Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extract bios password from EliteBook 840 G8 Bios dump, possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Extract bios password from EliteBook 840 G8 Bios dump, possible?

Hi,
    I have managed to unlock my HP 850 G8.
    Big thx for all the hints and instructions here in this forum!

Since I have started from scratch with this topic and invested quite some hours I'd like to share my experience. Hope it is useful.

What you need:

Hardware (all bought on amazon)
    • Hot Air Heat Gun - I have bought the cheapest (885D - 50€)
    • Programmer - T48 Programer (130€) be careful you have a SOIC8 to DIP8 adapter included.
      The adapter did not fit 100% to the chip so I need to remove some plastic inside adapter so all pins had a connection. But maybe I was just stupid
    • Flux paste (10€, actually no clue what it does but everyone on youtube was using it)

Software
    • Xgpro v12.5 and drivers downloaded (just downöpad from vendor website)
    • HxD64 hex editor (google)

Steps:
    • Disassemble the notebook and get the mainboard out. There is a nice video on youtube from HP support showing how to remove the system board. Just search for "Removing & Replacing Parts | HP EliteBook 850 G8 Notebook PC"
    • Find the bios chip with the tag U366 U368 next to the chip in white letters. On the chip it says "winbond 25Q256JVEN". I didn't touch the other chip on the mainboard front side U367
    • Now start heating the chip. I used a temperature of 340°C and it took around 30sec until I could remove the chip. So no worries, it finally moves . There is not much to explain about the heating gun, I used the 2nd biggest adapter, plugged it in and started.
    • Plugin the programmer, install drivers and start software. Follow the instructions. It updated the firmware on first start but otherwise worked smoothly. USB programmer connection status was ok
    • Select the right chip (in top menu: Select IC(S), search for 25Q256JV. I got 6 results and selected the W25Q256JV@WSON8 chip. (Probably also works with the others no clue as well)
    • Click on READ now and the tool shows you already which adapter to use and how to plug in. Click "View adapter" and you get a picture as well.
    • Put the chip in the adapter and click on Read. It took me several tries until the read was successful. The tool is quite helpful and shows you what went wrong, which pin has a problem etc.
    • Once you could read the chip, save the bin, save a copy and open it in hex editor HxD64
    • I didn't want to upload my bin here so I analyzed three different 850 G8 bin pairs of locked and unlocked files from this threat. In all of them was the same difference. From line 00037000 there was a text starting with "NvramActiveRegn" until line around 00037BC0. As in the other unlocked files I replaced them with FF values. Then I saved it as a new file
    • In the Xgpro click on LOAD and open the unlocked file. Then click on PROG and flash it to the chip. In my case it was successful at the 1st try.
    • Take the chip and solder it back to the main board. Here this was difficult tome. Took me 3 times until it worked. The first 2 times the notebook did not start. The numlock and capslock where blinking six time. Also from this threat I knew that it is probably a soldering issue. So it only worked when I was putting flux on the board, pre heated it a little bit, put the chip exactly in position and pressed it a little with a screwdriver while I was heating. Also I heated longer this time around 40sec
    • The notebook takes a bit for the first boots, It blinks, reboots a few times. But when the screen pops up press F10 and go to the BIOS setup. You get a few errors about security, changed policy etc which you need to confirm. When in the menu go to the security menu and set security back to factory. It will again reboot 2-3 times and ask you to confirm some stuff and enter a pin shown on the screen. Once done go again to BIOS menu and reset BIOS also to factory
      --> be sure to do that on the 1st boot and don't miss it. I did something wrong here and the notebook was showing me a key error on every boot and all of a sudden not booting at all. With the caps lock light on but no way to boot it. Even after removing CMOS, battery etc no way. I HAD TO REDO ALL STEPS , get the chip out, flash and solder it in again. Try to avoid that
    • My chip looks pretty damaged now but everything works like a charme

Comment

Originally posted by stylius View Post
      That tool use to extract all this info? I hope not hex editor.
      There will be EfiSystemNvDataFvGuid under BIOS region. There you will find VSS2 store.Inside you find All the DMI that you need

Comment

pls help unlock 840 g8
        Attached Files

Comment

Sir please i have this bios locked
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mac2sell View Post
            Sir please i have this bios locked

Unlocked:
            Attached Files
            ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            All donations to Badcaps are welcome.
            Become a Badcaps supporter
            >>>>> click on this link to donate <<<<<
            Thanks to all supporters.
            ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Doctrina est fructus dulcis, radicis amarae.

Comment

pls help me to unlock y files too

Comment

Originally posted by ismy4real View Post
                pls help me to unlock y files too
                ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Due to a lack of donations, server free space at a critical level, and possible closure of Bios Requests
                all donations are welcome,
                see the donate button at the bottom of the page, or
                >>>>>
                click on this link to donate via PayPal. <<<<<
                Every donation made will go towards server fees and maintenance costs.
                ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Vesko356; 03-27-2023, 03:37 AM.

Comment

thanks sir

Comment

can unpass BRIGHTON 6050A3037501-MB-A01 pls
                    Last edited by SMDFlea; 03-29-2023, 02:02 AM. Reason: off topic

Comment

Here is your unlocked file
                      Last edited by SMDFlea; 03-29-2023, 02:02 AM. Reason: off topic

Comment

Originally posted by alfredposadas09
                        and give me the serial number of your laptop
                        this is the another file and serial 5CG0286QF3

THANK YOU
                        Last edited by SMDFlea; 03-29-2023, 02:03 AM. Reason: off topic

Comment

Originally posted by geani5 View Post

THANK YOU
                          This thread is about ElliteBook 840 G8, your request is for EliteBook x360 1040 G6.

Read forum rules.

You MUST NOT:
                          • Hijack threads unrelated to your request
                          • Post a request in multiple threads
                          • Post a request multiple times

Comment

EliteBook x360 1040 G6.

Comment

Originally posted by geani5 View Post

THANK YOU
                              See posts 292 and 293 .Off topic

All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Hi all, pls help unlock 840 g8 (Admin password)
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Barboska; 03-29-2023, 08:37 AM.

Comment

bro no need 1mb bios...... just flash 32mb bottom ec and 32 main bios upper
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by alfredposadas09; 03-29-2023, 09:10 AM. Reason: wrong ec file.. the ec and main bios is not match.. mine is t37.. but his bios is t76

Comment

bro can u upload ur original ec ? pls i need thanks

Comment

bro dont flash my 32mb ec.. but the 32mb main is okay I patch it and tested 100%... please upload your 32mb ec original here and I will unlock it for u

Comment

Originally posted by Barboska View Post
                                        Hi all, pls help unlock 840 g8 (Admin password)
                                        to alfredposadas09, this ec?
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by Barboska; 03-30-2023, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Barboska View Post
                                          to alfredposadas09, this ec?
                                          now this is your ec no pass... the main bios file is the first i gave you
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X