta.

Comment

Another Hypermicro $20 unit ??
                  veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty
                    Another Hypermicro $20 unit ??

Can't remember who, but they are about $40 or so.

Comment

Hi All,
                      I'm newbie. I'd like to join my PSU pictures here.
                      It's ZALMAN ZM300A-APF (the PCB show FSP300-60PLN),
                      all caps are TEAPO but I've changed some caps on +12V rails and +5V rails to Sanyo WX series.
                      Did I made better or worst?

Attached Files
                      Last edited by POM_MJ; 09-25-2009, 12:22 AM.
                      | AMD Phenom II X2 550BE | GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5P | GeIL DDR3 Ultra 2x2GB 1600C7 |
                      | XFX GTS250 DDR3 512MB | Dell H525EF-00 | Lancool PC-K62 Black | Samsung 2232GW |
                      | 2xWD7500AYYS | 2xHD322GJ Raid0 |

Comment

Nice design on Delta PSU you got.

That FSP 300W unit is average, recap all with good caps and it is good for older machines.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

>>Can't remember who, but they are about $40 or so.<<

Hypermicro *cough* had 1 left...

$27 w/ship
                          veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty
                            >>Can't remember who, but they are about $40 or so.<<

Hypermicro *cough* had 1 left...

$27 w/ship
                            I got one from here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-Gateway-De...3286.m20.l1116

He has 400 some left, and took a best offer of $40, but these ones have unsleeved cables and more connectors, the one I pictured is no longer on ebay, and has all sleeved cables with less connectors.

Comment

Here we have an Apieva/Aspire PS500CLA 500W
                              This was powering my old P4 system for a couple years. Had to retire it because one of the molex chains stopped getting 12volts....and now I find that it has a leaker on the 5vsb rail

Here's an overall shot - yes, it's in an acrylic/aluminum case. This was back in the day when bling bling was more important to me than quality

Here's the sticker - Not as much lying as some PSUs, the 3.3 and 5v rails each have a 30A diode, and the 12v has a 16A diode. And the secondary heatsink is gigantic, and has a fan blowing right on it. The 'Thermal Control' is a knob on the back that lets you adjust the speed of the exhaust fan

Here's the input side - all caps in the unit are JEE. Input filter isn't too bad, there's an X cap, 2 Y caps, and a coil on the board, plus another coil, X cap and maybe Y caps on a board by the mains plug (it's heatshrunk though, so I can't see what's actually there). Missing the MOV though, and is has the lame 4 diode treatment. Input caps are only 470uF, and the primary transistors are probably a little small, but the diodes will fry long before the transistors blow, I would guess.

Here's the output side. The big black thing is the previously mentioned heatshrunk input filter. I can't take the board out and look at the bottom, or get better pictures, because this thing is so freaking huge and won't come out in one piece. Anyway, the output filtering isn't too bad. The 5vsb, 3.3v, and 5v lines have full PI filters, and the 12v, -5v and -12v lines have L type filters (one coil and one cap). All the wiring is 18AWG and sleeved up to the first connector.

Doesn't look too badly built - it's the old heavy 5/3.3 ATX spec though, so it's usefulness is declining...The fans are LED fans and are made by "Te Bao Metallic Plastic Co. Ltd." The transformer looks to be decently sized, so maybe someday if I'm feeling brave (and can figure out how to get this stupid thing apart) I'll try swapping it for the one in my logisys
                              Attached Files

Comment

DELL HP-P2507F3CP: I can't remember where I found it.

It looks decent, there is the passive PFC inductor. The only thing wrong with this PSU are the output caps: they are Arcon L.Z. and some are leaking and bulged.
                                Input caps are good Panasonic.

Ciao
                                Gianni
                                Attached Files
                                "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins...Not through strength, but through persistence."
                                H. J. Brown

Comment

Bestec ATX-250-12Z Rev C: replaced with a Allied 350W ( ) because the PC was not able to boot.

Even if Bestec has a bad reputation, this one looks better than the Allied I gave as replacement: primary controller is UC3842B, stand by is an integrated switcher (A6351A) and there is the passive PFC inductor.
                                  Most Jamicon series TK on secondaries are leaking and bulged, input caps are good Chemi-Con.

Ciao
                                  Gianni
                                  Attached Files
                                  "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins...Not through strength, but through persistence."
                                  H. J. Brown

Comment

Originally posted by etnietering
                                    Here we have an Apieva/Aspire PS500CLA 500W
                                    This was powering my old P4 system for a couple years. Had to retire it because one of the molex chains stopped getting 12volts....and now I find that it has a leaker on the 5vsb rail

Doesn't look too badly built - it's the old heavy 5/3.3 ATX spec though, so it's usefulness is declining...The fans are LED fans and are made by "Te Bao Metallic Plastic Co. Ltd." The transformer looks to be decently sized, so maybe someday if I'm feeling brave (and can figure out how to get this stupid thing apart) I'll try swapping it for the one in my logisys
                                    Looks like one of the old leadman lp-6100D's with a red pcb.

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife
                                      Looks like one of the old leadman lp-6100D's with a red pcb.
                                      A little bit (probably because of the heatsinks), but it's not (uses 2 N-channel transistors rather than a single Mosfet).
                                      But then there's the '7700' writing on the main transformer and Te Bao Metallic Plastic fan... Sun Pro anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by momaka
                                        A little bit (probably because of the heatsinks), but it's not (uses 2 N-channel transistors rather than a single Mosfet).
                                        But then there's the '7700' writing on the main transformer and Te Bao Metallic Plastic fan... Sun Pro anyone?

Might be a leadman lp-7700 then. Wouldn't suprise me with sunpro being owned by leadman.

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife
                                          Might be a leadman lp-7700 then. Wouldn't suprise me with sunpro being owned by leadman.
                                          I do believe it is. The heatsinks are exactly the same, just different color, same imitation rubycon JEE caps on the secondary, but a different transient filter. Either a sunpro variant or a lp-7700.

Comment

Working...
                                          X