X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TBOR = BAD [Philips DVP642 DVD/DIVX Player]

Bulging cap found on Power Supply board:
    C136: TBOR 1000uF 10V 105°C

Replaced with a generic 25V worked just fine.

Comment

Re: List of Bad Cap Manufacturers

"SEC" brand, from China. Used in security cameras my previous company made (Videology), almost all blew up. 220uF @50V 85C IIRC. And I checked, no overvoltage condition involved. Tested a bunch connected to a power supply at about 47V, some started exploding after an hour and a half.

Comment

Originally posted by -HoNY-
        Hi there. What do you mean about "Elite"?
        http://www.chinsan.co.th/index_th.asp

HP L1820 LCD is full of them... most of those "Elite" caps failed (LCD turning off after a few seconds)
        works fine again after a recap..

anyways...

found this shorted cheap-ass cap in a PSU

and lots of failed "D.S." caps in a DVD Player (set top box.. not PC drive)

usual fulltec crap

failed JunFu (ATX PSU)

whatever this is... about 200uF remaining -> failed

failed Nichicon HM series (the only Nichis i had problems with)
        notice the upper one slightly bulging..

Comment

[QUOTE=Sparky]I have a 2200uF 16V cap here labeled TEC. Anyone know about this cap whether it is good or bad? I'm guessing bad but I don't want to toss it if it is decent ...

Did anyone make a call of god or bad on these? I have a number pulled from boards scrapped due to other failures or damage.

Thanks

Comment

Has anyone heard good or bad about "En" branded cap. Might be E then "pi". Ran across them on an AB-BX6 PII Board. 1000uf 10V (blk/gold letter) and 100uf 16V (blk/ silver letter). The board works and none appear to be bad. It does have 5 Sanyo 1500uf 10V caps near cpu slot.

Comment

Has anyone ever seen a bad Xicon Cap ? I just replaced a couple of Teapo caps with these (nobody probably even heard of them ). They are a lime green with black letters on them . Oh well , at least they looked good on the inverter board and the LCD is working still.Time will tell I guess.
              I am pretty good at keeping a secret,it's the people I tell that can't keep their mouth shut!

Comment

Originally posted by CudaDave70
                Has anyone ever seen a bad Xicon Cap ? I just replaced a couple of Teapo caps with these (nobody probably even heard of them ). They are a lime green with black letters on them . Oh well , at least they looked good on the inverter board and the LCD is working still.Time will tell I guess.
                Xicon? I had some and didn't know anything wrong... Still, I'd be careful.

Random smilies.

Comment

I know canicon caps are bad. I recieved a Tyan tiger 133 in the mail that had 4 bad caps on it. I got a refund (but they told me to keep the board because they said it was worth 2$) What pisses me off even more is out of 14 8mmx15mm 1000uf 6.3 v caps, half were good sanyo caps, half were canicon crappy caps.it was a good brand board with nice specs (2 slot 1 sockets, 4 sdram slots) only to be ruined by lousy crap caps. hopefully re capping will save it.

I guess even good brands screw up
                  sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by CudaDave70
                    As far as I know Xicon are good caps but they don't make any (or didn't used to) suitable for use on motherboards. The ESR isn't low enough. Company is "Xicon Passive Components". They are a US company out of Texas.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
                    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                    -

Comment

I think Ratshack still carries Xicons. Mouser carries them as well.

The sky blue ones are 85 C rated and the radioactive green ones are 105 C. I have never seen one that I installed go bad yet.

However I have only used their general purpose caps on a bunch of TVs and linear wall warts.

I am strictly a Panasonic, Chemicon, and Nichicon guy now.
                      Last edited by Krankshaft; 12-01-2008, 09:06 PM.
                      Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

If I overlooked the posting on these, sorry. Currently offered on eBay.

Rudeycon...yep, that's the name .

I mistook them for Rubys at first glance but something struck me as odd. Then I realized that the series was KYA (???) and the lettering looked weird.

I would post his photo but I don't know if that would be kosher, it looks to be stock shot though.

Cheers all,
                        Bill

Comment

Originally posted by DixiePenguin

I mistook them for Rubys at first glance but something struck me as odd. Then I realized that the series was KYA (???) and the lettering looked weird.

I would post his photo but I don't know if that would be kosher, it looks to be stock shot though.

Cheers all,
                          Bill
                          just post the link to the item.

Comment

you should add evercon to this list. I just got done reccaping a no-name board coverd in them. one had white crap on the cap (no bulging, though). it crashed somtimes and overheted frequently (no overclocking)
                            sigpic

Comment

GSC => Evercon => Sacon
                              They keep changing their name but not their address and phone number.

-
                              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                              -

Comment

it was a jetway board.for now,i recapped the failing caps with some ones off a dead board (a few tayeh, some g-cap) they came off another board. im trying to see if the board runs with new caps. i tested the replacement caps. if the board stabilises, then ill replace all caps with brand new rubycons or some other good brand

is g-cap a bad brand?
                                sigpic

Comment

add decon (rat killer?) caps to the list.
                                  just replaced about 30 of them on the signal board on an akai lcd hdtv.
                                  replaced about 15 on its megmeet power supply too.

Comment

good news

the transplanted caps seem to be working

i know that you're not supposed to use used caps like that

but its what i had on hand- now time to buy new caps to be safe
                                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DixiePenguin

Cheers all,
                                      Bill

Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/12PCS-470uF-16v-LOW-ESR-Motherboard-capacitor_W0QQitemZ180307151599QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Electronic_Components?hash=item180307151599&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Outfit is "Modern-Life2008" out of Hong Kong.

Have you noticed how many new sellers are offering crap caps on eBay? And asking premium prices for them in some cases.

Bill

Comment

That's the same seller I sent me counterfeit Sanyo WG.
                                        Sent samples to Sanyo, they confirmed them as counterfeits.
                                        He then wiped the word "Sanyo" off the caps and continued selling them.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                        -
                                        -

Comment

These are the ones that used to be marked Sanyo.
                                          http://cgi.ebay.com/20PCS-2200uF-16v...mZ180307153061

Operates on eBay under another name too.
                                          Similar to Modern-Life2008 but I've forgotten exactly what it is.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                          -
                                          -

Comment

Working...
                                          X