MacBook Pro 15" 2017 A1707 Touchbar No power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MacBook Pro 15" 2017 A1707 Touchbar No power

@openminded - on your circuit board will be an etched number like 820-xxxx format.

Would you please share those details so I can retrieve the exact schematic?

Personally working on a 820-00928 that was brought in to our shop in the last hour. It is the day of the cursed A1707 models

Comment

There are 2 surface mount fuses on the A1707 (assuming you have the 820-00928 logic board - have the same one in the shop now).

F3000

and

F3001

Please see attached and check the voltage on each leg of this 2 legged part.

Do this very carefully as you will need to plug in your external adapter onto the USB connections.

Do you see any voltage on this fuse? Post your results.
      Attached Files

Comment

hi, I have the 820-00281-A.
        Yeah seems a lot of those go bunkers .

The boardview and schematics I use are attached.

I was actually using the other side of the board, so FB200, that's where in the beginning I had 20V and now only 5.1 (because of one of the USB chips I understand).

I connected the power connector on the F3000/F3001 side, readings:
        - F3000 - 0V
        - F3001 - 5V

When I connect power on the FB201 side I get 5V on that and nothing on the other side.

Does that mean an issue with the 5V rail ?
        Attached Files

Comment

P.S. I measured the fuses, they are good, so I got the same readings on both sides

Comment

Confirm that F3000 is receiving the +5volts.

Then confirm that Q3100 is turning on and producing this voltage onto the PPDCIN_G3H @ +5 volts.

Here is an excellent webpage that discusses about the CD3215 controllers and how they operate.

The SMC (power controller management chip) pings each CD3215 and negotiates the escalation of the power delivery to 20V once all is well.

https://www.logi.wiki/index.php/CD3215_Bootup_Sequence
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
              Confirm that F3000 is receiving the +5volts.

Then confirm that Q3100 is turning on and producing this voltage onto the PPDCIN_G3H @ +5 volts.

Here is an excellent webpage that discusses about the CD3215 controllers and how they operate.

The SMC (power controller management chip) pings each CD3215 and negotiates the escalation of the power delivery to 20V once all is well.

hi, thanks. current problem is F3000 does not get 5V. could feed it with a power supply to test? will research further tonight and update, thanks.
              How is your board coming along ?

Comment

Find the side that does receive the power in from your adapter. Confirm it is present on the fuse and continue to trace it to the mosfet (it acts like a solid state, not moving, relay). Then check that the mosfet has the same voltage on the source pin (input) and also on the drain (output).

Post your results.

My a1707 is 99% related to a design flaw with Apple. Called flexgate. The flex cable breaks over use of open / close the lid. Need to either replace the display assembly ($$$$$$) or repair the backlight cable. Will attempt this on Monday.

Comment

ah, I read about the flexgate, yeah changing the cable, that sucks and it's not cheap too.
                  I think I don't have that issue, the display was replaced a few years back under warranty.
                  It has liquid damage and before it went bunkers as now, it just had no backlight, then no screen, then no 20V and now it's as is.

I tried to measure the mosfet, but found myself irritated and out of energy.
                  Should that 0 Ohm resistor go back or is there a straigh forward way to find the short?

I don't have a microscope and it becomes cumbersome to work in this board.
                  I'm gonna try and find the energy to try again this week. Problem is I'm just starting and everytime I get into it I have to sleep and some point and then I lose the flow.

Thanks for all the help and tips are still welcome, I'm hoping to get some steps to get through this, I can't imagine major parts are faulty. just lacking experience on how to find shorts and such...
                  cheers

Comment

hi. Do not work on this or any repair when tired. The issues will just compound and will turn into a larger mess. Been there, done that and have a case that is similar. Still on our workload to fix. I have lost sleep over this cursed A1706 in the shop - we are determined to fix it. These days we can usually diagnose and repair a board in an hour or so but there are some really tough ones.

When relaxed, can you try the following?

Place the 0 ohm resistor back for now.

1) remove all power to your board

2) place your meter in DIODE mode

3) Red probe (yes RED probe) to any ground shield

4) Black probe onto the CC1 line of one of the CD3215 devices. What is the reading?

5) Repeat with black probe on the CC2 line of the same CD3215 device. What is the reading?

6) Now move to the next CD3215 device and post the DIODE readings for CC1 and CC2 lines on this CD3215 device.

Just remember, no power to the board when you are performing these DIODE readings with your meter.

This logic board works with USB PD (power delivery). The power delivery hand shake is a fancy way of the CD3215 PD controller chatting with the outside PD capable power adapter. The CC1 & CC2 lines are used for this communication using BMC scheme. Only if the CC1 & CC2 lines are operating correctly, then the external power adapter will send back a packet of data when requested which announces 'I am a power adapter and can offer the follow contracts of volts & amps including xx Volts @ yy A, etc.'

For example,

5V @ 2A
                    9V @ 3A
                    12V @ 3A
                    20V @ 3A = 60W adapter with PD support

(not actually sure of the contract values but are similar in format)

This table of contracts are then read into the logic board and the CD3215 will then select, 'I will take 20V @ 3A, etc.' from you - please enable this rail.

The diode readings may reveal that one or both of the CD3215 have CC1/CC2 port pins are defective which may explain why the voltage rail remains static @ 5v. The 5v is a default power on voltage rail.

Unless both CD3215 devices are functioning, the logic board will not invoke the 20V rail (which is actually from your external power adapter) using the power delivery handshake.

The link shared by @Piernov earlier on is an excellent webpage to review the multiple steps taken by the boot process before the 20V appears on your board.

Please post your diode readings when you can.

