Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a normal composite signal range for a C64?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is a normal composite signal range for a C64?

Hello all,

Working on my first C64 / Breadbin / 250407. Purchased as non-working. Getting black screen.

More detail below, but for those that want to get right to the question.... Here are a few waveforms comparing the Pin15 output on the VIC chip (luma/sync) to the pin 4 on the AV socket (composite signal).

https://imgur.com/gallery/PpqcqPY

My question is: Is the composite waveform range of 0.1v-1v too low for a c64?

More detail:

Symptoms are that that I get black screen on power up. The TV clearly detects a signal as it swtiches from the "no signal" blue background to a black screen. Have tested composite and s-video, same result.

I went through my typical checks with the schematics and confirmed the voltage rails, all of the ICs are getting power/gnd, the address and data lines all show activity, and the various clock signals are present and are at the expected frequencies.

- Pin 15 (which I believe to be "luma/sync") on the VIC seems to show a signal of good strength and reasonable for a b&w "composite" signal (0.25-2.5v, sync pulse present, but curiously no apparent back porch).

- Pin 14 (WIBTB "color") shows what appears to be data but hovers around 6v.

As I measure the composite pin on the AV socket, though, I see a signal that looks identical to the luma/sync, but with only half the voltage. Only between 0.1v and 1v. This does not seem to be high enough.

I suspect the composite signal voltage may be too low - was expecting to see closer to the same level that the VIC is putting out on pin15. I also, though, read the pin15 output as looking like it would produce a solid bright line on the left of the screen, and the rest of the screen being medium dark. (If that is the case, which can't I see the bright line? Or maybe that is a "start of screen-visible part of the line" pulse. I will do more research on the composite waveform standards.)

However, given that screen is all black, and the composite waveform looks like a blank screen, maybe the composite voltage level is fine and the VIC is faithfully producing a blank screen because of an upstream problem that is resulting in there being nothing to show.

I have a dead test cartridge on the way.

Re: What is a normal composite signal range for a C64?

composite video is usually about 0.7v to 1v
    your tv/monitor has an ALC circuit to boost low levels anyway.

Comment

Re: What is a normal composite signal range for a C64?

It looks like a blank, black screen coming out of the VIC. I wonder how much initialization it requires from the CPU i.e. what does the VIC make with no data going to it. Your scope looks a bit slow for video, to see frame details.

The RF modulator schematics show additional circuitry (i.e. #251025 two emitter followers) for the luminance, chroma, composite outputs.
      So the AC voltage amplitude should be about the same, it's just a buffer with no voltage gain.

I would look elsewhere for the problem.

http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/c...c64/index.html

Comment

Working...
      X