Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just when you thought polymers gave a PC eternal life! - The GX745 SFF Calamity!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just when you thought polymers gave a PC eternal life! - The GX745 SFF Calamity!

Them graphics sit between 80 and 100 °C as normal temp since like GTX 260…
    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Re: Just when you thought polymers gave a PC eternal life! - The GX745 SFF Calamity!

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
      Oh yeah, I thought it had older chipset but not, so it should take Q6600. Look for the latest stepping, that one has 95W TDP.
      I did a little reading (dangerous sometimes), this chipset should be able to accept any 1066FSB Kentsfield core C2Q.....any reason a GX745 couldn't/wouldn't run the C2Q 2.66GHz 1066FSB Q6700 (seems to be the fastest 1066FSB C2Q), if it can run the Q6600? They are the same core, same LGA package, same voltage, same TDP, and also cheap....I wouldn't buy one for the little I'd gain....but just for future reference incase anyone else has this question later on.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

you would need the microcode for it in the bios.
        there is software that can tell you what cpu support is in a bios.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
          you would need the microcode for it in the bios.
          there is software that can tell you what cpu support is in a bios.
          Given that a Q6600 will run, logic tells me the BIOS has the correct microcode....the only difference between the CPU's is the multiplier is one digit higher....but I could be wrong/you could be right....I don't have one to test with....
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

just make sure you update the bios before the cpu - that's my rule for avoiding un-necessary pain.

Comment

just make sure you update the bios before the cpu - that's my rule for avoiding un-necessary pain.
              I employ the same rule as well. It's saved me lots of headaches for sure! Unless I come across another GX745, I likely won't try this....This system isn't worth spending another $10 on...lol
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                Given that a Q6600 will run, logic tells me the BIOS has the correct microcode....the only difference between the CPU's is the multiplier is one digit higher....but I could be wrong/you could be right....I don't have one to test with....
                Is the microcode really any different than a 65nm Duo? The big problem with Kentsfield, is that they use a lot of watts per clock. A motherboard that does fine with a 65nm Duo, could have Kentucky-fried MOSFETS with a 65nm Quad!
                Kentsfields are basically a dual-65nm-Duo-sandwich.
                Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 11-27-2019, 08:16 PM.
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

a cpu can run without a microcode update,
                  that's not the issue - the issue is that most bioses wont run a cpu unless they have the cpu's ID bytes in an internal table.
                  think of it as whitelisting.

Comment

a cpu can run without a microcode update,
                    that's not the issue - the issue is that most bioses wont run a cpu unless they have the cpu's ID bytes in an internal table.
                    think of it as whitelisting.
                    What about the things that appear to be special cases, where an earlier socket 462 motherboard's BIOS reports "Unknown CPU", "Unknow CPU" or a similar string and seems to work fine?

I do know that when changing the CPU with one that has a lower-nm lithography, expect a boot failure, as they usually aren't even electrically compatible.
                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

i have had 1 board that could boot "unknown cpu", it was a japanese custom P4 motherboard for arcade systems that had a custom phoenix bios on it.
                      every other board i'v put an unrecognised cpu in has told me to GTFO.

the voltage for core and i/o is set by a couple of pins with resistors in the cpu, the bios can interpret them but the system doesnt really need it to.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                        I did a little reading (dangerous sometimes), this chipset should be able to accept any 1066FSB Kentsfield core C2Q.....any reason a GX745 couldn't/wouldn't run the C2Q 2.66GHz 1066FSB Q6700 (seems to be the fastest 1066FSB C2Q), if it can run the Q6600? They are the same core, same LGA package, same voltage, same TDP, and also cheap....I wouldn't buy one for the little I'd gain....but just for future reference incase anyone else has this question later on.
                        Likely depends on stepping, later steppings need different microcode, as guys already said.

Could be that it's now so cheap it does not matter, but usually it is that the most powerfull CPU of any given type costs both arms and legs, and the second or third are way cheaper yet only little slower. Q6600s was selling like hot cakes back in the time, while Q6700s and QX6800s almost not at all. I'd expect availability and pricing according to that.
                        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

having said that, a Q6600 may not be as fast as say an E8400/8600
                          with it's much larger cach.

Comment

And much faster core speed, however being 45nm lito and totally different core, it needs at least G31 to run properly. I think there were some special cases of 965 chipsets with support for that, but that was from retail board manufacturers. Some branded PCs also could run these with manual microcode update, but being limited by FSB speed, these CPUs than run 1/4 slower.

Comment

Thanks for the input. The Q6600 is performing very nice in this system.
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

Hey Topcat, I noticed that you put in Polys of a lesser rating. I have several 745's and I'm pretty sure those were 2200uF originally. Obviously those work, but how'd you figure what size? I've got 4 systems to recap, 2 mini-towers and 2 SFF's. Will those 1800's do the job for me?

Comment

Originally posted by elbrute View Post
                                  Hey Topcat, I noticed that you put in Polys of a lesser rating. I have several 745's and I'm pretty sure those were 2200uF originally. Obviously those work, but how'd you figure what size? I've got 4 systems to recap, 2 mini-towers and 2 SFF's. Will those 1800's do the job for me?
                                  The rule of thumb I've always used when polymodding a board is half the uF value of the lytic...or thereabouts. It's been solid as a rock.
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

OK, the cap you replaced at the 1800uF position appears to be a 1500uF, maybe a 1000uF, can't tell pic is too blurry there. Anyway, thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                                    X