New to me PC, CPU Choice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to me PC, CPU Choice?

I'm building a "new to me" PC. The board is an Asrock 970M Pro 3. Her is the CPU support list.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970M%20Pro3/#CPU

I want to get the fastest 8 thread 95W CPU I can for the thing. It looks like that's the Vishera 8310 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...icroprocessors). But looking on eBay that seems to be a harder to come by CPU and a little over $110. The Vishera 8300 is a smidge slower, but more readily available and cheaper at around $75. Which should I choose?

If I go for a 125W CPU like the 8350 or 8370 I will need a new power supply, is the increase in speed worth the $$ in extra hardware?

Also I need a cooler for it, any reccomendation for something affordable. I will not be overclocking.

Re: New to me PC, CPU Choice?

what dodgy af psu do you have that can't run a 125w cpu ? and tbh even the extra little mhz boost would benefit as these dinosaur design fx are not good at all at single core performance cause they have a really low instruction per clock capability vs intel haswell gen which was their main rival and obliterated them in single core and ipc performance in games intel runned far away from amd fx

Comment

So, you couldn't even get a Pinnacle Ridge (second-gen Ryzen) or a Summit Ridge (first-gen Ryzen) build? (socket AM4) (socket AM4 is the first to use DDR4, while Intel did, since Skylake (Skylake was launched in 2015) )

FYI, back in the FX era, pretty much only Asus made motherboards worth a thing! You will be lucky to get ones from others that are OK-ish.

For socket FM2/FM2+: (also before Ryzen)

I have to admit that I have an FX-architecture-based Athlon X4, which is pretty much an FX with 2 modules. (Kaveri, which is the code name for the 860K) (possibly the same for the ones with the APUs, which are A8xxx)
      (Richland was the one before Kaveri, which is AMD's version of P4, LOL!) (Richland was identified by A68xx series for APUs) and (7xx for the Athlons)
      Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 06-06-2021, 05:00 PM.
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
        So, you couldn't even get a Pinnacle Ridge (second-gen Ryzen) or a Summit Ridge (first-gen Ryzen) build? (socket AM4) (socket AM4 is the first to use DDR4, while Intel did, since Skylake (Skylake was launched in 2015) )
        Well, "could" is a notional concept

I got about 1/2 the hardware for this upgrade build for free. My current PC is an Athlon X2 with 16GB ram, they new one will have 32GB and a new CPU, so while I get this isn't going to be cutting edge it should be a lot better then what I currently have. I could just put my current CPU in the build but I would like to "upgrade" if I can.

So back to my original question is the 8310 worth then $30 more than the 8300, and what heatsink should I get?

Comment

Originally posted by SluggerB View Post
          Well, "could" is a notional concept

I got about 1/2 the hardware for this upgrade build for free. My current PC is an Athlon X2 with 16GB ram, they new one will have 32GB and a new CPU, so while I get this isn't going to be cutting edge it should be a lot better then what I currently have. I could just put my current CPU in the build but I would like to "upgrade" if I can.

So back to my original question is the 8310 worth then $30 more than the 8300, and what heatsink should I get?
          I never saw the 8310s. For heatsinks, I would give this a try, as CoolerMaster heatsinks can be difficult to install:

https://www.newegg.com/noctua-nh-d15...quicklink=true
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Waste of time honestly. Only reason I still run something on that platform is I got an FX8320, 16GB of RAM, and a MB with 8 SATA ports and ton of PCI-E ports for more SATA cards... for free.

BTW the darn thing uses 300-400W at idle. Albeit with 16 hard drives. But most of them are 5400rpm/5900rpm.

I can send you a free 1155 board if you want. Just pay shipping. Yes it's an old platform too but at least useful... If you want it PM me.
            Last edited by shovenose; 06-06-2021, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
              Waste of time honestly. Only reason I still run something on that platform is I got an FX8320, 16GB of RAM, and a MB with 8 SATA ports and ton of PCI-E ports for more SATA cards... for free.

