Should I use this solder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I use this solder?

I inherited this old spool of Ersin Multicore. I'm about to recap a KRK VXT6 powered reference speaker. From what I've read, this solder is better for the job than the others I've got on hand, Kester 50/50 or Tandy 60/40.
    I'm asking though, because I don't understand much of the label and haven't been able to find a datasheet for this exact product.
    Thanks for your input.
    Attached Files

Re: Should I use this solder?

it's re-datasheet

label says 1.2mm 60/40 with mildly activated rosin flux
    throw away the first few inches - the flux will have absorbed moisture.

Comment

Thank you! I've been reading a ton of articles on soldering recently and you're the first person to mention the flux absorbing moisture.

Comment

it turns white if it gets wet - you can tell if a board with flux on it has been exposed to damp that way.

Comment

Good to know, thanks.

Comment

I have a feeling only the water soluble fluxes could absorb water... the rosin/colophony fluxes ("brown stuff" versus the water soluble and no-clean fluxes) I have a hard time seeing them absorbing water?

I would think all old solders are either rosin/colophony, acid (ZnCl2 or the like, which incidentally are bad on electronics) or no-flux. It's only the recent times with mass production and RoHS requirements that these funky solders are available...

Comment

the old rosin solders turn white - trust me.
              i have to be very carefull to deflux old boards before washing them in the sink or they look terrible.

Comment

perhaps the question is how old is old.

Real *rosin/colophony* (brown flux usually) core solders are not water soluble and can't turn white. These need IPA to remove, water won't clean them off. (Ever have really old point to point soldered electronics? they don't have white deposits, just brown sh*t at the joints and they stay that way even after 50 years!)

RoHS no-clean and water soluble fluxes use organic acids that should vaporize but if there is any residue that you can't see, it will turn white after being exposed to water as it crystallizes.

Zinc Chloride (inorganic acid flux) should never be used on electronics... and this is white from the start.

I think my RoHS solder (lead free) probably has the white organic acid flux, if I chop off a bit of the solder I can see the center flux is white instead of dark brown.
                Last edited by eccerr0r; 02-16-2023, 10:14 AM.

Comment

80's old
                  the flux isnt water soluable, it's absorbant

Comment

Still think something is very fishy here.
                    Colophony/rosin does not absorb water, it was meant to repel water in pine trees. If it really did absorb water, then there would be this white mess on these ancient 1950s radios that were using them exclusively. But instead we see the brown residue which is still as active as a flux as it was when it was applied...

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                      Still think something is very fishy here.
                      Colophony/rosin does not absorb water, it was meant to repel water in pine trees. If it really did absorb water...
                      Old flux generaly are made from colophony (destilated rosin), the alcohol aka Isopropil or etanol and some other aditives like castor oil (mix with water), glicerine (also alcohol), camphor...

Till pure colophony is not melted in water, if is mixed with any alcohol, alcohol will allow to apsorb water. If alcohol evaporate, the rossin stay firm. Glicerine can not evaporate at all in standard electronic work, and white color might be from that reason.

Comment

Okay, now we're getting somewhere. Glycerin could be involved. But it itself or water does not give white deposits, it must be something mixed in the glycerin. However I'd say glycerin is more recent "new" RoHS type flux component that's not used with pine resin?

Comment

maybe it's caused by chemicals in the water.
                          the protocols of zion dictate we have to drink silver nitrate, chlorine, flouride etc.

Comment

I've seen some of those nasty white deposits, there's not enough of those ions in tap water to settle out in the board, and definitely less in the stuff in the water used to make the flux, so that's ruled out. Still think it only can be some no-clean or water soluble flux with glycerin and some organic acid that would cause the white deposits if not properly cleaned.

In any case you wouldn't be washing resin/colophony flux with water as you'd need at least IPA to clean it off?

Comment

I don't get it why people go for for cheap labels .. I still use Billiton solder since childhood and it's like dealing with silver , literally spoken . Pay more and keep headaches away ...

Comment

never heard of billiton.
                                i only use stannol

Comment

Billition is originally an English company of multi resources and tasks . It merged in 2001 and became BHP Ltd. and Billiton PLC . One of the world's largest mining companies , it is involved in the production of iron, steel , copper , tin , silver , aluminum , oil , and gas . The company also has interests in engineering and transportation . BHP Billiton's headquarters are in Melbourne , Australia .

Its solder is of the highest possible quality , with high standards .There are Lot of online Billiton sellers including Ebay and Amazon . Here in Lebanon , it's Naggiar Company as sole agents for Billiton .

I never heard of Stannol , so it's your turn now ..

Comment

Ersin seems very popular even in the USA somehow. I have a roll of silver Ersin multicore.

I do have Kester solder which is a very large USA brand.

I really don't have a preference, just needs to be the right flux and metal mix for the job - all solder manufacturers have different formulations too... for both metal mix and flux mix.

Comment

Originally posted by jiroy View Post
                                      I never heard of Stannol , so it's your turn now ..
                                      stannol is one or the worlds largest solder companies, based in germany and supplying solder and fluxes to other companies.
                                      https://www.stannol.de/

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                        stannol is one or the worlds largest solder companies, based in germany and supplying solder and fluxes to other companies.
                                        https://www.stannol.de/
                                        Well , it's always good to define and count the trusted companies and consequently an excellent product . Actually , I've got this habit from my older brother .
                                        What's his trick ? .. it's the higher price !! He always goes for the highest levels while always not satisfied , lol .... When buying something , he makes a hell of a mess in shops , making the sellers show most of their goods , and then asking stupidly , don't you have something more reliable and expensive ? ..
                                        He usually buys when the sellers give up ...

Comment

Working...
                                        X