Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 2019 Operating System Thread

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
    What?! I suspect a lot of .wav files, LOL.
    Not in 2003. MP3 became the audio standard in 1998.

My music collection started on an 18.2gb SCSI HDD that I paid out the ass for back in the 90's. It was filled in a matter of weeks.

The collection still exists....and has grown.

Attached Files
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

My music collection started on an 18.2gb SCSI HDD that I paid out the ass for back in the 90's. It was filled in a matter of weeks.

And I only have 18GB of mostly wma's... almost all from CD's I've goodwilled and ripped. Of that, 12GB is good stuff (what's on my phone and my truck's flash drive, and ~ 8GB is stuff I'll admit to having ripped (on my travel drive for use in company/rental vans)
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post

And I only have 18GB of mostly wma's... almost all from CD's I've goodwilled and ripped. Of that, 12GB is good stuff (what's on my phone and my truck's flash drive, and ~ 8GB is stuff I'll admit to having ripped (on my travel drive for use in company/rental vans)
        Bring a big USB3 HDD next time you come down this way. Lots of complete albums.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Bring a big USB3 HDD next time you come down this way. Lots of complete albums.
          But that's cheating the "Game"... I prefer to hunt my prey .
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by grss1982 View Post
            Voted Windows 7 and it has the lead.
            But what I find more interesting is that Windows XP has as many votes (so far) as Windows 10. Isn't that sad (about how badly people think of W10)?!

Meanwhile, Vista and 8/8.1 got none.
            2k and 9x got none too, but I think that's understandable, considering it's rather hard to get software for those and also fully compatible/usable with today's web.

Also, looks like the -nix crowd is further picking up steam (wait, is that a pun for SteamOS? ) compared to previous years.

I guess the future doesn't look that bright - pick either some outmoded Windows OS (2k/XP/7) or go with a -nix variant (no thanks, not for a desktop OS anyways :\ ).
            ... Or maybe I am just a cynic??

57 and after dropped legacy addon support, and no status bar = no use by me!
            FF 57 and after (called Quantum?) is a completely different animal from the FF we used to know. So I am threading "carefully" with it. That said, it does run very smooth on multi-core PCs and doesn't have that "take forever to start" problem. However, I haven't tried it on any old single-core PCs, so I can't say if it's any good for old PCs... and besides, you need Vista, 7, or newer for the new FF. It simply refuses to install on XP because it's too "outdated & insecure" according to the installer. Thus, I still keep good ol' pre-Quantum FF on my XP machines (mainly 24 Portable, 49-51 Portable, and 52 ESR.)

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
            Try living with 60 MEGAbytes!

And, before that, a pair of 1.4MB (8 inch!) floppies.
            Hehe. Well, I suppose each generation has some line they'd consider as "minimum". In my case, I'm a bit younger than you, probably by more than a few years.

I imagine the future kids of today's kids will probably all be in shock and awe if they were told how their supposed parents had to make-do with a 1st gen quad-core PCs and 0.5-1 TB HDDs.

Probably will be just like that... and kind of funny if you think about it.

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
            But, software was much less bloated, then. And, amusingly, you had almost comparable performance/productivity boost -- you just had to "work differently".
            Agreed.
            Much of today's stuff is terribly bloated. I'd say up to the early 2000's, most software was still fairly efficient. Late XP / early Vista is where things really started to take a nosedive, IMO.

What?! I suspect a lot of .wav files, LOL.
            Nope.
            Mostly MP3's and WMA's. As TC mentioned, MP3's were the norm in the early 2000's... and mostly low KB rate too (96/112/128 kbps).

I had very few WAV files, and I kept those compressed in RAR/ZIP to save space.

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post

And I only have 18GB of mostly wma's... almost all from CD's I've goodwilled and ripped.
            I guess I beat you all: about 11 GB total for my "personal" collection. Part of the reason it is so "small" is because I do NOT have entire CDs ripped, but only select songs that I like. There are very few groups/singers that I can say I like their entire CD/album (and I can count those on my fingers, really).

Otherwise, I have 3 or 4 hard drives with music I've found in discarded PCs. These vary anywhere from 20 to 80 GB each (for the ones that have mostly MP3s) and around 150 GB on one with WAV files. Still haven't gone through with what's on there on any of these.

