BigPond signup irony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BigPond signup irony

A client of mine is going to sign up with Telstra BigPond. But apparently, you can only sign up if you have an internet connection, which the client does not have.
    I tend to find this quite ironic.
    Do you know of any other ISPs which require you to sign up online?
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: BigPond signup irony

Originally posted by japlytic
    Do you know of any other ISPs which require you to sign up online?
    No.....BUT.... Embarq/centurylink here urges you to logon to their website for internet technical support if your internet connection isn't working. They preach this while you're waiting on hold for a representative.... Brilliance! If I could logon to their support site, I wouldn't need support in the first place....idiots.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Couldn't he use some other persons PC that has an internet conection to sign up for this Big Pond ISP? After he signs up he can go back to his PC and use the Big Pond ISP. I know you don't want to hear this next one but...LOL He could also load AOL on his PC then use a trusted friends screen name and password to do his sign up with Big Pond. I'm not awake yet so I could be full of crap on this.....
      "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
      Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
      John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
      Rod Serling

Comment

Originally posted by japlytic
        A client of mine is going to sign up with Telstra BigPond.
        Why Telstra/Bigpond? They are the worst provider in the Australia. They have the worst support (They won't help you unless you use the router they supplied you with and they can hardly speak english) and they are the most expensive.
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Yes, I agree with c_hegge. Bigpond is the shittiest provide in Australia! Expensive pricing and crap service overall...

I hate it when they play the monopoly in newer areas of homes where they are the ONLY company available in the area because Optus lines aren't in yet!

I'm with TPG ADSL2+... Australia's #1 ISP of '08 and '09.

I'm very happy with their pricing, service and overall performance.
          Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Personally, I like Westnet. They may not be quite as cheap as TPG, but you don't get overseas call centres who can hardly speak english.
            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

The closest to this idiocy that I have heard of happened to my brother. He was using one of the local ISP's; one day his email stopped working. he called me up, asking for advice. I go online to his ISP's site, and sure enough, they had a notice that they would be changing the email configuration. This would result in the subscribers getting new email addresses. Their customers would be informed of their new email address. So I suggested he call tech support for assistance.

He emailed me back an hour later. He finally got through to tech support; they were very perplexed by the uproar. The had sent out instructions for the change well before shutting down the old email servers. The instructions were sent to the new email address.

PlainBill
              For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill
                The closest to this idiocy that I have heard of happened to my brother. He was using one of the local ISP's; one day his email stopped working. he called me up, asking for advice. I go online to his ISP's site, and sure enough, they had a notice that they would be changing the email configuration. This would result in the subscribers getting new email addresses. Their customers would be informed of their new email address. So I suggested he call tech support for assistance.

He emailed me back an hour later. He finally got through to tech support; they were very perplexed by the uproar. The had sent out instructions for the change well before shutting down the old email servers. The instructions were sent to the new email address.

PlainBill
                pretty stupid...
                kinda like password reset systems requireing old passwords... kinda defeats the purpose when you think about it...
                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                  No.....BUT.... Embarq/centurylink here urges you to logon to their website for internet technical support if your internet connection isn't working. They preach this while you're waiting on hold for a representative.... Brilliance! If I could logon to their support site, I wouldn't need support in the first place....idiots.
                  Time Warner cable here is about the same.. One thing i can say is at least when you do get to talk to someone, they are not complete idiots..

now verizon on the other hard are. I remember calling up once because the internet would go out every time that it rained. their response to why it only when out when it rained was because my cord from the wall to the DSL modem was too long.. Im still trying to figure out that one.. Sad part is that not only did one person tell me that, I got the same answer from about 10 different people!!! Then one day we had a storm. The neighbor 4 houses down did not loose internet connection, but i did. I called them up and was told to call them back later if it does not come back up in another day. Evidently 1 day without service is not enough time for them to worry about fixing anything.. Needless to say, i got tired of trying then to fix anything and dropped them..

Comment

add frontier communications to the list.

my old house's landline is with them.

our phone service went dead last night.

calling customer service... select "no dial tone"... they ask if this is the phone number affected- uhh... we have no dial tone, duh! how in the heck can we be calling from it?

and then they have the nerve to ask if we want them to call the landline if they have problems... duh x2!

and i thought verizon was bad... heck, even the computer voice had an asian accent... glad we don't have them at the new house...
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                      heck, even the computer voice had an asian accent...
                      Are you saying that's a bad thing or a good thing?
                      Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by kaniki View Post
                        Time Warner cable here is about the same.. One thing i can say is at least when you do get to talk to someone, they are not complete idiots..
                        Not bashing all bright house, but the techs i speak with on the phone and in person dont seem to have the slightest clue....

if your on brighthouse (probably only CFL area, but who knows) then your connected to thier 10.0.0.0/8 private network that becomes routable over the internet.... figured this lovely "feature" out while deploying a private 10 network.

Anywho, i gave up calling becasue i am hung up on or run through the troublehooting script, power cycle blah blah.. So when ever i see i BH tech i pick thier brains a little trying to find out more info, most times im told to call in at 1800 number

i tracert 10.0.0.2 half way accross the country, (from FL to TX), with public address hops in between some of these you can connect HTTP and it obvisouly cable modem because it brings to you status page of cable modem.

Comment

Originally posted by stevo1210 View Post
                          Are you saying that's a bad thing or a good thing?
                          lol guess it depends if its a guy or girl

lol poor us asian guys

Comment

it was in a bad way as it hwas hard to understand. it was a chinese accent... i can understand tech but the computer? it is a usa only call center...
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X