BTW the darn thing uses 300-400W at idle. Albeit with 16 hard drives. But most of them are 5400rpm/5900rpm.

I can send you a free 1155 board if you want. Just pay shipping. Yes it's an old platform too but at least useful... If you want it PM me.
              Heck, I've still got lga771/775 systems in my 'active pool'....and no plans to replace them
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
              Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
              http://folding.stanford.edu/
              Team : 49813
              Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                Heck, I've still got lga771/775 systems in my 'active pool'....and no plans to replace them
                what purpose do these 'active pool' systems do?
                Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                  what purpose do these 'active pool' systems do?
                  For instance, the most heavily used system I own; office machine....doing functions of probably 90% of systems out there....lots of browsing, media playing, lots of other weird tasks...zero gaming. Dual LGA771. Any other questions?
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

I'm building a "new to me" PC. The board is an Asrock 970M Pro 3. Her is the CPU support list.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970M%20Pro3/#CPU

I want to get the fastest 8 thread 95W CPU I can for the thing. It looks like that's the Vishera 8310 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...icroprocessors). But looking on eBay that seems to be a harder to come by CPU and a little over $110. The Vishera 8300 is a smidge slower, but more readily available and cheaper at around $75. Which should I choose?

If I go for a 125W CPU like the 8350 or 8370 I will need a new power supply, is the increase in speed worth the $$ in extra hardware?

Also I need a cooler for it, any reccomendation for something affordable. I will not be overclocking.
                    how much are you paying for this whole thing? Maybe we can find a better deal. Noses 1155 board is a good idea. sandy/ivy bridge chips beat the crap out of those FX's
                    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

dont forget to run any intel bios through ME Cleaner.
                      https://github.com/corna/me_cleaner/...cleaner-status

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                        how much are you paying for this whole thing? Maybe we can find a better deal. Noses 1155 board is a good idea. sandy/ivy bridge chips beat the crap out of those FX's
                        I got the motherboard and RAM for free. I am moving my existing HDD's, Power Supply, and video card over since they meet my needs just fine. The only $$ I've spent is for a new case since it's a mATX board and I wanted a pretty white one.

I could just swap my current CPU over and call it a day but if I can upgrade to a newer one for better performance for $75 I'm OK with that. My current CPU is a AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz Quad-Core. It's REALLY old. But the only "intensive" thing I do with this PC is host VM's and my current Phenom/16GB RAM does that just fine (for my needs) so I would imagine a newer CPU and double the RAM and Cores would make it even better. I do zero PC gaming it just doesn't interest me.
                        Last edited by SluggerB; 06-07-2021, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Take my board buy an i7 2600 on eBay for $65 and be happy

Comment

That would be a decent one as well. My home system is exactly that with 16gb RAM and a SSD; Optiplex 990SFF.
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                              That would be a decent one as well. My home system is exactly that with 16gb RAM and a SSD; Optiplex 990SFF.
                              Yeah, that CPU is no slouch. Plenty of power for even modern games unless you're doing multi-monitor 4k 144hz or something haha. I mean, sure, compared to the latest i7 it's a joke but it's still enough for 95% of normal folks with normal use cases. i'm still using an i7-6700 for my main personal/work/gaming PC.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.../1vs3747vs2598

Comment

Would it be compatible with the RAM I got?

Comment

Just the usual PC3-10600.
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

it's a biostar h61mgv3. kinda lowend board, only two ram slots. what do you plan to use the pc for?

Comment

it's a biostar h61mgv3. kinda lowend board, only two ram slots. what do you plan to use the pc for?
                                      Hosting VM's, and I have 4 sticks of RAM so I would need 4 slots. Thanks for the offer though

So back to my original question, 8300 for $75 or 8100 for $115? And links to a compatible heatsink? Thanks!

Comment

I'd go for the fx8350 myself.

Comment

Working...
                                        X