But like RD747 says, I too "prefer to hunt my prey". In my case, that means adding only -songs- I like to my collection, and not entire albums. Thus the slow "growth". This also means most of the music on those found HDDs likely will get either erased or written onto DVD-Rs and probably never accessed again. Meanwhile, my 11 GB personal collection is nearly fully active - i.e. I am equally likely to access any of it on a weekly basis.
            Last edited by momaka; 01-15-2019, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Still running 7 on my main PC, XP on my 2nd (ABIT IP35 Pro w/ E6750) and 98SE on my 3rd (Acorp 5VIA77/Pentium MMX 200MHz).
              Main rig:
              Gigabyte B75M-D3H
              Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
              Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
              16GB DDR3-1600
              Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
              FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
              120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
              Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                Hehe. Well, I suppose each generation has some line they'd consider as "minimum". In my case, I'm a bit younger than you, probably by more than a few years.
                But, at the time, these were considered AMAZING workstations! You could be incredibly productive! With 1000 times the MIPS and memory/disk, I doubt that I can say I'm even 50% more "productive"! And, if I add in the costs (just the TIME!) of upgrading (installing software, etc.) over the years, I wonder if that produc tivity increase was offset by all of the "maintenance" that it required to put into place? :<

I guess I beat you all: about 11 GB total for my "personal" collection. Part of the reason it is so "small" is because I do NOT have entire CDs ripped, but only select songs that I like. There are very few groups/singers that I can say I like their entire CD/album (and I can count those on my fingers, really).
                By contrast, I have man "albums" that I truly only enjoy in their entirety. E.g., the various Who "rock operas", classics (Dark Side of the Moon would be a mess if Brain Damage didn't seemlessly melt into Eclipse; In the Court of the Crimson King "fits" together, delightfully, as a complete work), every "(live) concert recording", etc.

Plus, many of the titles are lengthy, by themselves (Alice's Restaurant, Billy the Mountain, Karn Evil 9, Pictures at an Exhibition, etc.)

But like RD747 says, I too "prefer to hunt my prey". In my case, that means adding only -songs- I like to my collection, and not entire albums. Thus the slow "growth". This also means most of the music on those found HDDs likely will get either erased or written onto DVD-Rs and probably never accessed again. Meanwhile, my 11 GB personal collection is nearly fully active - i.e. I am equally likely to access any of it on a weekly basis.
                I have music playing almost continuously, when I'm not having to interact with others (I don't like having to "talk over" music). So, often 8-12 hours a day. I don't want to keep hearing the same tunes every week or two. And, often, whatever "pops up" is incompatible with my current activity (I don't want to listen to head-banging music is I'm plodding through a technical article).

[I really need to find a better "music" app so I can more easily PICK which album I want to hear]

Comment

I was thinking that some people still used uncompressed formats, for better quality.

Also, that's a lot bigger than my collection of 1080p videos of Halo CE on my SSD, LOL!
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I was thinking that some people still used uncompressed formats, for better quality.
                    (again, harping on the "disk space is free" belief...)

I store music in a few different formats -- even if the format adds no extra quality/fidelity to the signal (e.g., converting MP3 to FLAC). This just makes it easier for me to access a particular "piece" in whatever format the device on which I intend to play it requires (or is most appropriate).

Its just easier to batch-recode everything and save the results than it is to have to recode (or even transcode!) "as needed".

E.g., the SSD in the car can't easily be removed or have its content updated so I want to recode to fit <whatever> content on it in the most economical form. OTOH, the thumb drives that I can plug into it can adopt a more inefficient format as I can keep a dozen 16/32G thumb drives in a little box in the glove compartment and swap them, periodically. OToOH, the music on my phone is more conveniently portable and has some constraints and benefits of each of these approaches.

Comment

I only mentioned some of the above, because I got word that some people don't like how MP3-encoded audio sounds.
                      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Same as last year and the year before, and not likely to change this year other than perhaps a new server build.

