Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do you resolve problems with ebay (and other shop) scammers!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do you resolve problems with ebay (and other shop) scammers!?

When i need to replace cpu or gpu or pch ...i mostly order reballed chip from china, but lately there are more broken ones then working.
    So lately i tried with ebay "not working motherboards". I ordered a few broken motherboards from ebay but i have found out that there are many scammers on ebay. The most of them are selling already destroyed motherboards with pictures in low resolution, some of them are being scammed and just scam forwarding...
    First board i ordered last month was ok. Cpu was dead but i could use gpu and pch. The second arrived 2 weeks ago...and it was shorted everywhere...traces of soldering all over the board, mosfets, resistors, caps missing, gpu clearly cooked in bakery and so on. The photograph seller posted was in very low resolution but on first he seemed ok because the other items he was selling were shoes...I ask him on private what is it with the board? he told me that it was dead and he just bought new one and replaced that old. Now i confronted him... and he is telling lies like "i replaced the motherboard" in the repair shop and maybe they were trying to fix it and so on... and in the end he told me ..:"on auction it was clearly stated that motherboard is not working"
    My question is (because i dont have expirience with ebay) can i open dispute? i mean he did wrote that item is defective but never "missing componens" "tried to repair" and so on...Or i just should forget about it and accept i was scammed?
    And if its so do you have any tip in the future to insure that these thing will never happen again?

Re: how do you resolve problems with ebay (and other shop) scammers!?

You could try to make a claim but it was sold as faulty, however a polite message to ebay will only take a few minutes to craft.
    I'd accept the loss and only buy from sellers with better photos that have nothing to hide.
    Double checking with sellers by message before purchasing.

Comment

Do not go by that it does not work because I have been burned a couple of times thinking that it just a little problem but turns out that the device was totally dead and going to cost to much to repair so I now only buy items that do not work either because I want the enclosure to repair something that I have or I have a damaged board and taking my chances that the one I buying is not in worse shape than the one that I have already

eBay will not help you in this situation because if it clearly state that is for parts and does not work correctly and is as is you are out of luck so buyer beware

I still buy not working for parts only I completely understand that I have no recourse when buying something like this so I make sure that I get it as cheap as possible and willing to take the risk

What I have done in the past is ask the seller for better pictures if seller does not respond or put some some what better pictures but you still can not see what you need to see then just do not buy it because more than likely they do not want you to see how bad the device is and I personally would not buy from a seller if they are not completely transparent with what they are selling but this is just me

I have in the past ask a seller if this is a stock picture or is it the actual item that is for sale because this can bit you in the a** as well so be careful with this as well

One clue is if says for recycling purposes this could be a real give away that it is probably been stripped already

Tool battery packs that I have bought in the past on eBay that I was trying fix battery packs with bad BMS protection boards sometimes the issue was just some bad cells but the BMS protection board still working correctly this was a win but some time it was that the BMS protection board was so bad but the batteries were still good but this is rare for this type of failure see below

One other type of failure that sometimes can be repaired is if the mosfets failure but this if-e and sometimes a waste of time but it sometimes worthwhile to give it a try

I have repaired tool battery packs in the past from not working battery packs but I also have had some that had the same exact issue with the battery packs that I was trying to repair so it is if-e

Another clue is if they say that they do not know what wrong with it or they do not have a way to test it this might mean that it could be a scam or they really do not have a way to test it and it really depends on how the seller respond to you to weather or not to trust what they are telling you is real or not

Here is an example of what to stay away from I need to repair some Milwaukee M18 battery packs but will stay away from this seller

This by itself is not necessary a red flag until you see the part that I have in red then it becomes a red flag for me

https://www.ebay.com/itm/39410881760...3ABFBM2Ja92eBg

Because of this description that is in red because these might be messed with already not worth the risk that is just me unless I offer something like $20.00 for the 10 and not what the seller is asking for

“ For parts only and repair only. These batteries are defective, they have been tested and did not turn on or charge. These batteries are heavily used, and may be missing factory screws.”

The reason to stay away from this is because they are known that they have bad batteries because they state that they have been heavily used this is another red flag but not on it own but everything else that is in the description

Now I am not saying that this seller is not transparent but might not be saying everything either so this is also a red flag for me as well

Now if I want to be quite I would ask the seller what was looked at if it is missing the factory screws but probably would not get a response or some type vague response

I hope this helps you in the future
      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 09-03-2022, 05:33 PM.
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
      10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
      6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
      1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
      25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
      6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply
      1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
      2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
      All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Let me explain to you how EBAY works.
        If you bought an item and you know u been scammed Do the following.

Open a dispute on your purchase with ITEM NOT AS DESCRIBED
        Send seller short message Not as described. And wait.

The magic is Ebay using AUTOMATED system for all sales below 500£ and you are guaranteed to win. If seller ignores you, u get automatic refund. Otherwise seller issues u a return print label.

Do not engage with seller as you might say something silly and it can be used against you in appeal process.

Simpe Not as Described. The less u say the Better it is for you.

If you a seller this is what will happen and there is fak all u can do.

Comment

I'll generally not buy something as "not working" but I don't have an issue with "untested." I also won't buy something on ebay that's a popular item that generally requires repairs, i.e. game consoles, fancy video cards, etc. Most of my ebay purchases tend to be obscure items (wierd commercial equipment), and cheap enough that if I have to make major repairs, I'm ok with it.

If there's a question, I'll look through the buyer's other for sale items and see if there are any signs of trickery. Also, anything less than 98% feedback is pretty much a no-go for me.

Comment

Originally posted by clearchris View Post
            I'll generally not buy something as "not working" but I don't have an issue with "untested." I also won't buy something on ebay that's a popular item that generally requires repairs, i.e. game consoles, fancy video cards, etc. Most of my ebay purchases tend to be obscure items (wierd commercial equipment), and cheap enough that if I have to make major repairs, I'm ok with it.

If there's a question, I'll look through the buyer's other for sale items and see if there are any signs of trickery. Also, anything less than 98% feedback is pretty much a no-go for me.
            I with you on this and most of the time I go with this but there are times that I will if the price is right and I look closely at the reviews of other that have dealt with this seller and do not see any red flags I might take a chance buying something from the seller

The lowest feedback rating that I will consider is 95% but it depends on what the negative and neutral reveals about this seller and how they treated there customers
            Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 09-07-2022, 12:31 PM.
            9 PC LCD Monitor
            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
            30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
            10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
            6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
            1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
            25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
            6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
            1 Dell Mother Board
            15 Computer Power Supply
            1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
            2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
            All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
              You could try to make a claim but it was sold as faulty, however a polite message to ebay will only take a few minutes to craft.
              I'd accept the loss and only buy from sellers with better photos that have nothing to hide.
              Double checking with sellers by message before purchasing.
              If nothing else if he reports the problem, then if Ebay takes some responsibility, they may stop the deceptive practices like they used to when I was willing to buy from them.

Comment

When buying defective devices for parts scavenging, I'd need to make sure the parts you want to salvage is clear in photos, and the seller can demonstrate those parts are working, before making a bid. If they can't for either, the value of their item drops significantly to me.

I ended up buying an oscilloscope "for parts or repair" and was lucky to be able to repair it mostly. Still not perfect as I don't have the tools to fully calibrate it , but at least it was exactly as I expected it to be...

Comment

Thank you all for the tips

Comment

Working...
                  X