Dead ATX power supply, please help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead ATX power supply, please help.

Antec VP500PC Made by CWT on GPA platform.
    No UPS
    • Was using the computer normally.
    • Sudden blackout!
    • Hadn't turn off the switches.
    • The electricity comes back and I hear some sort of spark.
    • The PC wouldn't boot up, not response at all!

I could see a burnt inductor from the PSU's meshed back.
    Please help me find the rating of this toroid inductor. The one next to the ceramic fuse. I am trying to fix the PSU, any schematic would help as well.
    (The core had white paint before it burnt, also had so much glue around it that had turned brown form white. )
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ashayalmighty; 05-25-2020, 12:37 AM. Reason: Accidently click on submit instead of preview.

Re: Dead ATX power supply, please help.

��helppp

Comment

Is the coil connected where the a/c line comes in? if it is it is not that critical and you could find some similar coated wire and rewind it, or find a similar coil from another power supply. If it IS connected directly to the a/c line you can replace it with a jumper wire to test if the power supply works.
      Post of picture of the trace side of the board to show how it is connected.
      Last edited by R_J; 05-27-2020, 10:56 AM.

Comment

I've attached the images.
        Video link.
        Thanks.
        Attached Files

Comment

It is not critical, you can install a wire in place of the coil if you like. Or find some coated wire and rewind the coil.
          Last edited by R_J; 05-27-2020, 01:56 PM.

Comment

nice, inductor fried itself to protect the fuse, that's a new one. Usually transistors do that.

Then again, likely there are fried transistors here after all is done and through...

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
              It is not critical, you can install a wire in place of the coil if you like. Or find some coated wire and rewind the coil.
              The inductor core is stripped off of the paint, do I need to repaint it or just skip it and directly rewind the core?

Comment

Originally posted by r_j View Post
                it is not critical, you can install a wire in place of the coil if you like. Or find some coated wire and rewind the coil.
                Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                nice, inductor fried itself to protect the fuse, that's a new one. Usually transistors do that.

Then again, likely there are fried transistors here after all is done and through...
                Is the any way to check the transistors and other components using a multimeter?

Comment

Originally posted by ashayalmighty View Post
                  The inductor core is stripped off of the paint, do I need to repaint it or just skip it and directly rewind the core?
                  You can just rewind it, You must use coated wire not bare copper wire. The paint color is only to indicate the core material etc.
                  If you do replace the coil, place some insulated material between the coil an the fuse to prevent them from touching and shorting.
                  Last edited by R_J; 05-28-2020, 10:30 AM.

Comment

You can just rewind it, You must use coated wire not bare copper wire. The paint color is only to indicate the core material etc.
                    Okay, thanks.
                    What gauge wire should I use though?

Comment

Originally posted by ashayalmighty View Post
                      Is the any way to check the transistors and other components using a multimeter?
                      Check that the bridge rectifier is not shorted, and also check if the main switching mosfets are not shorted.

If the coil was still making connection in the circuit the power supply should have still worked even though the coil was burnt. It was likely running hot for a long time. Were the connections on the coil loose or was the coil wire open circuit?
                      It should be safe to plug in and check if you have standby voltage. I would also check the board for poor solder connections
                      Last edited by R_J; 05-28-2020, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Check that the bridge rectifier is not shorted, and also check if the main switching mosfets are not shorted.

If the coil was still making connection in the circuit the power supply should have still worked even though the coil was burnt. It was likely running hot for a long time. Were the connections on the coil loose or was the coil wire open circuit?
                        It should be safe to plug in and check if you have standby voltage. I would also check the board for poor solder connections
                        The coil was open circuited.
                        I will check for any poor soldering connections.
                        I don't have any idea what stand by voltage is, I'd like to know more, is it the thing that's responsible for sleep and hibernation.
                        Last edited by ashayalmighty; 05-28-2020, 11:49 AM.

Comment

If the coil was open circuit, you can just use a short piece of wire to replace it for now, If you want to rewind the coil, use the same gauge wire that was on it, or something close. The coil is only there to prevent some of the power supplies switching noise from going back onto the power line. For the voltages look at a atx power supply plug pinout diagram.

Comment

Thank you very much every one!
                            I have successfully winded and soldered the coil, it was a week ago and everything has been working as good as new!
                            The only thing that didn't work is the hot glue that I used to hold the coil in place, it melted away, what kind of hot glue do the factories use? Anyone has any idea?

Thanks for the help!

Comment

You can just use some rtv silicon to secure it, but I would not be to concerned about its mounting since its not getting shipped around the country etc.

Comment

Then again this is not a good sign that the coil is getting hot... is it melting under no/low load?

Comment

Then again this is not a good sign that the coil is getting hot... is it melting under no/low load?
                                  This.

I've never had a coil just burst into flame for no reason.
                                  Rest in peace BFG. You were... a job...

Comment

The picture in the OP suggests that the inductor is a differential mode inductor, possibly wound on Micrometals -52 material. If that is correct (there is RTV that partly blocks the view) and if the original inductor over-heated, that could have affected the core's magnetic properties, causing the high temperature ashayalmighty mentioned.
                                    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                                    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

I don't actually know how much power the computer is actually using, but the computer is turned on (not idling) for at least 6-8 hours daily 7 days a week.
                                      Mostly web browsing and sometimes light gaming.
                                      And it's been at least a week of the aforementioned usage.

The glue stick I used was EVA, does that make any difference?
                                      Last edited by ashayalmighty; 06-24-2020, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jonnyGURU View Post
                                        This.

I've never had a coil just burst into flame for no reason.
                                        The coil did not burn when the computer was turned on (electricity was cut-off due to blackout), the computer was off but plugged in to the socket and when the light came back I heard some sort of spark and then the PC wouldn't turn on.
                                        Also I am not claiming that coils burn without any cause, I am saying that it was mostly likely a power surge.
                                        Last edited by ashayalmighty; 06-24-2020, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X