Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HMMM....What could this be.... ;) TC's first X8DAi Build!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HMMM....What could this be....

Originally posted by thesloc View Post
    No SSD = fail

unless you have an INCREDIBLE amount of money, SSD's don't have near a good price/GB ratio of regular HD's.

you can buy a 1TB HD for $69, or a 1TB SSD for $1400+

you could also, in this case, get like 4 256M SSD's and set them up in raid 0 for like 1G
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
      Are you serious?! SSD with critical data = fail. I'll stay with my spinners.
      Yeah, true, but what about speed/access? As far as back up goes, I guess the next logical step is the Cloud...

Although it can become in a PITA to restore spinners (or $$ if the damage is really bad)

Comment

Originally posted by thesloc View Post
        Yeah, true, but what about speed/access? As far as back up goes, I guess the next logical step is the Cloud...

Although it can become in a PITA to restore spinners (or $$ if the damage is really bad)
        I backup my stuff on multiple local RAID1's. It would take a quadruple failure or more for me to actually lose data. Site stuff is backed up in a similar fashion, some on-site, some off-site. I never did jump on the SSD bandwagon. When a SSD fails, recovering data is impossible. A trusty old spinner, unless the head grinds the platter into dust, you can usually get your stuff before it completely dies. The raptors are pretty snappy....
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Well in that case you might also want to make BD-R back-ups.

Comment

Agreed that good old spinners can't be beat... I love my old 2006 era 74GB 10K raptors (although 1 has 26 bad sectors ). IF I tried to SSD it, it would be $$$ for 4 drives and it would be less relaible (my controller is also SATA150)

My 9500-S may need a battery... it occasionally gives a fail status on the BBU upon bootup. It has the original battery too...
            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

In case you guys haven't noticed, thesloc is just a massive troll. He knows everyone's points of views on most things and what buttons to push. Best to just ignore him.

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife View Post
                In case you guys haven't noticed, thesloc is just a massive troll. He knows everyone's points of views on most things and what buttons to push. Best to just ignore him.
                You are absolutely correct.
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

Just a little point to make note of....When I replaced the battery and got it charged/tested/etc, I noticed the system was performing like crap. Drive access was miserably slow, and I really thought a RAID was dying. In the process of checking the SMART data via the controller software, I noticed that all the settings for both arrays were set to the most failsafe/conservative modes. Write caching disabled. I guess when the battery dies, it does this automatically to potentially avert dataloss....but boy does it make the system perform like poo. I put everything back where it needed to be, and YAY!! My system came back to life!!
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

Are you serious?! SSD with critical data = fail. I'll stay with my spinners.
                    Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                    Agreed that good old spinners can't be beat...
                    these two know how it works!

Originally posted by 370forlife
                    In case you guys haven't noticed, thesloc is just a massive troll. He knows everyone's points of views on most things and what buttons to push.
                    yep like trying to mock linux in a post about how even ballmer says the surface sucks. where did anybody say linux?
                    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Just a little point to make note of....When I replaced the battery and got it charged/tested/etc, I noticed the system was performing like crap. Drive access was miserably slow, and I really thought a RAID was dying. In the process of checking the SMART data via the controller software, I noticed that all the settings for both arrays were set to the most failsafe/conservative modes. Write caching disabled. I guess when the battery dies, it does this automatically to potentially avert dataloss....but boy does it make the system perform like poo. I put everything back where it needed to be, and YAY!! My system came back to life!!
                      Not quite. Those were probably just the default settings...

My first "real" computer was a 486 DX 33 with an AMI BIOS. When I upgraded to a P200, I made a classic mistake. I merely used the auto-detect for the HDD. I formatted and installed win95. I later realized that LBA would make for better performance. So I changed "CHS/AUTO" to "LBA."

Guess who had to reformat and reinstall?

It was one of those funny "VXTWO" boards and it had a battery connector that liked to be intermittent. I was always paranoid of the BIOS defaulting and giving me boot (in the head) problems. After a year or two of that, I soldered and "adjusted" that battery holder.