Main workstations win 7

MacBooks Some version MacOS

Test server machine some Linux flavour

Comment

Currently Windows XP with microsoft domain names etc removed from dnsapi.dll, and socket A
                          Why? Because of stuff such as this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNNeVu8wUak
                          Linux sucks = Dependency Hell.
                          There is quite some pressure from various directions to persistantly "upgade" - but, after giving this situation some reflection, there is most likely non-benevolent agendas behind, or taking advantage of, this 'evolving' system (eveing pushing their version of it, like a drug pusher would). A few days ago i saw someone that was working in a supermarket with an andriod phone strapped to their wrist, and it's getting to the point were you cant even get a job with some organizations if you dont use a 'smart' phone.
                          A lot of things turned to crap because of the advent of the mobile phone combined with ubiqutious stupordity.
                          Without integrity, and morality, many blessings have the potential to turn into curses.
                          Generally-speaking, we are living in an age were technology has way outpaced the evolution of morality.
                          It is our responsibly to do all that we can to create the world that we want to see, and come to some realization of the deeper truth that other is higher/lower/different forms of non-existent non-self, and that what goes around comes around
                          Jethro tull sang, in thick as a brick that "God is an overwhelming responsibility" - but also remember that many hands can make light work.
                          Last edited by socketa; 11-25-2019, 11:45 PM.

Comment

This poll is a bit screwed since no server OS is in the list.��

Comment

2008 server or 2012 server at least should be there.

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
                                This poll is a bit screwed since no server OS is in the list.��
                                Good point.
                                Should definitely have those for next year's thread.

Also maybe keep the thread open for 6 months or so (or at least 3).
                                That should give people more time to vote so we can get a more accurate idea of what everyone is using.

On that note, I find it amusing that, at least according to this year's poll, the number of people using Windows XP are almost as many as those using Windows 10, and still more than the Linux users.

Seems like many are just content with Win7. But now with EOL approaching and a good number of IT "professionals" pushing everyone to upgrade to Windows 10, because according to them "your computer will explode in a mighty fireball", we will see how this would change the results. Or maybe people have started warming up to Windows 10? (Or perhaps this was just an unintentional joke. )

I still don't know if I'll be transitioning to 7 this year or trying to stay super-legacy with XP for a few more years, if possible. It's mainly due to internet browsers: other than Firefox ESR, I'm not sure what else is out there that is still compatible with most websites. I love Opera 12 (the true Opera browser, not the Chromium-based crap), but it only works on a handful of websites properly anymore (one of them being badcaps.net, of course.)
                                Last edited by momaka; 11-27-2019, 08:02 AM.

Comment

well on a site like this the poll is inacurate anyway because most of us run mulltiple o.s.'s

btw, posting this using Opera12
                                  Version 12.16
                                  Build 1860
                                  Platform Linux
                                  System x86_64, 5.3.0-2-amd64

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
                                    2008 server or 2012 server at least should be there.
                                    I did that deliberately.... I use S2K12 R2 as a workstation OS as well...but very few do this....Linux would be more of a poll changer than windows server OS's.
                                    Originally posted by stj View Post
                                    well on a site like this the poll is inacurate anyway because most of us run mulltiple o.s.'s

btw, posting this using Opera12
                                    Version 12.16
                                    Build 1860
                                    Platform Linux
                                    System x86_64, 5.3.0-2-amd64

Of course the poll is inaccurate and always will be....this forum is a small handfull of users....very far from reality in terms of an accurate OS poll.
                                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                    Team Stats

Comment

Of course the poll is inaccurate and always will be....this forum is a small handfull of users....very far from reality in terms of an accurate OS poll.
                                      I think the point (?) of the "poll" isn't to tabulate results but, rather, to elicit comments on what and WHY.

The (mindless) masses are going to do whatever their PC tells them to do ("Upgrade now to Windows 635!") simply because there's no other "voice" offering them an EASY alternative.

Comment

You should have added "combinations of..."

Because like for my gaming rig, windows 10. Gotta have it for any semblance of modern gaming.

Shop box, Win 7 Pro

IF I upgrade my gaming box this year (which means combining my money with monetary gift percentages for the parts). I'll have a Ryzen 3x series cpu and Take my 6700K and use it as my shop box. Good thing is Skylake is the last offical Win7 supported intel CPU, so i'll keep it win7

My Ryzen 5 laptop, no choice, win10, my haswell gaming laptop, Could go with 7 but there are some sleep/wake and screen brightness issues with win7, so it has to be 10

oh yeah my shuttle HTPC/Emulator host, which is an i5-6600T, is win7 Home Prem
                                        Last edited by Uranium-235; 11-28-2019, 02:17 AM.
                                        Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                                        ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

And another Ubuntu Server rig joins the fleet today. Ubuntu Server 16.04.6 LTS running on a 15 year old computer acting as a network bridge between a wired and a wireless network.
                                          Last edited by TechGeek; 11-28-2019, 06:21 AM. Reason: hit post too early
                                          Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                                          RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                                          Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                                          - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                                          - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                                          - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                                          - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                          X