Comment

Posting the link again for the boot sequence of the logic board to enable the 20V rail:

Comment

Sorry Just got back to this thread lol I have so many boards that I put this one to the side. I will be jumping on this board most likely this week.
                        sigpic
                        MEOWING IN THE IMPOSSIBLE UNIVERSE!

Comment

hi,

Thanks, I'm looking forward to your updates .
                          I also got some time and looked at the video at logi.wiki.
                          Based on that I started from 5V on FB200 - then to PP3V3 rail for that source:
                          based on https://logi.wiki/index.php/CD3215_Bootup_Sequence
                          on this board it is PP3V3_UPC_TA_LDO - I only measure 1.5 V there.

Then as suggested in the video I measured the voltage on CB308 pin 1 and I get 1.5 V so I think this means the UB300 CD3215 is faulty?

I have to order the chip and try to replace it, or shall I inject 3.3V on the test point and see how far it goes?
                          I'm also awaiting the USB power meter for on the charger, once I have stuff in I can continue.

Thanks for the support and love to hear some feedback on the above. And thanks to Chris and Piernov for supplying all this information. Great community!

Comment

Wait for the proper replacement part. The logic board has to properly communicate over the I2C bus to each working CD3215.

You can source the CD3215 from AliExpress or locally from mobilesentrix.ca - they ship from Canada and also the US at very competitive rates to China.

Comment

thanks for the update. so you think that CD3215 is borked? I have CD3215C007... does it matter if they are the same or can it be any?
                              I'm based in Sweden currently, I usually use eBay or AliExpress, unfortunately very slow, still waiting for a voltage chip since weeks for a Lenovo too.

I actually also got me that analyser because you suggested it, but it's also 'underway' .
                              I'll update when I got news.

This video was very helpful:
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fEQ...ature=emb_logo
                              it seems Piernov has done a lot of the work to get the logic schemes that they show there. Really nice.
                              I hope I'll be able to get the chip on and off, any tips? 400 Celcius? need to reball?

Comment

I reballed my chips. Just know there is 4 of these. Pain in the ass
                                sigpic
                                MEOWING IN THE IMPOSSIBLE UNIVERSE!

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                                  I reballed my chips. Just know there is 4 of these. Pain in the ass
                                  absolutely horrible indeed. I replaced all CD3215 s and sill only have 5V. 3 ports show about 300 mA, one about 160 mA.
                                  I have no idea what to do.
                                  Feels like these manufacturers should just be sued for making it hard to take them off with 480 degrees Celcius.

The soldering is a nightmare for a beginner, some parts came of and I think I still miss a capacitor.
                                  kind of impossible to find it and to put it back although trying.

Does anyone know how one could proceed? The direction of a cap matters right? This is a hobby but I am getting so tired of it I might just buy another board and sell this one. It just takes too much time.

Still happy to hear any advice... thank you

Comment

another update. replaced last cd3215 and then all cd3215s are showing 5.2v and about 20 mA.
                                    Also none loop ( boot ).
                                    Also found:

https://repair.wiki/w/Charger_stuck_...nstead_of_20_V

Very useful!
                                    Started to measure and found one cd3215 (ub400) does not have the LDO 1.1v . There it says it might be the cause of no booting either.
                                    No short on the LDO ( CB404 ).

It says main CD3215 may be problem that is connected to SPI.
                                    Can't imagine one is still dead, but which is the one connected to SPI rom?

[update]
                                    well I'll be. SPI rom seems to be U3906.
                                    Closest on that side is U3100.
                                    I thought to measure that but it seems dead now.
                                    Bloody board ! no more CD3215 spares, end of project until I get new ones.

Anyone had this before, am I missing something else?
                                    Thanks
                                    Last edited by openminded; 12-15-2021, 12:32 PM.

Comment

A1707 is about power delivery.

Power delivery (PD) lines are the CCx lines on the USB Type C connectors.

Check the diode readings for the:

CCx lines
                                      D+ / D- lines

(Meter in diode mode. Red meter (yes, RED) to ground. Black to point to test).

Most of the boardview files offer DIODE reading values of a known good board. Compare your values against the reference values.

Comment

if only it would deliver power.
                                        I read : https://repair.wiki/w/Charger_stuck_...nstead_of_20_V a few times and also noticed that my UB400 does not have 1.1V on the LDO.
                                        There is no short either.

I am sick and tired of changing CD3215s by now, did it like 6 times.
                                        This is a hobby and it can cost, but it is no fun.

I found something else that hopefully rings a bell for someone: 2 of my 4 ports work ( usb voltage meter 5.2 V ) when the USB-c cable of the charger is plugged in either way, the other 2 only work if the cable is turned one way and not the other.
                                        I changed the cable and the power board looks good, so I wonder if this is something that can be explained?
                                        The ones that work both ways draw 270 mA, the ones that work one way about 0.015.

At this moment I am losing the motivation a bit to be honest.
                                        I understand from the repair wiki that if LDO 1.1 is not short and no voltage, it is the CD3215. I have tried to replace them all by now, some more than once, so either they are DOA, or I frie them or whatever else I do not understand.
                                        So I'm stuck.

Comment

adding:
                                          u3100 - no PP1V1 ( but 1.8 and 3.3 LDO ok ) no short on the rail, but 1.8 on PP3V3_G3H - no short measured on either 1.1 or G3H
                                          U3200 - no 3.3 ( PP3V3_G3H - no short ) but has PP1V1 and 1.8
                                          UB400 now 2.6 on 3.3V LDO and most others nothing. no shorts on any caps.
                                          So now I have PP3V3_G3H issues but no apparent short...

Comment

Working...
                                          X