No Intel Management Engine (ME) version detected in bios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Intel Management Engine (ME) version detected in bios

Hi, I have a few different motherboard from different vendor and generation (Z77, Z87 and X99) that are "missing" the Intel ME.
    I successfully flashed the bios using an external programmer with the bios file directly downloaded from the manufacturer and verified the ME was present (in the file) with the "ME Analyser" python script.
    Then after flashing and doing a full clear cmos and so on I still have the ME missing (detected as "N/A") with some functionnality (depending on the board) missing such as frequency reading/overclocking and so on.
    I even read the bios chip again after the first boot and checked if the ME was present and it was, so the ME is really on the bios chip but the board refuse to use it...
    I speculate the chipset might be partly defective in those case, is it something really possible ?
    Thanks for the help

Re: No Intel Management Engine (ME) version detected in bios

Originally posted by TheQuentincc View Post
    Hi, I have a few different motherboard from different vendor and generation (Z77, Z87 and X99) that are "missing" the Intel ME.
    I successfully flashed the bios using an external programmer with the bios file directly downloaded from the manufacturer and verified the ME was present (in the file) with the "ME Analyser" python script.
    Then after flashing and doing a full clear cmos and so on I still have the ME missing (detected as "N/A") with some functionnality (depending on the board) missing such as frequency reading/overclocking and so on.
    I even read the bios chip again after the first boot and checked if the ME was present and it was, so the ME is really on the bios chip but the board refuse to use it...
    I speculate the chipset might be partly defective in those case, is it something really possible ?
    Thanks for the help
    It could be a problem with the ME disable strap , or HDA_*** audio chip voltage. Have any of the PCH chips been replaced ?
    One thing you can try is to force a reset using intel FPT ,flash programming tool using the command FPTW64.exe -greset ,and install the Management engine drivers from the motherboard support site or from winraid https://winraid.level1techs.com/t/in...ols-2-15/30719
    Last edited by SMDFlea; 03-02-2023, 06:52 AM.
    All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Re: No Intel Management Engine (ME) version detected in bios

Hi, this is a difficult situation. As far as I understand the topic, the ME software needs to be programmed physically into the chipset's non-volatile memory to be working. If it's once happened to be missing in the chipset it needs to be reprogrammed again. Unfortunately I don't know a good universal method to do it. Only what I can suggest is how to do it for ASUS board's. I observed that programming the BIOS with the oldest version of the BIOS can help, as ASUS BIOS somehow checks if the ME is in the chipset, and if not it programs it into the chipset from the BIOS chip during the first run after the BIOS programming. A message is displayed in the left top corner of the screen, if you see this message you can be happy. Unfortunately this does not work with other vendors boards.

There is also a topic about this on the Winraid forum:

https://winraid.level1techs.com/t/in...sitories/30869

There is some software and all of the ME versions available, maybe also a way for programming the ME, but I never got through this topic to understand how to program the ME, as it seems to be quite complicated. But maybe worth to look into.
      Last edited by DynaxSC; 03-04-2023, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X