NetMon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NetMon

Hello, i just finally got a job, at a isp however i would really like to brush up and learn about networking specifically how netmon works and some of the linux commands and daemons that would go with it, if theres any good material i could study or learn i would really appreciate it.
    My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Re: NetMon

Originally posted by BigTroll View Post
    Hello, i just finally got a job, at a isp however i would really like to brush up and learn about networking specifically how netmon works and some of the linux commands and daemons that would go with it, if theres any good material i could study or learn i would really appreciate it.
    Can't help you with netmon since most of the troubleshooting tools I used are windows based like (ethereal, wireshark), but I found/find TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1: The Protocols by W. Richard Stevens to be invaluable.

You are also likely to be using Cisco infrastructure, so learn about the various debug and show commands.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

There is a man on this site named Ratdude747. His OS of choice is Linux. He may know something that can help you. PM him. He is always willing to help.
      "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
      Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
      John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
      Rod Serling

Comment

iptraf and tcpdump are your best friends in Linux.
        36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

what distro will you be using?

some basic concepts:

root- the most powerful user on the system, hence the alternate term "superuser". one "goes root" in the command line by either putting "sudo" before the command (debian based), or typing "sudo -i" (debian based) or "su -" (red-hat based, possibly others). sudo+command will give you superuser privliages for 10 min before having to re-type the password and has some limits on what you can do. the second option puts you in as full root, and you are root for an indefinente length of time.

module- kinda like drivers in windows, they are normallt loaded on boot or when somehting hot-pluggable is connected. more below.

a few basic commands that are mostly distro- independant: (*= must be root)

ls ^ - shows what files are in in directoty ^ (example: /etc/samba)
          lsmod- show what modules are loaded at the present time
          *modprobe ^ - load module ^
          lspci- shows all devices connectged by pci (includes ISA, AGP, PCI-e, cardbus, expresscard). no modules required- this is good for ruling out massive hardware problems and finding drivers for unknown hardware. (why even windows repair guys have a live linux disc handy)
          lsusb- shows all usb devices. again, handy for troubleshooting and driver finding.
          *reboot- the command line way or restarting a computer.

until i have a distro, i cannot say much more...
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Working...
          X