Somehow, that system lasted til late 2007, when I junked it.
                      "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                      Originally posted by shango066
                      All style and no substance.
                      Originally posted by smashstuff30
                      guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                      guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
                        Not quite. Those were probably just the default settings...
                        I thought the same thing, but actually its not. Write caching is on by default. it will be disabled by the controller only if the BBU is not present or malfunctioning. You can actually re-enable it again without the BBU working.....but the first time it crashes or loses power while the system was on, it probably won't boot anymore. I had an old adaptec U2 SCSI that would do that.....
                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                        Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by thejerk View Post
                          Go for it, man! After all, since "it's not your data anymore," it'll only be a couple days before you "self-incriminate." You know, as in pull a TrayFaceBookVon.

Make my day, put all your "evidence" in the cloud. It won't be the only thing in the cloud. Like how your head's in "d clouwdz." Specifically, talking about transfer rates/latency and how that pertains to mass storage, but while blathering nonsense about "the cloud," forgets about a nasty little "inconvienence." That would be your Crapcasts, unClears, Veriz0nes, etc. The cloud-this, the cloud-that, all the while your "managed" upload rate is that of a floppy disk. On a good day. Then, there are those customers who are at the end of the line for DSL (damn slow link), and the signal is too weak or has too many reflections (old/sloppy wiring?). Sorry, but "The Clout" (there's lots of it) won't even beat ZIP-100 disks...

Originally posted by thejerk View Post
                          Sure, because mine always go bad on me...

Originally posted by goontron View Post
                          yep like trying to mock linux in a post about how even ballmer says the surface sucks. where did anybody say linux?
                          I don't know what's funnier- that or Mr Thug knocking the "Microshaft Coffee Table," which by the way, is sooo 2010...

His next thread will be how we should all "accept and tolerate" the XBone.
                          "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...

Comment

I love SSDs...

Here you can see my Intel RST software keeping an eye on the array, my WEI scores (back when I just built my computer, that's why the screenshot is a different window theme color than now, but the benchmarks are still the same). Also see a benchmark I just took while streaming Netflix, running about a hundred tabs in multiple browsers, and doing other things as well.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by shovenose; 07-28-2013, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                              I love SSDs...
                              you need 10 3TB HDDs to get 28TB RAID how many SSD would it take?
                              Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

you need 10 3TB HDDs to get 28TB RAID how many SSD would it take?
                                Doesn't matter because I can just upload to my servers

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                                  Doesn't matter because I can just upload to my servers
                                  for your servers smart one!

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

for your servers smart one!
                                    Um... I undersell my shared/reseller servers and VPS nodes, so I've got plenty of extra disk space. I could upload all of my data that I own to any one of them.

Comment

I hate server/cloud backups. Too slow to access when you only have a 5Mbps internet connection and a 25GB download cap.

SSDs are great for the OS and software, but not large amounts of data. That all belongs on a pair of mechanical HDDs (either RAID 1, or manually copied/pasted to an external).
                                      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                                        SSDs are great for the OS and software, but not large amounts of data. That all belongs on a pair of mechanical HDDs (either RAID 1, or manually copied/pasted to an external).
                                        the two SSDs i have owned failed within three months of purchase the intel went read-only and the OCZ just dropped dead out of nowhere. no SSD for me thank you!

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                                          I hate server/cloud backups. Too slow to access when you only have a 5Mbps internet connection and a 25GB download cap.

Their stupid, blaring commercials never tell you this! And ClearChannel, "IHeartRadio," etc, wonder why FM broadcast is in the toilet in the US...

A few months ago, carbonite had a bit of a "cloudburst," where so many TB of data "went somewhere." Oh well, ain't the cloud great?

Never mind the fact that any user data uploaded is scanned through to determine the users' "interests and habits," in the name of advertising, of course...

Sorry, "the cloud" can snow for all I care.
                                          "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...

Comment

Working...
                                          X